Bbc pot black television series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bbc pot black television series

It occurred to me recently that the BBC must be sitting on many hours of old Pot Black recordings which, if made available, would make fascinating viewing for snooker fans both in the UK and worldwide. The first ever Pot Black was aired on 23rd July 1969 and throughout the 1970’s played a pivotal role in establishing snooker as a mainstream television sport. Stars such as Ray Reardon, John Spencer, Alex Higgins, Eddie Charlton, John Pulman, Fred Davis, Rex Williams and Graham Miles became household names through their weekly appearances on BBC2. BBC Archive Developments have confirmed they do have a large number of episodes, so the question must be, would there be sufficient demand to cover the costs of making it available? Just imagine, a Pot Black Box Set!!!

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/...A00&tt=00%3A00

They have Alex Higgins vs Jimmy White pot black on BBC IPlayer, I watched it last week. Not sure if there's any more, but might be worth a look

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
      They have Alex Higgins vs Jimmy White pot black on BBC IPlayer, I watched it last week. Not sure if there's any more, but might be worth a look
      I think I've seen that one on YouTube as well. Was it 1983, a blue set?

1970's are of most interest to me. As far as I know, the only one knocking about is the 110 break by Eddie Charlton in 1973.

Comment

The Eddie Charlton 110 is on a You Tube link, shown (to fill time) after a game with Tony Knowles which must have ended early.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sitting Room Snooker View Post
          The Eddie Charlton 110 is on a You Tube link, shown (to fill time) after a game with Tony Knowles which must have ended early.
          Funny thing with that break is Eddie actually took blacks with the first 11 reds (to reach 88) before playing for the pink from the 12th red. Very seldom is it ever mentioned how realistic an opportunity it was for a maximum. Imagine a televised 147 as far back as 1973! That was the year the World Championships was televised for the first time and even then it was only the middle and final Saturday's for Grandstand.

Comment

I would buy that! Loved watching Pot Black in the late 1970s and 1980s. With snooker such a massive sport these days you would think the BBC would put something together. But they have sport way down their list of priorities. As a cricket fan I'm well aware of that.

Comment

I have it on good authority that a lot of the early Pot Black episodes (pre-1976) are missing from the archive. Eddie's century is probably the earliest recording available but only because it was later repeated on a 1986 episode. Whilst I'd like to see the BBC make old episodes of Pot Black available again, it was never the most exciting of tournaments with the gentrified audience creating little atmosphere and the standard of play across a single frame often being well below average. I'd much prefer to have access to other events from the last century but am not holding out much hope as I just don't it would prove commercially viable. The only real hope is if some sort of preservation society takes on the role for posterity sake. It would be good to know what exactly does remain in the BBC, ITV and Sky archives for a start.

Comment

A preservation society is a splendid idea. It could be set up as a registered charity making it “friendlier” to illicit the support of financial backers and other notable patrons. It shouldn’t be terribly difficult to obtain support of some well known players. In addition to Pot Black’s, footage of early Crucible years (1977-80) would be particularly sought after as well. I wonder if other sports have a blueprint for such a preservation body?

Comment

Certain sports that have 'moved' broadcasters, or similarly been taken on by sports channels now show old footage, acquired from the host broadcasters (ref: NFL stuff on SKY, Australian cricket on BT Sport). Eurosport, being the main outlet for snooker may or may not have the funds to buy old BBC/ITV footage. Possibly the most realistic option would be for ITV 4 to show old snooker matches when current tournaments are on. The BBC, if they were serious about proper sport should show old matches on the Red Button in the build up to the Crucible.

Comment

Working...
                  X