Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night 2

Experiment in CTC

Ok I took the previous nights experiment on a big pocket table to a match table - results are in

This does not work for any mid distance or long shots to well at all - Do I have it wrong well I don't know - placebo effect I think as someone said but I tried the best I could tonight and my best was a 44 which is terrible.
    I am going to give it a bit more of a go this week on my own but I think this system belongs at short distance on a big pocket pool table but even then I am not sure as I could play pool better with use of side and stuff and this takes away that natural game so I doubt I would use it at pool for that reason.

It does work close in pretty well but then again so does my normal game I have - I think probably I can just pot balls any old way so maybe I am not the best one to try out things like this - It was fun trying it out the other day as it is something different and it did become quite easy after a while but I was not really thinking about it and the table I was on was very generous. Anyway I will persevere and keep giving it a go on my own this week on the table see if I have it right. Not discounting it completely without a bit more practice just to be fair to the system.
    Last edited by Byrom; 20 November 2015, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Byrom your results are exactly what i got when i tried this . short distance shots work because the margins are greater, at mid to long range the margins are so fine its very difficult to move the body onto the exact line.

but as you said it can work in some situations and i only use this when potting down the rails. i found i had an increased success in the area alone.

other than that i am sticking to regular sighting

Comment

Hi, I am the geezer with terrible cueing. You're right, if a 47 year old can make shots with terrible form what can a good player do with it. Rising tides lifting all boats type of thing.

My videos are not intended to really teach so much as to introduce. Stan's are highly professional and his cueing is very straight.

I want to be clear that while Stan sells a dvd it is not really a profitable endeavor. It came about because of the constant criticism by people unwilling to give it a go. Do he did the best he could over two dvds to explain how to learn and apply it.

He has about a hundred support videos out there on it as well for those who take to CTE to build on.

As for how well it works on a snooker table....I had some success in China on both snooker tables and chinese 8 ball tables. Over here I have access to a 6x12 Riley which I will go do some tests on. I will say that there are visualization tricks for balls at distance that likely apply when using CTE on mid table shots in snooker.

Anyway I am more of an advocate than an expert as I don't really play much anymore. But I have just signed a lease on a building that will become a sort of training center. So I think more clarity will come out when I have more people around to analyze with me.

Stan isn't selling you a line. This method works well for pool for sure. Ask Phil Burford about it.

And thanks for being so cool. Mr big shot has trolled our forums for years and said any mention of CTE for use in snooker would result in universal derision. Glad to see he wasn't a good example of the members here.

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
          I would mention one thing , when the guy had a pot to the right he lines up centre of cue ball to left edge of OB. That's half ball in snooker, (in his example it's more like 3/4 ball). Then he lines up right edge of the cueball to the right edge of the OB. Puts his foot or big toe on that line and the pivots to the center of the cue ball , that's to his left.

This is where I find everything goes wrong because for a right handed player the right foot on the line you put your left either parallel or slightly forward and twist to the right (not left) , sitting on your left hip. This system is opposite and creates an unbalanced stance .
          That was a very old attempt to understand CTE. It was wrong although it did produce shot lines that were correct a lot of the time.

Comment

aiming systems = a load of old bullocks.

That is all.
            #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
              I have played 9ball pool for years prior to snooker and honestly have never heard of the term "aiming system" from any good player.It seems to appear only in some books, internet forums and instructional material. That stuff may be easy to sell to those who are looking for shortcuts. Most players want to get very good quickly with very little effort. Nothing new here.
              These systems are too complex. Thought process behind them is far too complicated.
              To get good, you need to spend good part of your life on the table and be constantly surrounded by good players. It is as simple as that.
              CTE is definitely not for anyone looking for a shortcut.

Comment

I was in the club the other day after i read this post. I watched a load of the CTE videos and got the basics of it. I was willing to give it a go and post my results here.
                I had not played snooker for like 1 year and i walks into the club and Stephen Maguire was on the next table next to me so i abandon ship as i never wanted to look worse than i was after a year away. I definitely think that their is something too it. It can help you with doubles,trebles and not just potting. Granted, being a bigger table then you're not doing yourself any favors applying it then. Close quarters and doubles etc i think this could help people. I'm going up on Monday afternoon for an all day shot so i will get tore right in about it then and give my verdict.

Comment

Originally Posted by jbcases View Post
                  Hi, I am the geezer with terrible cueing. You're right, if a 47 year old can make shots with terrible form what can a good player do with it. Rising tides lifting all boats type of thing.

