Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Tom...you are inviting the wrath of Travis and Mr. Big Shot and I will help that along by agreeing completely with you. Travis trashed me because he believes plain centre-ball snooker is 'boring'.
    Just practise? Wow, never heard that before - thanks Terry!

We could, of course, ask keiron wilson whether he feels the shot he played against Stuart Bingham in last year's snooker world championships was worth learning. As he went on to win frame and ultimately match, I'm guessing he'd say foregoing 10 mins of practising long blues to learn it was time well spent.

To paraphrase diamond Joe quimby, I'm not sure if you guys are getting dumber or just more ugly.

Comment

• Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
      Terry... don't get me wrong I've found the videos particularly your own very interesting as is the theory behind it.
      However I've made century breaks and I miss shots plain ball. It pains me to see lesser players talking about applying side as if they believe it could help them.
      We strike up and down the middle of the cue ball because we want to make the game easier. It's difficult enough without over complicating it.

When I play pool I use alot more side because simply put it's a doddle to pot balls on a pool table so I can apply side without worrying about potentially missing the pot.

If Travis or Mr BS have a retort then fair enough. I'm just saying this thread is the opposite of helpful for snooker players, which is who this forum is aimed at.

This forum is aimed at all players - even those considerably better than you.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
        Just practise? Wow, never heard that before - thanks Terry!

We could, of course, ask keiron wilson whether he feels the shot he played against Stuart Bingham in last year's snooker world championships was worth learning. As he went on to win frame and ultimately match, I'm guessing he'd say foregoing 10 mins of practising long blues to learn it was time well spent.

To paraphrase diamond Joe quimby, I'm not sure if you guys are getting dumber or just more ugly.
        That's what happens when you're coached by someone who knows about this stuff

Comment

The bolded statement is so true. I love snooker and don't find centre-ball striking and making breaks to be boring at all like Travis does. The other point is I have never heard a play say 'damn it, I missed that pot because of unintentional object ball throw'. It is inconsequential and even if it did exist the opportunity to use it would come up very rarely. Changing the attack angle of the cueball is a fact and it can be used but again in very rare situations.
          Lol. Extraordinary.

I've heard hundreds of players say 'damn it, i missed that ball because i put unintentional side on the ball'.

Guess what side does to a ball, tel. Have a bash mate.

When you know what side does to the OB, you can use it to your advantage. If you don't know what it does to the OB, you'll forever go 'oh damn, i got a bad contact there', when you should be saying 'oh damn, i put unintentional side spin on the cue ball which caused the OB to veer off line slightly due to the frictional force of a spinning object hitting a stationary object - I'll be much more careful next time'.

Ignorance is bliss, huh?

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            i hear you tom, though the metaphor was intended to underline that you never forget how to balance on the board.

Don't confuse Tom with metaphors mate.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
              What a load of nonsense.
              Unless you have perfect CB control all the time (which not even the best players in the world have) this is a very handy shot to know and not that hard to learn.
              These guys never run out of position. Never. Nor do they come to the table partially snookered. Nope, never happens.

Absolutely no practical value knowing this shot. I can't think of any scenario where this would come in handy - can you?

Comment

Lol. Extraordinary.

I've heard hundreds of players say 'damn it, i missed that ball because i put unintentional side on the ball'.

When you know what side does to the OB, you can use it to your advantage. If you don't know what it does to the OB, you'll forever go 'oh damn, i got a bad contact there', when you should be saying 'oh damn, i put unintentional side spin on the cue ball which caused the OB to veer off line slightly due to the frictional force of a spinning object hitting a stationary object - I'll be much more careful next time'.

Ignorance is bliss, huh?
                What BS just described is almost the exact definition of Newtons 1st law of Inertia. Physics is universal, does not exclude billiards.

Comment

I doubt very much you've been turning down pots that could be made whether with side or without. I tried to copy what I saw in your video but there's always the proviso that my eyes may see different from someone else's eyes. I have had eye surgery a few times so maybe Biggy is right and I AM blind.
                  There were several shots in the third video that were SIT.

Comment

Lol. Extraordinary.

Ignorance is bliss, huh?
                    Even now I don't think he gets it.

Tel playing check side on the holding shot on the black which then threw to the right of the pocket and then still denied he got SIT lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                      Even now I don't think he gets it.

Tel playing check side on the holding shot on the black which then threw to the right of the pocket and then still denied he got SIT lol
                      It's denial. Powerful stuff.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        Hey Terry, first match of the season in our local league tonight and the shot came up for me, a slow swerve around an intervening ball, about 1/4 of an inch to pot the last red partially obscured by the black.
                        Didn't think twice, just got down and aimed full ball at the red, cue parallel to the line of aim with extreme right hand side, the cue ball deflected the 1/4 inch to the left to miss the black and curved back in to BOB on the red and up for the blue off the side cushion, then blue, yellow, green, brown, and blue to leave the bloke needing three snookers on the pink.
                        Job done with no acronyms after he had walked away from the table smiling because he'd thought he'd gotten away with it, 'he can't see it' he said to his mates, but there was a gap to curve onto BOB and that's all you need.

Video or it didn't happen.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
                          Sounds like a great shot, slow swerve to make pot and get on the blue. Was the blue still on its spot? Serious amount of side at low pace to get position. Congrats on your first win as well vmax.
                          Not to mention highest ever break.

Comment

• Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                            What BS just described is almost the exact definition of Newtons 1st law of Inertia. Physics is universal, does not exclude billiards.
                            They'll NEVER discuss physics mate.

Comment

Not to mention highest ever break.
                              I thought I heard him say he had a 30 break once, might be wrong though!

Comment

They'll NEVER discuss physics mate.
                                The real trouble is, every time you say that in your post, you also mention Dr. Dave's name.
                                Just do'nt say Dr Dave for christ sake!!!
                                Terry an Vmax do'nt like that!!

say Dr. Harold.. or. ... Dr. spock ... or Dr. Grandma or. ...
                                Anything, except Dr. Dave.

This way, We may be able to find a way out of this mess, eh!!!

just saying !!

Comment

Working...
                                X