This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought this jp master cue the other day as is

now just started the preparing an gluing the joint. taking care to make sure all the old glue is removed from the joint, filling all the cracks then taping an clamping with the right amount of pressure

it came out very well and feels as solid as new.. now time for the ultimate finish
    Last edited by j6uk; 23 April 2015, 06:23 AM.

Comment

• j6 cue stories

so proud of this job you had to post it twice

nice job
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• j6 cue stories

lol
        any pics of it together and showing the chevrons and underside?

Comment

• missed an opportunity there j should have respliced it in ebony

Comment

• hear you man, few things though. main one was i didn't know how the cue was gonna play, i don't think the originals were ever hand spliced, i like a machine splice, an its always somthing that could be done later if need be . oh an the the points are too off set from the center of the chevs so i thought it would look odd

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
            missed an opportunity there j should have respliced it in ebony
            Last edited by j6uk; 22 April 2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• okay so this is how the jp master cue was connected, an as you can see with the gluing process that its very slightly rased around the joint
              i had a hit with it toay an found it far to tempermental. it needs some hand planing in its life

now this is what iv done today. i took out all the bumps on the shaft an married the joint to how it was originaly
              i have owned two jp cues in the past a classic an a paragon , an i think at the moment this old master cue is closer the paragon stage

oh and this is the ferrule end

i will give it a workout tomorrow and if i feel it plays really well then ill leave it as is
              Last edited by j6uk; 23 April 2015, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• i worked into this cue some more and one of the details i always look at is how even the butt is. as you can see this was very uneven an took some time to get it where i want it to look and feel

Last edited by j6uk; 27 April 2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• j6:

A suggestion for you regarding repairing cracks like you had with this cue. I have successfully used a glue called 'Chair Doctor' and also a very similar one called 'Hot Stuff'. These are available from Lee Valley Tools here in Canada but unfortunately they say they can't ship internationally.

My suggestion is to check the Lee Valley website as they specify the exact type of adhesive (it's thinner than water and actually both swells and seals cracks in wood) and then check and see where you can get that same adhesive in the UK or Europe. It comes with a syringe and for larger cracks like you had it might require 2 or 3 applications but it worked very well with a 1/16" 8" long crack I had in the butt of my MW playing cue. In order to spot the original crack now I need a magnifying glass and very good lighting and it hasn't moved in over 18 months of continuous use.

Some finishing and polishing would be required but the handy thing is when you first apply it any excess adhesive can be wiped of with a damp cloth.
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• fortunately i was able to fully open these cracks so the gluing process was straight forwards for me, but thanks for the info tel i'll look out for this stuff

Comment

• there are suppliers in the UK for this "Chair Doctor" as I looked into it last year

Comment

• Looking for a ' Chair Doctor ' for the Mrs ........but it needs to be Electric

Nice work Jas . Can't believe the state people get their cues into !
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• cue finished
                          16.5bp
                          19oz
                          stiff responcive

i believe this cue had never seen a hand plane and the shaft from the joint had been turned from both ends then sanded as there was a slight dip in the middle of the shaft. this has all been taken out an the cue has gone from 19.4 to 19oz with all of its original lumps an bumps taken out.. so we could say this is now a special edition master cue

Last edited by j6uk; 28 April 2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Is it the same cue !!!!

Very nice work Jas .
                            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• should work for Parris

Comment

• Thats gorgeous lovely colour to the shaft

Comment

Working...
                                X