Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small tip + heavy cue = effective combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small tip + heavy cue = effective combo?

Hi all,

I was using a friends snooker cue to play English pool and noticed how little effort I managed to create the accuracy & required action of the cue ball. Perhaps this was just due to the size and weight difference of the balls in English pool, in conjunction with the specs of cue I was using at the time.

I've noticed the snooker pro's on telly rarely stray away from the standard cue specifications to play snooker so i'm guessing it's not a bad idea to follow suit when choosing a cue for the first time.

However, I can't help thinking that a cue with a smaller tip width can make it easier to 'sight' a snooker cue ball with greater accuracy, or similarly 'access' a wider range of shots.

I have also noticed a handful of the worlds best players, namely Ronnie, Judd Trump, Shaun Murphy etc have the ability to create maximum reaction from the cue ball with minimal effort. I have heard it's due to practice on the back of a degree of natural ability. But for someone like myself (who is not the best cueist in the world!) to become more familiar with this invaluable characteristic of cueing, could perhaps be aided by a heavy cue with the mass to produce the action with limited power of stroke.

I will appreciate any contributions to this thread that could help me shed light on this topic.

Kind regards,

Stroodle
    Last edited by stroodle; 24 April 2015, 03:42 PM.

You need to spend a bit more time with a cue to determine whether it is for you or not. A small tip requires a straight cue action as you get lots of unwanted side on it and even more so with a heavier cue. Murphy's cue is 17.25 ounces and a 8.75mm tip. Ronnies tip is 9.5 18.3 ounces, Steven lee another great cueist had a 19oz cue 9.2mm tip. So the pro cues do vary a bit. But a smaller tip does allow more action on the ball I feel and more side and spin. I would say a smaller tip suited a lighter cue with less mass to cause stress on the tip end
    Last edited by jono*; 24 April 2015, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply, jono. Sounds by your thread like a player, given the time can get used to playing with just about anything.

I have ordered a cue with a smaller tip and which is slightly heavier to the one i'm used to playing with and i'm looking forward to experimenting with it. Perhaps this may bring me closer to that so called 'perfect cue'

Regards,

stroodle

Comment

Working...
      X