buying a camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    love the photography, mainly action shots of the dogs, not got the best of cameras but got a decent lens. Canon 450d but got the 70-300 f4 L series lens.
    450 is a great camera, a friend used to have one. he's sold tons of the photos he's taken with the 450. I bought the 500d just because it did video, something that in the end I never really used....
    ended up selling it and bought a 7d instead, more for the fps it can fire at. sounds amazing at full chat.
    I've got the efs 15-85mm lens, this lens and the 7d were more or less made hand in hand with each other, for an efs lens the quality is stunning. also had a nice telephoto lens but sold it as it never got used.
    the lens mainly on the camera is the good old canon fantastic plastic 50mm 1.8f £70 brand new and the value for money is simply unmatched.
    if I need a tele lens I borrow one of someone else now. I borrowed a Canon 80-200 F2.8 L aka the "Magic Drainpipe" from a mate while I was on holiday. loved it.
    :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by haggishunter View Post
      450 is a great camera, a friend used to have one. he's sold tons of the photos he's taken with the 450. I bought the 500d just because it did video, something that in the end I never really used....
      ended up selling it and bought a 7d instead, more for the fps it can fire at. sounds amazing at full chat.
      I've got the efs 15-85mm lens, this lens and the 7d were more or less made hand in hand with each other, for an efs lens the quality is stunning. also had a nice telephoto lens but sold it as it never got used.
      the lens mainly on the camera is the good old canon fantastic plastic 50mm 1.8f £70 brand new and the value for money is simply unmatched.
      if I need a tele lens I borrow one of someone else now. I borrowed a Canon 80-200 F2.8 L aka the "Magic Drainpipe" from a mate while I was on holiday. loved it.
      If I could have afforded the f2.8 the version of mine I would have jumped at the chance but even second hand they were about£8-900 at the time, I doubt they are much different now as they seem to hold their value.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by haggishunter View Post
        yeah they are nice. I'm more a fan of rocket ships disguised as estates..... rs6? that'll do nicely

in your water section the ones with the weirs, the one at the end with what looks like an old mill, albeit a small one, really like that.
        water is a firm favourite of mine to shoot, so many things can be done with it. spent hours photographing rain hitting a railing on the balcony of my rented flat, wasn't really sure what I was trying to achieve but in the end, out of over 1000 photos from it I got 3 photos worth keeping, of the 3 there was only one nice one.
        Just outside Applebey that, Rutter Force. Really easy to get photos of with the bridge across the river at the ford below it

DSLR would be the best route to go down agreed, i was just thinking of expense if it was going to be used just for cue action and maybe family or holiday shots, plus buying a DSLR you can say goodbye to any savings in the bank account with new lenses and bits coming out all the time.....

just shot an all day music event yesterday and out of roughly 800 photos, kept under 200! always work at the 1/4 ratio if possible to chuckers and keepers, especially on a paid shoot like that (free ale from 2pm to 12am......)

Comment

Depends how much you want to spend and if its going to be used for anything else.

Shooting in low light is a challenge, video will be grainy/noisy on cheaper cameras, might still be good enough to use as a analysis tool.

If it's only for snooker and you don't want to spend a lot then one of the gopro copies will be good enough, they're small and light and easy to setup with different mounts.

If you want to take holiday/family memory snaps as well then a good compact is a good choice as suggested earlier.

For better quality then a micro four thirds camera with separate lens will do pretty much anything most people would want (including 30" x 20" prints).

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys

I think it will be this one, http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-rx100-ii-review

looks like good allround performance (also in low light / inside), small and also nice for photo/video besides snooker

Comment

that one looks to be compact and have all the functions matt, be interested to know how it performs.

Comment

this one looks like one of the best in this price range and size, prices dropping a bit also with newer models coming out.
                I'll bring it when we drop by

Comment

Originally Posted by matthias View Post
                  thanks for all the replies guys

I think it will be this one, http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-rx100-ii-review

looks like good allround performance (also in low light / inside), small and also nice for photo/video besides snooker
                  Great cameras, good 1" sensor, decent video and nice size for carrying around.

Comment

decent enough camera though expesnive compared to panasonics of the same feature set. (remember also who owns panasonic.... )
                    http://www.wexphotographic.com/panas...black-1589058/

Comment

at the moment the lumix TZ100 is almost 100,- more than the sony RX100-II overhere

Comment

Originally Posted by matthias View Post
                        at the moment the lumix TZ100 is almost 100,- more than the sony RX100-II overhere
                        ah right thought you were UK based.

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                          ah right thought you were UK based.
                          thanks for the complement

Comment

Looks nice, good to see it videos in mpeg4 as the files are ok to edit if you want to do that type of thing, of course the quality will be less than AVCHD but those files are huge . I don't know what modern computers can handle nowadays but when I did filming and video editing it was only the very very top of the range desktops that could handle AVCHD files.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                              decent enough camera though expesnive compared to panasonics of the same feature set. (remember also who owns panasonic.... )
                              http://www.wexphotographic.com/panas...black-1589058/
                              I thought it looked expensive as well but assumed, from the OP's use of language, that he was buying secondhand in the UK.

If I was choosing a reasonably priced camera on video alone it would have to be a Panasonic G7, even with a kit lens it can produce broadcast quality video and the stills quality is non too shabby. Bit of a size increase over the compacts with built in lenses though.

Comment

Just seen this thread. I have a canon 500d and had it 5-6 years and it's a great camera. Taken around 7000 photos with it and love photography. My issue having is I want to record my snooker from the birds eye and not sure how to go about that. I play at different venues so obviously I can't just get a set up and leave it there. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about buying a small compact camera/go pro with a small tripod/gorillapod to see if that helped.

Appreciate any suggestions

Comment

Working...
                                X