Elk master even less consistent???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk master even less consistent???

I understand elk master tips have always been inconsistent but of late I can't find any good ones. I must have changed 20 now on my cue and all are either spongy or the odd one may be hard but don't have the "feel" that I have become used too from a good one. I've tried many layered tips (ADR, Coutts, Talisman, blackspin) and don't like any off them as, to me,they are too hard. Is there any tips out there that are the same as the elk master. I've also tried the older MW super tips, green baize, blue diamond but it seems I can only get on with a good elk. Are the new MW tips similar to elks? Or maybe dave coutts pressed tips?? Is there many more players searching for good elks and have ye found anything similar??
    Really in trouble here THANKS

Originally Posted by sfmcar View Post
    I understand elk master tips have always been inconsistent but of late I can't find any good ones. I must have changed 20 now on my cue and all are either spongy or the odd one may be hard but don't have the "feel" that I have become used too from a good one. I've tried many layered tips (ADR, Coutts, Talisman, blackspin) and don't like any off them as, to me,they are too hard. Is there any tips out there that are the same as the elk master. I've also tried the older MW super tips, green baize, blue diamond but it seems I can only get on with a good elk. Are the new MW tips similar to elks? Or maybe dave coutts pressed tips?? Is there many more players searching for good elks and have ye found anything similar??
    Really in trouble here THANKS
    I guess it's all down to personal taste.

I used the older MW Super tips and felt they were like a good elk every time. We all feel something different.

Sounds like you've done the rounds on tips; I can't ever remember trying that many different types.

I fit a lot of tips for club players and I agree with the only get 3 goo uns in a box but not had any complaints for a while now regarding feel.

I normally squeeze the elks in a vice (with wood in it) until I get a good impression in the wood and then fit them and shape, normally takes a fair bit of the spongyness out for me.

Good luck in your search though!
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

You could try Grand snooker tips (Soft) Excellent pressed tip imo

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
        You could try Grand snooker tips (Soft) Excellent pressed tip imo
        I've heard good rev's about those indeed .
        Byrom said sumthing about D Coutts tips.
        I asked ADR to send us a few.
        Not bad either . more consistent comperd to elk .

Comment

sfmcar, if you want to try the Grand Cue tips let me know as I have a few you can have.
          #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Thanks lads. Yes fredkite i would like to try them thanks. Ill try any recommendations at this stage!! What has been you experience with them?

Comment

Liked them at first but then they went quite hard.
              #jeSuisByrom

Comment

how many hours of play did you afford for each tip?
                20 tips over a period of even a year is way too much for me.

if the average good elkmaster is considered too hard for yourself, then I suggest that you try an ADR147 soft.
                It is a layered tip but the hardness is just about there-- costly, but i think if you get a good one, a tip can last for a year or more.

Comment

I only play uk 8 ball pool and have played with an ADR 147 medium for last 6 months but fancied a change from laminated.I have recently switched to a Buffalo Diamond plus.Positional play seems better but would prefer a slightly firmer pressed tip.I have the new and improved Mike Wooldridge supertips on order and I am also going to give Dave Coutts Royal tips a try.I will post reviews in next few weeks.

Comment

I put the Buffalo diamond Plus tips in a tip press, and as long as I don't mess up putting them on, they are perfect for me.

Comment

Try the special unchalked elkmasters if you can get them. Not sure if Dave Coutts or Stu at greenbaize has them at mo, but if you like a good firm elk, you will really like these.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
                        I put the Buffalo diamond Plus tips in a tip press, and as long as I don't mess up putting them on, they are perfect for me.
                        i think for old school style tips this is now the way forward, elks are becoming very mixed.
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I think I will give a tip press a go as I like the BD+. Can anyone recommend a good value one please as i've seen them from £7 up to £40ish for a Picone tip press.

Comment

sfmcar, pm me your address again mate, I deleted it by mistake.

I bought a Chinese tip press off eBay for 9 quid, mine's the flat one but there's a domed version as well.
                            #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by Shads147 View Post
                              Try the special unchalked elkmasters if you can get them. Not sure if Dave Coutts or Stu at greenbaize has them at mo, but if you like a good firm elk, you will really like these.
                              I like these as well , got a couple left . They seem to last a long time as well .
                              Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Working...
                              X