My videos are not intended to really teach so much as to introduce. Stan's are highly professional and his cueing is very straight.

I want to be clear that while Stan sells a dvd it is not really a profitable endeavor. It came about because of the constant criticism by people unwilling to give it a go. Do he did the best he could over two dvds to explain how to learn and apply it.

He has about a hundred support videos out there on it as well for those who take to CTE to build on.

As for how well it works on a snooker table....I had some success in China on both snooker tables and chinese 8 ball tables. Over here I have access to a 6x12 Riley which I will go do some tests on. I will say that there are visualization tricks for balls at distance that likely apply when using CTE on mid table shots in snooker.

Anyway I am more of an advocate than an expert as I don't really play much anymore. But I have just signed a lease on a building that will become a sort of training center. So I think more clarity will come out when I have more people around to analyze with me.

Stan isn't selling you a line. This method works well for pool for sure. Ask Phil Burford about it.

And thanks for being so cool. Mr big shot has trolled our forums for years and said any mention of CTE for use in snooker would result in universal derision. Glad to see he wasn't a good example of the members here.

Hi mate - well your having fun and enjoying it obviously - We like to give things a good ol go on TSF. I think the main problem with this system at snooker is that we have to be a little more precise - smaller pockets - and obviously there are longer distances - yet it certainly helps on certain shots doubles or bank shots as you call them in particular as someone has already mentioned and I had a lot of fun trying it out and will continue to have a little more fun with it for a while yet on this thread to make sure I have it correct.

I have seen Stan's video's and he posts a lot of stuff for free - I was going to invite him on this thread to talk more about it but cant get the az forum to work for me - never mind.

Good luck with your venture in pool - if something works for you it works - keep enjoying you pool and thank you for coming on our little forum - I wish you well

note - forums are full of allsorts of opinions and allsorts of people - la forum where everyone agrees is a dull forum for sure. I actually like the moody ones or the ones that express a different opinion with a passion - no messing - they are the real stars of any forum.

Comment

Originally Posted by Vitikka View Post
                    I think that way because i used to play just like that and it was because i didn't see the center of the ball correctly and my tip was a bit off to right.
                    Like Ramon said "I've seen a few video's of him slow motion. the way i see it , he does it to correct the line of delivery."
                    I see no reason why it's not the same thing for Trump.
                    Thanks for replay !!

Comment

Hello. Giving it a go is all anyone can ask for before criticising. I agree wholeheartedly about the higher level of precision in snooker. Chinese 8 ball also requires a similar level of precision due to the snooker cut pockets and pocket sizes on a 9ft table.

I lived in China for seven years so I had opportunities to try CTE on both tables. Obviously given my poor form it would be difficult to say why I missed a shot, bad aim or bad stroke or both :-)

But I can report that after I got the speed of the shots down and the strategy, i.e. what shots are near impossible and should be avoided for example, I had a decent amount of runouts on the Chinese 8 ball table. Your Gareth Potts won that tournament 2 years running and Darren Appleton won it last year. On the snooker table I was hopelessly lost due to my unfamiliarity except to have the feeling that it could work based on my limited time trying. At one point in my life when living in Germany I was able to make 50 breaks fairly regularly. But at that time I was playing every day and in action almost every night. My form wasn't always so bad as it is now. (I will be working on it when I get the tables set up for training)

Regarding the tone of a forum, I like a lively debate until it gets into personal attacks and insults. I don't mean the normal ribbing one should expect but the deep cuts people try to inflict to deflect from the topic. Those I can do without.

The issue on the American side is that CTE works and works very well for pool but some people are dead set against it and they resort to personal attacks when their points have been rebutted with on table examples.

The way I have looked at it is that when a man shows me high level performance, such as banking 10 balls in various pockets without marking the table AND without being able to see the far cushion I pay attention and want to know how he is doing it. If not a parlor trick and instead a method that can be learned I certainly add it to the list of things to try if I want that level of performance. This isn't to say that there aren't other ways to get to that level but just that I have always tried to emulate and learn from those who display prowess. Not that blindly copying someone is what I mean. No I mean trying to understand the underlying method and discern why it helps so as to incorporate that in my game.

That's what CTE is to me. A method that other players demonstrated using while running a lot of balls and making incredible shots consistently. So if I assume that those doing the demos are not lying they must then be having great success with the method and that's my motivator to learn it. If I try it and find it doesn't click with me then I can always go back to whatever I was doing previously. It's not like I have a budding professional career to screw up :-)

Again thanks for the warm welcome. Nice to see the discussion not immediately take a crappy turn.

