No announcement yet.

Pulling your game apart.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well that translates in my mind to - it might work unless you listen to too many people who like to talk a lot about snooker and you keep on changing things. If you do you will wind up at the bar embarrassed instead of being at the table playing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
      well that translates in my mind to - it might work unless you listen to too many people who like to talk a lot about snooker and you keep on changing things. If you do you will wind up at the bar embarrassed instead of being at the table playing.
      lolololololol
      #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

You could be right there Byrom..................then again you could be totally wrong
        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
          You could be right there Byrom..................then again you could be totally wrong
          True - tis just a guess -

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Much the same as Gavin, I have tinkered with my technique to try and get it to the more 'ideal' however I am now discovering there has to be a good balance in what you do. If you are able to correct those flaws which cause you to miss pots (like maybe moving on the shot, grip too tight, backswing too fast and crooked, delivery acceleration too abrupt) then these should be removed or corrected.

But the natural elements of a player's technique should be left as they are if that player has adopted them and they have become natural to him. These will be his natural timing and rhythm, sighting and set-up. If the elbow is hanging out or in or if the straight leg foot is not exactly on the line of aim of the cue you should look at that and see if a change brings any improvement but these things should be of little concern as the brain will work everything out naturally and unconsciously IF YOU KEEP THE TECHNIQUE THE SAME ALL THE TIME.

When a player looks into this there are some very bad dangers. These are trying to change or correct more than one thing at a time and also changing the basic technique all the time by making constant adjustments. As Gavin said it is constant adjustments which will be the downfall of many players.
            Hi Terry,
            HELP me please.

This is my elbow position.
            I want it to b like yours what can I do to change my elbow position.
            I'm left eye dominant n my right foot is exactly on line of aim.

Last edited by fbook; 6 July 2015, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by fbook View Post
              Hi Terry,
              HELP me please.

This is my elbow position.
              I want it to b like yours what can I do to change my elbow position.
              I'm left eye dominant n my right foot is exactly on line of aim.

What you have to do is get the 2 shoulders more vertical by dropping the left armpit and raising the right shoulder BUT DO NOT CAUSE ANY DISCOMFORT. It might feel strange for awhile but your shoulders are much too flat.

However, in saying that if you stayed exactly the same and kept using this set-up you will learn to deliver the cue straight but it might take a little longer than if you got the right elbow up as far as possible and got the shoulder more towards the vertical (NOT EXACTLY VERTICAL, just more TOWARDS the vertical).
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

HELP me please.
                fbook you seem to have a lot of upper body tention that i think really could serve you better if you released it through your legs and into the floor
                try dropping your left hip, let the cue lay in your so called grip hand an wrap your fingers around the cue, then simply pull the cue back from your elbow not your hand but your elbow. opening the last two fingers as you do so, then hit the white with the elbow an close the back of the hand on completion
                the dropping of the hip should automatically turn your shoulders into the shot..
                oh and if you turn your finger tips into the cloth youll feel a more stable/positive bridge hand

breath and believe
                Last edited by j6uk; 6 July 2015, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                  fbook you seem to have a lot of upper body tention that i think really could serve you better if you released it through your legs and into the floor
                  try dropping your left hip, let the cue lay in your so called grip hand an wrap your fingers around the cue, then simply pull the cue back from your elbow not your hand but your elbow. opening the last two fingers as you do so, then hit the white with the elbow an close the back of the hand on completion
                  the dropping of the hip should automatically turn your shoulders into the shot..
                  oh and if you turn your finger tips into the cloth youll feel a more stable/positive bridge hand

breath and believe
                  Not a bad point, which I forgot to mention. If you bend your left leg more this will drop the left hip more and make it much easier to get the shoulders more vertical. Take a look at any of the pros and you will see their grip arm shoulder is hidden behind their head or very nearly so in some cases.

You might want to move the left foot a little more forward too, perhaps 4in ahead of the right foot with 18in between the heels or somewhere near that. Remember to stay comfortable.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Right just wondered have any of you ever stopped what you where doing - pulled your game apart and started again from scratch -

What did you correct and why?

Are you more Self aware?

Is your technique better?

Was it easy to do or did old habits die hard?

Are you a better player now?

Everything, yes, yes, Ultra hard, YES!

Comment

Not a bad point, You might want to move the left foot a little more forward too,
                      Thanx Terry & J6

I Played pool a lot with snooker size balls n snooker style pockets, 8x4 table.
                      New to snooker though I played billards a lot.

