Aluminium Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium Cue

Did anyone ever own/play with an aluminium cue. I seem to remember these cues way back when. They didn't really take off, but I was fascinated by the idea of someone playing with a metal shaft. I wonder how they played and if any survived?
    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

the joe davis apollo cue, yes your right didnt really take off, due to the sound of the cue hitting the ball, the ting sounds was similiar to someones nails going down a black board. think the first time joe davis played with one he didnt recommend it and think pulled his name from it

Comment

played with 1 early 60s toss

Comment

Aluminium Cue

Daft idea really, can't see it giving much if any feedback. Same goes for those graphite cues, tried one of those once and it just felt numb.

Comment

There were two styles a silver and a gold one , with either whiteor black rubber sleeves on the butt . They wer,nt very good and had ahollow feel to them .

Comment

There was once and old battered one under one of the tables in the local pub and I used it for a shot and the noise they make is horrendous.

Comment

I used one that played well for pool. The feel was fine. I don't really see why wood should provide more feedback than metal.
              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Short article on it with a pic of Joe Davis using one for a masse shot.

http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.u...1983-5236/8222

Comment

According to the adverts, some of the top professional players used these cues at one time or another, although not for long I suspect.

One of the later models had a central joint which they called an "impact controller" which was supposed to reduce the amount of "throw" when playing with side. I think this may have been an issue with the standard model. I only know of one amateur in my area who played to any sort of decent standard with one. He used the cue so much that the coating wore off where he bridged through his hand exposing the base metal, making it very sticky.

They were made by Accles & Pollock who were based at Oldbury, and also made a range of fishing rods and archery products using the same principle. Personally I though they were best for the long rest as they were invariably much lighter and straighter than the ones usually provided at clubs.

Comment

The one I used had lots of little grooves on the surface and played very smoothly.
                    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Found one last week ,when I was having a clear out at the snooker club..... Had a few shots with it ..... Played with a lot worse...lol

Comment

There used to be a full page advert for these cues in Snooker Scene magazine 40 years ago. The advert started with the wording [I]The secret of hundred break Harry..[I] I own one of these cues and they are terrible. They sound awful when you hit the ball, the shaft drags on the bridge hand and screeching sound of the shaft when using a rest with a brass head cannot be described. These days you can go on you tube and see kids making 147s for fun but you won't find Harry or anyone else who can make a hundred break with one of these cues.

Comment

Aluminium Cue

I've got about 5 of these cues, both gold and silver, kept them for the novelty aspect as part of a small collection

Not really suitable for the modern game, I've seen them used for cross rest shafts

Comment

Speaking of aluminium cues

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Alu...17853507970887

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                              Wondering the "fell" of this cue?

Comment

Working...
                              X