X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by KARLOS147 View Post
    hi chaps

just joined.

I have just bought an ADR147 M not put it on yet though, so no comment lol. any thoughts ?
    Welcome to the forum, thoughts on the medium are they're the best tips I've ever used!

Comment

Hi adr147, when will the SS tips be avaliable for sale as i would really like to try one and id imagine im too late for the trial?

Thanks V much
      Tom

Comment

Originally Posted by andi mack View Post
        Welcome to the forum.

Make sure you have a sharp / new scalpel blade if you intend to trim it, makes life much easier.

I found the medium a little hard for my tastes, but then again i like soft tips.
        I have always just used a sharp stanley blade, what scalpel blade do you recommend, I've seen the Swann Morton ones on the internet but its difficult to tell what would be best without seeing them in real life.

Comment

Originally Posted by rdsalt View Post
          I have always just used a sharp stanley blade, what scalpel blade do you recommend, I've seen the Swann Morton ones on the internet but its difficult to tell what would be best without seeing them in real life.
          Stanley blades are fine to use mate, just make sure it's clean and sharp.

I use a swann morton scalpel as i have a few handles & blades knocking round from another hobby, the blades i use for tipping are 25A's.

Hope that helps.
          Andi Mack

Comment

Originally Posted by andi mack View Post
            Welcome to the forum.

Make sure you have a sharp / new scalpel blade if you intend to trim it, makes life much easier.

I found the medium a little hard for my tastes, but then again i like soft tips.
            New sharp Stanley blade is all you need

Comment

i use a 10a if that helps you!
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

You can pick them up cheap as chips on eBay, around 10p a blade if you buy in bulk, once you use a scalpel you'll never go back to a Stanley. I've tried experimenting with most blades and the 10a is the best for trimming (the 10 is best for edging wall paper!) I then use a number 9 for the final tidy up and starting the doming.
                No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, so this is what I should order?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morton-scalp...ds=10a+scalpel

Comment

Yep , they are decent .

I bought a packet of the plastic handle disposable ones , do the job .
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Recieved tip yesterday.will post a review in a few weeks when fitted. thanks

Comment

Despite the problems initially regarding the tip playing very hard. I gave it a much more elaborate dome. This helped to lessen the effect some what. It appears to have gone softer over time and is now much more playable.
                        I still imagine that another SS will be completely different/softer than this was. Will keep this one on for a while longer as the breaks are coming thick and fast.
                        Yesterday I had 53,61,71,85,88 & one other 80+(opponent lost count) lol.
                        Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                        https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

First of all, a big apologies to Andrew. Should have written this review earlier but was forced to leave the table for a couple of months due to exams, projects, presentations, etc.... Now I'm back on the table, it's time to return the favour to Andrew.

Tip Fitting:
                          Tip was fitted by a friend of mine. His comments were the tip is very soft, easy to cut and shape. Everything was done in a quick manner.

1st 8 frames:
                          The tip held chalk very well. After the 1st few shots, it gave me the feeling of a good elk but on the very soft side. Could feel more compression on the tip (was using ADR147 M tip prior to this). Objective of this was to bed in and get used to the tip. Had much more reaction on the CB than expected. Grip was also noted to be excellent. Reshaped the the tip after the session ended.

5 hours solo practice:
                          Tip held its shape after 5 hours of play. This time round, was doing some experiment to see the difference between the M tip used earlier and the SS tip. Using the same strength as I've used for the M tip, the CB had significantly more spin. Thus, losing quite a fair bit of positional play. Still holding chalk well and no change in the grip.

Overall:
                          As always, a very good tip. Has all the qualities as mentioned by other members in the forum. Personally, the tip was a little too soft to my liking. Would recommend it for pool. For snooker, the lowest I would go would be an S tip. =)

Good job Andrew!

Comment

still like the medium myself but it would be a boring world if everybody liked the same things eh.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Why use a scalpel? i have been using pen knife and had no problems. is it better and wont hurt the ferrule ?

Comment

A scalpel is far sharper than a pen knife and cuts the tip easier . Plus there is a bit of flexibility in the blade which i find helps as well .
                                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Working...
                                X