Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dominant eye what is the best way to test it????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dominant eye what is the best way to test it????

hello snooker forumers i want to ask what is the most and effective way to test a dominant eye..i do some test like pointing my thumb/index finger to and object about 6feet away and i notice that i cannot block the small object in my right or left thumb/index finger i use but when i close my left eye the object is totally block with my right or left thumb.....i would like ask what is the best way to check my cue if it is straight when i down in the shot..my cue is in the middle of my chin sometimes slighlty to my right chin just slight it could be the reason why im not so consistent in my potting..im right handed and i change may boxer stance since im playing pool i change it in square stance coz i want to try the snooker stance style..please help me thanks

...place a piece of chalk on one cushion. From the opposite cushion look at the chalk, and make a tight frame on it with your hands. Without moving close one eye, and then the other. With your dominant eye the chalk will still be framed by your hands when the other eye is closed. Try it from both top and bottom, and side cushions. It is possible for dominant eye to change with distance.

Comment

i will try try it when i go to club ill test it..i can shot a straight shot/dead center but its has always unwanted side spin on the the cue ball maybe i did not hit the true cue ball center hoping i will fix it...

Comment

dominant eye what is the best way to test it????

you can check your dominant eye anywhere, as mentioned pick anything that is at distance, frame with fingers with both eyes open, then closing each eye in turn, the eye where you see the object is your dominant eye.
        But what you describe is not really to do with your eyes but down to not delivering the cue straight.
        have you done the cue ball up and down the spots? if you can do this you are finding the centre of the cue ball and delivering the cue straight.
        Have a look at the coaching section and the cueing thread etc on tips to control your cueing action and train a good action
        good luck
        Last edited by DeanH; 28 November 2015, 01:31 PM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

yup i try the drill cue ball up and down on the spots but its always go slightly to the right far to my cue tip...im here in phillipines snooker is not popular to this country a lot of players play a pool/billiards i think i cant find a coach here,,maybe i do it hardly with my self try and try until succeed

Comment

Originally Posted by swestlife View Post
            yup i try the drill cue ball up and down on the spots but its always go slightly to the right far to my cue tip...im here in phillipines snooker is not popular to this country a lot of players play a pool/billiards i think i cant find a coach here,,maybe i do it hardly with my self try and try until succeed
            So, when you play up and down the spots, what are you looking at ?

You shouldn't be looking at the cue ball, you shouldn't be looking at nothing in particular along the path the cue ball needs to take, you need a specific target, so you should place a block of chalk on the rail directly behind the black spot and look at that to line up the pot, and also on the strike, then see where the cue ball ends up.

If you don't do this then you can't work out if you have sighting or cueing issues.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              So, when you play up and down the spots, what are you looking at ?

You shouldn't be looking at the cue ball, you shouldn't be looking at nothing in particular along the path the cue ball needs to take, you need a specific target, so you should place a block of chalk on the rail directly behind the black spot and look at that to line up the pot, and also on the strike, then see where the cue ball ends up.

If you don't do this then you can't work out if you have sighting or cueing issues.
              im looking at the cue ball from the start to finish after looking at the target then strike the cue ball but it always going to the right side most of the time sometimes going to the left about 2 inches away from my cue tip when it come down after stiking it

Comment

im looking at the cue ball from the start to finish after looking at the target then strike the cue ball but it always going to the right side most of the time sometimes going to the left about 2 inches away from my cue tip when it come down after stiking it
                Didn't I say you shouldn't be looking at the cue ball.

You should be looking at the target when striking the cue ball, the cue ball is not the target, the object ball is the target, the block of chalk on the rail behind the black spot is the target when shooting up and down the spots.

Comment

thanks sir vmaxsteve i give a try..sorry for not understanding an englidh im not fluent to speak o communicate..you mean find the target first then draw an imaginary straight line from the target like chalk down to the cue ball,,or dee the cue ball first then draw an imaginary straight line from cue ball up to the target...i test my eyes and i think im right eye dominant cause i see myself my cue is under my right chin,and when i test my eyes like making an triangle shape of my both hands close my left eye and the chalk still there but when i close my right eye the chalk disappear im right handed also,is the square stance is suite for me or i go back to my old stance boxer stance both feet is on the line of the shot..

Comment

what is the right way is the cue under the dominant eye or like nic barrow says cue must be middle chin?

Comment

thanks sir vmaxsteve i give a try..sorry for not understanding an englidh im not fluent to speak o communicate..you mean find the target first then draw an imaginary straight line from the target like chalk down to the cue ball,,or dee the cue ball first then draw an imaginary straight line from cue ball up to the target...i test my eyes and i think im right eye dominant cause i see myself my cue is under my right chin,and when i test my eyes like making an triangle shape of my both hands close my left eye and the chalk still there but when i close my right eye the chalk disappear im right handed also,is the square stance is suite for me or i go back to my old stance boxer stance both feet is on the line of the shot..
                      To 'shoot the spots' just place a piece of chalk (or anything else you can see, I use a small wooden dowel with a line drawn on it) on top of the cushion so you can see it. Place cueball on the brown spot and treat the chalk or dowel as your object ball and try and hit it centre-ball and see where your cueball comes back to you after 2 lengths of the table and then after 4 lengths of the table.

Don't worry about your dominant eye as you brain will automatically work that out for you and since you're cueing to the right of centre-chin it sounds like it already has
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        To 'shoot the spots' just place a piece of chalk (or anything else you can see, I use a small wooden dowel with a line drawn on it) on top of the cushion so you can see it. Place cueball on the brown spot and treat the chalk or dowel as your object ball and try and hit it centre-ball and see where your cueball comes back to you after 2 lengths of the table and then after 4 lengths of the table.
                        A good idea to is stay down on the shot and see if you can get the cue ball to return to your tip. Repeat +++

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Never mind what eye is dominant, find out first whether you have sighting issues or cueing issues.
                          Test your cue action by shooting over the spots, like I said, and Terry has backed me up on this, you need a target behind the black spot on the rail to aim for and look at.

Do not under any circumstance place the cue right in the middle of your chin just because you've read somewhere that this is correct, it isn't because everyones eyesight is different and you have to allow your eyes to give your brain the information it needs to find the right line of aim.

Stand behind the shot and simply look at the cue ball, then look at the target, no imaginary lines are needed, the simple act of looking at the cue ball and then the target tells your brain what you intend to do.
                          Place your feet while looking at the target, once feet are in place switch eyes to the cue ball and address your tip to the cue ball while getting down into your stance, or flick eyes between target and cue ball while getting down, or get down while still looking at the target, it differs for different people, find a system for you that places the tip of your cue at the exact centre of the cue ball.

Once down into the stance look at the target and deliver the cue while looking at the target, if you can do this, and you must be certain that you are doing this, and the cue ball still goes to the right, then you have either a sighting issue, which can be cured by altering your stance, or you have a cueing issue that will need work to straighten out.

Comment

i do the advised i read in my thread...and thanks to all the comments my alignment improve the cue ball back to my tip in 10 shot 7 out of 10 the cue ball back to my tip ..one i noticed is when i get down in the shot i see the cue stick is both eye open not straight but when i close my left eye the shot is true i mean i see the straight cue.i trust my eyes and alignment when i'm in down position..thanks to all...next to learn is the power of the shot i hear some of the club i hear 1 2 3 4 power in his shot..

Comment

BTW can i ask again where you start first to see the center of the cue ball is it you start from the top,,the buttom where the cue ball lay in table cloth,or from the vertical and horizontal of the cue ball.?what is the ideal and most coach teach to thier student to properly see the center cue ball thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                              X