International Championship Quals 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    I Can't be too hard on the guy, if I had recovered from from Hodgkin's lymphoma in my teens I probably would find it difficult to take snooker too seriously as well. That said I love watching him play and want to see him do well.

Fouldsy summed it up today when Jack tried to hammer into the pack of reds at light speed for no particular good reason, he said "jack seems to be happiest when he attacks the game with reckless abandon"

Not that hard to understand from a lad who has stared the big "C" in the face, he's a fighter and it will be good for snooker if his talent prevails.
    I totally agree. He is one of the few that I look forward to watching.

He has improved loads in the last few years from being just a potter, but still has a way to go.

One vaguely interesting point is that it is always (seemingly) his fault when he loses. How many\few other players get that direct criticism?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rane View Post
      A great win for Allen. From what I saw the standard was high. 7 centuries in 15 frames.
      Could've... should've been 9. He was pretty much unplayable.

Hold on. I think we're in the wrong thread. I know I am.

I don't even know why I said this. How can he possibly have had 9 centuries in a best of 11 ?

I'll get me coat.
      Last edited by Billy; 9 November 2018, 12:06 AM.
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• One vaguely interesting point is that it is always (seemingly) his fault when he loses. How many\few other players get that direct criticism?
        That's a really good point. But I wouldn't take the pundits criticism in a negative way, what they are effectively saying is how much they admire his talent because they can't see how he should be losing with it.

To hint that losing is his fault is to suggest he is wasting his talent which means they acknowledge he has a great talent to begin with and that is a compliment. Probably mild frustration too that he is not only denying himself but also denying the world of snooker fans of what he is capable of.

So in answer = not many, because not many have as much talent.
        Last edited by Cue crafty; 9 November 2018, 09:15 AM.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• The first and third are pretty much my point.

I thought of it more as my reaction than the pundits - but the admiration etc is the point. I am quite into the difference between A beat B and B lost to A.

I think your 2nd paragraph is a tad harsh re him denying the world of snooker as it is pretty much his matchplay\head which lets him down. Imho, the latter has improved vastly in the last 2 years, with his fightback against Robertson an excellent sign. I can't help but wonder what a few sessions with Steve Davis would do to his shot selection at times.

re the big C thing: I sense that the "glad to be alive" thing is fading as he is now trying to win, as opposed to be carefree and happy to be there with a reasonable amount of cash coming in, and enjoying times with old buddy Judd, with the contrast between their last 2 matches being very telling

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
            The first and third are pretty much my point.

I thought of it more as my reaction than the pundits - but the admiration etc is the point. I am quite into the difference between A beat B and B lost to A.

I think your 2nd paragraph is a tad harsh re him denying the world of snooker as it is pretty much his matchplay\head which lets him down. Imho, the latter has improved vastly in the last 2 years, with his fightback against Robertson an excellent sign. I can't help but wonder what a few sessions with Steve Davis would do to his shot selection at times.

re the big C thing: I sense that the "glad to be alive" thing is fading as he is now trying to win, as opposed to be carefree and happy to be there with a reasonable amount of cash coming in, and enjoying times with old buddy Judd, with the contrast between their last 2 matches being very telling
            We are in violent agreement then blah, as my 2nd Para refers to pundits possible frustration (they do seem to blame him for his losses quite heavily. )

I don't feel frustrated watching him at all, I've enjoyed seeing him progress slowly and appreciate what he brings in terms of entertaining play. It's nice to root for someone talented and see them move up. It's not fun if someone just arrives as the full package immediately.

Also agree that some help from a wiley old pro like Davis would go a long way towards helping him progress. Ah la Ronnie and Ray R.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
            X