No announcement yet.

Can't stop putting left hand side on cue ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Terry Davidson;935069]He is likely doing the same thing I myself do on power shots and a lot of other players do too and that is (as you said) tightening his grip too early in the delivery. I have been trying to overcome this for about 10 years now and I just cannot do it unless I artificially open my grip and leave it open throughout the delivery but this causes a complete loss of accuracy.[QUOTE]

I do not mess with my grip anymore, I just go with what feels natural and comfortable. But, when I did try a very relaxed grip, myself too was losing accuracy and I felt my technique was not compact and solid enough..

@ jonny66, it was a loss accuracy for me in terms of pot rate, buddy..
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

Comment

Cheers, I've given up messing with my grip too, seems the sure fire way to make it wrong is to think about it.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
        When you say a loss of accuracy, do you mean the cueball goes in the wrong direction or just no accuracy on the amount of spin you put on the cueball?
        Both. There's no way anyone could play with a pure fingertip grip of just thumb and forefinger
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Agree with throtts !!

Grip should be firm . Not too loose , imo.
          otherwise you gonna cue all over the place and pull off sum strange stuff out there. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Both. There's no way anyone could play with a pure fingertip grip of just thumb and forefinger
            Dave Harold - ever heard of him?

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
              Dave Harold - ever heard of him?
              I've played him and beat him in a tournament in Newport, Wales in 1987 or so. His grip might be the reason he never did get up those rankings but he only had a very loose grip and not a fingertip grip like I tried. Check out Nic Barrow's youtube stuff and you'll see what I mean. It's a demonstration of how to get the cue to do the work and he holds the cue just with the tips of his thumb and forefinger with no bend at all in the finger. The definition of a very loose grip it is.
              Terry Davidson

Comment

I've played him and beat him in a tournament in Newport, Wales in 1987 or so. His grip might be the reason he never did get up those rankings but he only had a very loose grip and not a fingertip grip like I tried. Check out Nic Barrow's youtube stuff and you'll see what I mean. It's a demonstration of how to get the cue to do the work and he holds the cue just with the tips of his thumb and forefinger with no bend at all in the finger. The definition of a very loose grip it is.
                I have a loose grip similar. I hold the cue with middle two fingers and thumb. That works for me great, as when I try and use the textbook grip I get too much tension and end up gripping it too tightly and the cue deflects off my bridge hand on screws etc....
                Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Well 2 million in prize money and number 11 in the world was not bad. You must have really been some player to beat him in a tournament - I thought his safety/tactical game was the nuts and he scored well over a 100 centuries in pro events. Good scalp...

Comment

Well 2 million in prize money and number 11 in the world was not bad. You must have really been some player to beat him in a tournament - I thought his safety/tactical game was the nuts and he scored well over a 100 centuries in pro events. Good scalp...
                    Yes I watched the video ...don't think it's my grip
                    I have been playing with my head or chin off the cue has its hurts my neck ....I tried many things this weekend ..the best for me was too move my left foot forward and get my chin on the cue ...getting better results

Comment

I hadn't realized he had gotten that high on the rankings. I remember the conditions were pretty bad in that Newport tournament with tight tables which were very slow. I still remember the pink down the side cushion to win the match, 3-2 I believe. The owner of the club rigged the draw and put all his players on one side and all us visitors on the other side so I ended up with a weak opponent in the finals who asked if we could split the prize money. Of course I refused as I always did.
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

I play with an Alex Higgins like grip....two fingers (middle ones) and thumb resting and it works well for me...
                        Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave_marsy View Post
                          Yes I watched the video ...don't think it's my grip
                          I have been playing with my head or chin off the cue has its hurts my neck ....I tried many things this weekend ..the best for me was too move my left foot forward and get my chin on the cue ...getting better results
                          Damn (and some characters)

Comment

Working...
                          X