can you reduce tip size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you reduce tip size?

Hey. My cue recently had some wear and tear damage so I thought I'd buy a new cue (been wanting to for a while).

cut a story short, the cue I opted for was premade and 10mm. I simply thought I could go to the local cue crafter and get it shaven down to 8mm for 8 ball pool.

However I have been engrossed in reading some topics on this forum being a new member, some people have expressed difficulties with shaven the tip down.

The cue has already gone to the guy who's started. Have I made a mistake? Will the diameter be in proportion all the way down? Will the weight be greatly reduced?
    I get it back tomorrow but I'm anxious.

Originally Posted by nuts00 View Post
    Hey. My cue recently had some wear and tear damage so I thought I'd buy a new cue (been wanting to for a while).

cut a story short, the cue I opted for was premade and 10mm. I simply thought I could go to the local cue crafter and get it shaven down to 8mm for 8 ball pool.

However I have been engrossed in reading some topics on this forum being a new member, some people have expressed difficulties with shaven the tip down.

The cue has already gone to the guy who's started. Have I made a mistake? Will the diameter be in proportion all the way down? Will the weight be greatly reduced?
    I get it back tomorrow but I'm anxious.
    I'd think the taper will be changed a bit, as I don't imagine the person doing the whittling, will reduce the butt dia by 2mm.

As for the rest, there's no use worrying about it now, as it'll be back tomorrow.

Could feel great, could feel dead as a dead thing.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

The taper will be different, depending how far its been retapered and by how much down the shaft it could be more whippy too, really shouldn't be any problems though so try not to worry

Comment

should only bea slightly different taper on the first 6 inches or so

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance. I was worried it wasn't a great thing to do after reading comments stating to "don't ruin a cue, buy a new one".

This cue is considerably different to what I'm used to, but I've opted for this change. Just 16.3 oz before it shaved off. If it go pears up and its too light, is adding weight a simple enough job for a competent craftsman? It's an Andy Travis cue.

Comment

Yes as andy said its normally only the first 6-12 inches unless it is very thick thru the hand then maybe 18 inches slightly taperd.

Not a big job adding weight but make sure you try it for a few days/weeks before getting re-weighted.

Gaz.

Comment

depends who the crafter is and wther he knows what he's doing or not !! as Bill mentioned already, the taper will certainly change !! Add sum weight to the cue will affect the balance point and how the cue feels during cueing !!! Not saying The cue gonna be a bad player, btw !! but personally I would never do this , or recommend someone else !! especially with regard to: add extra weight.
              Good advice from Gazz , to try the cue before u Re-weight it !!!
              Last edited by Ramon; 28 April 2015, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I also never try and re-weight a cue unless its butt heavy which i dont like, a good cue maker can normally re-weight it but will depend if 1pc or 3/4 and who the cue maker was who made it.

Gaz.

Comment

Feel a bit silly and naive now. Not sure what all the worry was about.

Admittedly, I have an untrained eye for craftsmanship of the cue, only owned two during the past decade of playing (Trevor and Dragon cue). But this cue has been altered and I really can't see any indication that it wasnt originally crafted this way. I feared drastic changes in weight and shape, but nothing.

Had a quick knock and I can't believe how sweet it hits the white, and the reaction you can get, makes me scratch my head.

Comment

Witchcraft ??

Comment

Working...
                    X