Comment

Originally Posted by jbcases View Post
                        Hello. Giving it a go is all anyone can ask for before criticising. I agree wholeheartedly about the higher level of precision in snooker. Chinese 8 ball also requires a similar level of precision due to the snooker cut pockets and pocket sizes on a 9ft table.

I lived in China for seven years so I had opportunities to try CTE on both tables. Obviously given my poor form it would be difficult to say why I missed a shot, bad aim or bad stroke or both :-)

But I can report that after I got the speed of the shots down and the strategy, i.e. what shots are near impossible and should be avoided for example, I had a decent amount of runouts on the Chinese 8 ball table. Your Gareth Potts won that tournament 2 years running and Darren Appleton won it last year. On the snooker table I was hopelessly lost due to my unfamiliarity except to have the feeling that it could work based on my limited time trying. At one point in my life when living in Germany I was able to make 50 breaks fairly regularly. But at that time I was playing every day and in action almost every night. My form wasn't always so bad as it is now. (I will be working on it when I get the tables set up for training)

Regarding the tone of a forum, I like a lively debate until it gets into personal attacks and insults. I don't mean the normal ribbing one should expect but the deep cuts people try to inflict to deflect from the topic. Those I can do without.

The issue on the American side is that CTE works and works very well for pool but some people are dead set against it and they resort to personal attacks when their points have been rebutted with on table examples.

The way I have looked at it is that when a man shows me high level performance, such as banking 10 balls in various pockets without marking the table AND without being able to see the far cushion I pay attention and want to know how he is doing it. If not a parlor trick and instead a method that can be learned I certainly add it to the list of things to try if I want that level of performance. This isn't to say that there aren't other ways to get to that level but just that I have always tried to emulate and learn from those who display prowess. Not that blindly copying someone is what I mean. No I mean trying to understand the underlying method and discern why it helps so as to incorporate that in my game.

That's what CTE is to me. A method that other players demonstrated using while running a lot of balls and making incredible shots consistently. So if I assume that those doing the demos are not lying they must then be having great success with the method and that's my motivator to learn it. If I try it and find it doesn't click with me then I can always go back to whatever I was doing previously. It's not like I have a budding professional career to screw up :-)

Again thanks for the warm welcome. Nice to see the discussion not immediately take a crappy turn.
                        Lol. Butter wouldn't melt.

For the uninitiated, barton is nice as pie if a) everyone is buying his products, and b) he's endlessly spamming stan shuffett, with no scrutiny.

Watch out if not!

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                          Lol. Butter wouldn't melt.

For the uninitiated, barton is nice as pie if a) everyone is buying his products, and b) he's endlessly spamming stan shuffett, with no scrutiny.

Watch out if not!
                          You two obviously have history - however a) he has not tried to sell anything yet though we have a section for that and he is welcome to like you and everyone else is and b) I don't know what you are on about but am sure this Stan bloke can speak for himself.

You want to try adding to the debate constructively you are more than welcome - start when ready.

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                            god almighty on the star tables I play on he would be lucky to make one pot
                            https://youtu.be/m4SEJz7PujM
                            Absolutely.

Im back on my Star now and its shown my rust. Any throw on the No10 and its a no no, coupled with the tight pockets.
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                              haha, well to be honest , i did'nt want to get in to that Vmax ,,
                              I do'nt think sumone like J Trump does Offline cueing if he does'nt want to.
                              Maybe Vitikka has other motivation for this ?? or we miss sumthing here lol ??
                              Nope, haven't missed anything.

Originally Posted by Vitikka View Post
                              I think that way because i used to play just like that and it was because i didn't see the center of the ball correctly and my tip was a bit off to right.
                              Like Ramon said "I've seen a few video's of him slow motion. the way i see it , he does it to correct the line of delivery."
                              I see no reason why it's not the same thing for Trump.
                              There is no logic whatsoever in moving the body to the right like Trump does to pivot the cue back to the left because the address is to the right of the intended strike.
                              Logic dictates that Trump has body movement that he can't stop and therefore offsets his cueing to compensate for that. You need to watch his right shoulder and see how it drops on every shot he plays, more on power shots than on soft shots, and his offset cueing reflects this, he offsets more when playing power than he does when stroking them in slowly.
                              He surely sees the cue ball where it is for every shot, if it was simply a sighting issue then the offset wouldn't change.
                              Last edited by vmax4steve; 25 November 2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X