Should Snooker be an Olympic sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Snooker be an Olympic sport

Shaun Murphy, Steve Davis and Ken Doherty discussed this afternoon (27 April) Should snooker be involved in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, what are your thoughts on this, I think it would be good to snooker in the Olympics in 2020, I just wonder who or how they would choose to represent each country and what players will be at the top of the game in the year 2020, and will Jason Ferguson and Barry Hearn still running the game.
    Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

If along the lines of the World Cup, then the top 2, 3, or 4 ranking players form that country, would represent at the Games, or maybe a qualifying event?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      If along the lines of the World Cup, then the top 2, 3, or 4 ranking players form that country, would represent at the Games, or maybe a qualifying event?
      I was thinking that that as well Dean say the top 8 English players, are randomly drawn against each other and the two winners go through to Tokyo, and same with other countries like Scotland and China and so on. It may be hard to find 8 top players from countries like Australia, Finland and Honk Kong for example though.
      Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

Not sure. Snooker has a well established world championships, and Olympic gold could be secondary to a world championship. Look at tennis, the grand slams are more valued than the Olympics, and that cheapens the Olympics a bit.

Although as a snooker fan obviously I would be for increasing its audience.
        Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

Originally Posted by nevets View Post
          Not sure. Snooker has a well established world championships, and Olympic gold could be secondary to a world championship. Look at tennis, the grand slams are more valued than the Olympics, and that cheapens the Olympics a bit.

Although as a snooker fan obviously I would be for increasing its audience.
          And then we have ice-hockey which biggest prize is the Olympics so it's difficult to judge something that doesn't exist yet. The big question is of course the amount of prize money that can be funded. It's always about the money...
          #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Originally Posted by Viktortheman View Post
            And then we have ice-hockey which biggest prize is the Olympics so it's difficult to judge something that doesn't exist yet. The big question is of course the amount of prize money that can be funded. It's always about the money...
            You not allowed prize money at the Olympics. Not officially anyway.
            Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

Originally Posted by nevets View Post
              You not allowed prize money at the Olympics. Not officially anyway.
              My bad then, didn't know that. But I guess different domestic sports federations are giving their medal-winning athletes some kind money in the end?
              #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

The short answer is "no", in my opinion snooker shouldn't be an Olympic sport. I won't bother with the long answer, but you can find it on many of the threads we have had on this subject in the past. :smile:

Originally Posted by Mr Snooker View Post
                I was thinking that that as well Dean say the top 8 English players, are randomly drawn against each other and the two winners go through to Tokyo, and same with other countries like Scotland and China and so on. It may be hard to find 8 top players from countries like Australia, Finland and Honk Kong for example though.
                The UK competes in the Olympics as a single country, so only three players would be included. Which of course means the vast majority of the world's best players wouldn't be there. :wink:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                  The short answer is "no", in my opinion snooker shouldn't be an Olympic sport. I won't bother with the long answer, but you can find it on many of the threads we have had on this subject in the past. :smile:

The UK competes in the Olympics as a single country, so only three players would be included. Which of course means the vast majority of the world's best players wouldn't be there. :wink:
                  Sorry but I wouldn't care if players from other country's missed out.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                    This raises a very interesting point. Who exactly would select the snooker representatives for an Olympic event? Watching the discussion on TV it was clear that the professional players thought it would be the WPBSA, but unless things have changed within the Confederation of Billiard Sports (the IOC affiliated body) it is the IBSF who represent snooker. If selection is delegated by them to the National Governing Bodies, the WPBSA members would be automatically excluded. I will be VERY interested to see the details of any proposal which says how this would work.

Comment

yes. why shouldnt it be? you have shoot a target while lay down, snooker is infintely more skilful as a sport and interesting to watch.

Comment

Absolutely it would help the game to grow worldwide and increase the chances of talented youngsters male and female participating and help them in obtaining funding to compete in it from Governments and sponsors from around the world. It is also a great sport for the Para - Olympics and is popular among disabled people wishing to participate in sports. They too should have the opportunity to compete in the Olympics.

It would help the image of the sport - it would bring in new sponsorship monies - it would help develop the game widening participation amongst young and old male and female able bodied and disabled people from lots of different cultural backgrounds and I am sorry but anyone who cant see that is an idiot.

There are less deserving sports competed at by many less people which are already events in the Olympics - the ISBF have been successfully promoting the sport around the globe and they deserve credit for these efforts - I think it would be a success as there are lots of great players from many countries now. Perhaps some surprising ones that are waiting to be uncovered who don't yet compete professionally - who knows?
                        Last edited by Byrom; 27 April 2015, 07:22 PM.

Comment

OK, who selected the players for the recently held World Games. I know there were pros there as Alex Borg from Malta competed and Liang Wenbo won it. I guess because of date conflict none of the top ranked pros were there. Canada was not invited but the USA was which peed me off a bit.

I know Nigel Bond won the previous World Games.

I agree with Byrom here. The publicity and the government funding to coaching programs especially would really help in countries like Canada and Australia where there isn't much media attention.
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

if not in the next olympics then it should 100% be included in the next commonwealth games.

Comment

i think those like Ronnie Stephen Hendry and Peter Ebdon are missing the point. saying that the world championship is the pinnacle of the sport and no one would bother going to the Olympics is nonsense.

as it stands now maybe it wouldn't be the most prestigious but whos to say in 20-30 years time. obviously the publicity it would create would be great for the sport. more money would be pumped into the game and maybe would encourage youngsters to play the game just so the can play in the Olympics.

look at Tennis, their biggest tournaments are the grand slams, however they still play in the Olympics, just ask Andy Murray what he thinks about his gold medal is it less valuable than his Wimbledon or US Open titles, i think he would put them on a par.

playing an individual sport usually one plays for themselves but in the Olympics you are representing your country and have the backing of everyone in the nation those who love the sport and those who know nothing about it because you are not playing for yourself you play for them too.

Comment

Working...
                              X