I'm very much relaxed in this stance with no tension any where n have played 6 - 8 hrs with no major time breaks n can move freely to the sides n front n back.

But the problem is that smday I can cue very effortlessly n smday it's even hard to pot easy balls means lack of consistency n loads of frustration. Previously I had a diff stance leg foot in front n parallel to LOA n right leg on LOA n low elbow. Then I changed it to square stance with leg foot slightly in front like recent pros with high rise elbow though feeling bit strange but I Could immediately see the result in potting success.

Only when my freind clicked a snap of me in address position I figured my elbow position. Even with the previous stance the elbow remained the same. Then after doing sm research I concluded that 2 b good & consistent enough in less time I had to have my elbow position like legendary S.Davis.

Few questions
                      How to bend left hip?
                      How to vertical shoulders?
                      How to drop left armpit?

Plz answer in simple step by step procedure.

By the way

Terry u r awesome.
                      Last edited by fbook; 7 July 2015, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Thanx Terry & J6

I Played pool a lot with snooker size balls n snooker style pockets, 8x4 table.
                        New to snooker though I played billards a lot.

I'm very much relaxed in this stance with no tension any where n have played 6 - 8 hrs with no major time breaks n can move freely to the sides n front n back.

But the problem is that smday I can cue very effortlessly n smday it's even hard to pot easy balls means lack of consistency n loads of frustration. Previously I had a diff stance leg foot in front n parallel to LOA n right leg on LOA n low elbow. Then I changed it to square stance with leg foot slightly in front like recent pros with high rise elbow though feeling bit strange but I Could immediately see the result in potting success.

Only when my freind clicked a snap of me in address position I figured my elbow position. Even with the previous stance the elbow remained the same. Then after doing sm research I concluded that 2 b good & consistent enough in less time I had to have my elbow position like legendary S.Davis.

Few questions
                        How to bend left hip?
                        How to vertical shoulders?
                        How to drop left armpit?

Plz answer in simple step by step procedure.

By the way

Terry u r awesome.
                        You don't really bend the left hip as that is impossible. What you do is bend the left LEG more so the left hip drops more. It also helps if you have the left foot a bit ahead of the right foot. Have both feet pointed outwards from the line of aim maybe 20* so you don't get strain in the knee joint.

The reason you drop the left hip is so the twist needed in the spine in order to get the shoulders more vertical is less severe and you don't get any strain in the upper spine. The only way I know to get the shoulders more vertical is to try and get the left armpit right down to the cushion or at least as low as you can possibly get it, this will be a result of bending the left knee more. This in turn will have the effect of raising the right shoulder up and behind the head. Now raise the right elbow up as high as you can.

Since you study Steve Davis take another look at him from head-on and notice you can't see any of his right shoulder behind his head as it's totally hidden. Most of the pros are that way,
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

One of the best advise i've seen👍🏻

But nonetheless developing the skill is easier for the more talented individuals. 😅

Comment

Originally Posted by CoachGavin View Post
                            Bolton-cueman. natural is just what we do by habit so if you practice a methodical action that will become your natural action. I think you will find that you will incorporate your coach's ideas into your natural game as you get used to them.
                            It must be so difficult for a coach to spot what strengths a snooker player naturally has that are created by 'so called' technical flaws.

If you watch a player for a short while you might see a flaw in the technique (the textbook technique) but that flaw may help them be the player they are in their overall game; clearly there is risk to changing this/these.

I understand the benefits of a coaching and it has certainly helped me in the limited time I have spent with one but; having seen my golf go from a single figure handicap (for many years) to a hacker I am always wary of too much change, especially rapid change.

I went to a golf pro once and said I'd like to get lower (handicap) as I felt I had peaked even though I had many gross par rounds cropping up; he was a very technical coach with lots of videos, swing comparisons, marketed gadgets and coaching aids and plenty of fixes and new ideas.

After many many lessons (over 20) and a year playing and practicing after redundancy, he is the reason I came back to snooker as I cannot hit a b***dy ball now as my head is filled with mechanics and swing paralysis.

There is no way back now as all the natural things I did without thinking are now gone and so has the love.

I think coaching is great and I'm a real advocate but rebuilding from scratch, be careful you don't lose what you had!

Slow and steady so if the change doesn't work you are not too far from where you were.
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

praise and encourage the strengths so much so that it inspires working on the weaknesses

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                                praise and encourage the strengths so much so that it inspires working on the weaknesses
                                Totally agree, just drip feed the weaknesses.
                                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X