Playing with more power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with more power

first off I'd like to say I am new to the game of snooker, I started back in January and my only other experience prior to that was playing pool but that was 5 or 6 years ago.
    when I'm playing soft to medium shots I can keep control of the cue ball but if I add more power I lose the control and hit off centre, are there any exercises I can do to try and add more power whilst retaining full control of the cue ball?
    Highest Break 21

Most likely when you use power you will lengthen your backswing, since that SHOULD be where more power comes from. This likely means your backswing is not perfectly straight and is 'wandering' a bit on a long backswing and your brain will over-correct this during the more dynamic delivery.

Try slowing your backswing down to as slow as you feel comfortable with ensuring you keep it perfectly straight.

Another problem could be you are accelerating the cue too abruptly and if that's the basic reason your cue is going off-line then try and make the acceleration smooth. A common problem here is tightening the grip at the start of a power delivery and that will take the cue off-line every time.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I feel like it might be the abrupt acceleration through the ball because I feel that I am getting unwanted body movement because of it not being smooth and of course all of that puts the shot off line just a bit and it's enough to miss the shot
      Highest Break 21

Comment

Working...
      X