Woods cues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woods cues?

Have any of you heard of woods cues? And know if there anygood? Many thanks in advance.

If you have a search for Woods cues on here you will find at least one review, and some personal experiences. I've only had my hands on one, which I picked up secondhand. It wont win any beauty contests and even after being sanded down, to take off the laquer, and then oiled, the finish isn't quite to my taste. Surprisingly though, it plays rather well, and it's well worth the £20 I picked it up for. On a par with my Grand Emperor, which is a circa £120 cue.

Read that stuff here though....may not be for everyone, and outcomes may vary.

Comment

Think it totally depends which you go for; I have tried 3 woods cues (haven't owned one). First I played with a £30 one which I thought was awful, plastic felt horrible,,,, however I do hate ash cues and this was ash; I have also played with several £200+ ash cues and didn't like them either...

2 Players on my team have bought maple cues from woods. 1st one was about £80 with mini butt and I must say this is a really nice cue, I know he was offered £150 for it by someone and he turned it down as he really likes it, to me it certainly felt great for the price. The second player bought the £120 top of the range maple pool cue from woods; this Is a nice cue, but not quite my cuppa, seems very stiff but then it also has an 8.5m tip on which I smaller than I use. Even though its not for me, I know he really likes the cue.

LONG STORY SHORT... Woods cues are great, if you are hunting for a cue around the £100 mark. May also be worth checking out Tiger from what I hear but personally haven't tried one of theirs, maybe others will know more about them. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have 1 for sale. If you really want 1. I had an absolute nightmare buying mine though. Kent is horrendous to deal with. You will be lucky to get 1 before april off him. So either get 1 off ebay or buy mine ��

Comment

Played with the woods and the emperor last night, specifically to see which I would prefer as a second cue. The emperor just won through. It's going in my case alongside the badged butters in case of tip emergencies.

The woods is going in the rack.

Comment

it's off the topic what i'm gonna say ( sorry about that ),
            But honestly, I just do'nt understand you guys !! why so much troble ?
            If you want a Nice cue with a reasonable price, we have many honest people on this forum to contact with an buy one .
            ADR is one of them.
            anyway, it's a matter of personal preference, i guess !

Comment

Just my two cents. I live in Canada so hard to get decent Snooker cue. Pool cues all over the place. Anyway I ordered a woods one piece cue with case and extension. Not much choice as they only sell certain cues to international market. Long story short ordered on Friday received from China on Monday. I can't get mail from Vancouver that fast and its only 50 K away. Played with it a week and it is straight and very solid. Looks like painted finish but I like the feel. Very happy for 85 P

Comment

Just out of interest did you order it from the woods websute or off ebay

Comment

From their website.Their selection was very limited for international sales. This has now become my prefered cue replacing my 3/4 peridon.

Comment

I can't say ive ever played with a woods cue but i believe they are top notch.
                    I bought my cue from a ebay shop called LP cues for 10 quid at the time including a mini butt!! Best cue i ever played with and works for me. Wont work for everyone though.
                    I find that people buying cues these days are more concerned about the splicing than anything else and cue makers will more often than not post up pics of the splicing rather than the actual shaft which at the end of the day is far more important for play-ability!! Try to remember....splicing WILL not make you a better player!! The top pros have little or no elaborate splicing except Stuart bingham that i can think of.
                    Whats the point in an impressive looking cue if you can't back it up with impressive play?
                    Also people order cues at exact preferences without really knowing what their doing. They haven't properly measured the length they require which has more to do with bridge-hand to cue ball distance than height of the person.
                    They also order a random weight without properly considering their cue action, stance and follow through.

Spend 300 bucks having one of these cues custom made.....but make sure it works for you or else it will be on ebay in 6 months time and you wasted time and money.

Comment

Originally Posted by atourdeforce View Post
                      I can't say ive ever played with a woods cue but i believe they are top notch.
                      Also people order cues at exact preferences without really knowing what their doing. They haven't properly measured the length they require which has more to do with bridge-hand to cue ball distance than height of the person.
                      They also order a random weight without properly considering their cue action, stance and follow through.

You believe wrong I'm afraid!
                      How do you know what people are ordering? ????

Comment

I see it in my own club. Players of all abilaties come into my club every day and think they need longer/shorter or heavier/lighter cues etc on their own intuition. 8/10 of these player go ahead and buy expensive cues based on their intuition only to be very disappointed with the result. In fact most play similar, some play worse but very few play any better because they really don't understand what works/doesn't.
                        I can only speak for my own club but 60-70% of players in my club who buy custom cues sell them on within 2-3 years. Ebay and the likes are full of secondhand cues. Some people hang on to them because the spent a lot of money but won't improve their game.
                        My advice to the kids is.....buy a few cheap cues, find one that works, then approach a cue maker and have one made as close to spec as that as possible. Or go to a coach and get measured.

Comment

Working...
                        X