Sighting problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sighting problem.

When I pull my cue back, I look at the object ball, when I feather the cue ball, I look at the cue ball, then on execution of the shot I look at the object ball, this works great in and amongst the balls, however on long shots I miss 9/10 times, however when I scrap this way of sighting and go back to my old way of random eye movements, my long potting is better, potting every 7/10 shots, what should I do in the case? persist with the correct eye action, or go back to the wrong one that works better with long shots?

Originally Posted by JoshDyson147 View Post
    When I pull my cue back, I look at the object ball, when I feather the cue ball, I look at the cue ball, then on execution of the shot I look at the object ball, this works great in and amongst the balls, however on long shots I miss 9/10 times, however when I scrap this way of sighting and go back to my old way of random eye movements, my long potting is better, potting every 7/10 shots, what should I do in the case? persist with the correct eye action, or go back to the wrong one that works better with long shots?
    Those random eye movements that you describe could very well be the natural way you sight when down in your stance and the moment you strike the cue ball is the moment that you are actually looking at the object ball. It happens in a split second for some players and is part of their natural rhythm of eye movement in conjunction with their hand.

If you are potting 7/10 long shots with your natural method of sighting then I would assume that your potting when close in would also be better as long shots are harder to make.
    It's a difficult call but if I were you I would play as naturally as possible in order to keep as few thoughts in your head as you can.

Comment

I agree with vmax here. Every player will have a different eye rhythm which is natural to them and that natural eye rhythm actually controls the rhythm and timing of the backswing and delivery.

I know some coaches teach the eyes should focus on the cueball during a feathering backswing and then focus on the object ball during the feathering frontways swing however to me that seems to be too mechanical and coaches should allow their students to develop their own natural eye movement.

Another problem you might be having is you are down on the shot and your brain is attempting to consciously control and regulate your eye movement and this is not really a good thing as your brain just needs to focus the eyes on the object ball at the time of strike. As long as somewhere during the feathering or the front pause you do the final check on your sighting everything should be fine plus you brain will be clear if you use your natural eye movement.

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thank you for your replies, just to clarify, does it matter or not whether I look at the cue ball during execution? and should I return to my natural eye movements all together including short range shots which I think have improved? Thanks again

Comment

hi josh,
          i think you might get some more feedback by slowing down you final bs, i like to look at my cue coming back straight and then switch to ob just before my back pause. that way i feel iv truly seen the whole shot, especially on long to mid range balls
          enjoy

Comment

Playing Snooker Like Mathematician Tecnique

Hi guys just wanna get some opinions about this..3 year ago i went to dubai and i meet 1 pakistanis player who played in tournament.. the guy could do average 40-70 simply.. but what catch my eye on him that the way he standing, sighting are all beyond logic and not even been use by most of player.. eg he standing with right arm play feet align to CB and pocket hole and mark his OB to full ball.. and potting the ball at any distance like nothing even OB not on a straight angle.. his methot says all five ball under 15 degree to left or right are actually a full ball.. what ever beyond that its actually a half ball.. kinda confusing.. but i take a while with the guy and learn from him and its work wonder.. the ball went to hole not even touching the cusions and had a pop sound.. such acuracy on this sighting technique.. on every type of angle also he devellope some kind op potting persentages with will covered for desitions either to do safety or tries for breaks.. had anyone heard of this..

Comment

Sorry if I have got this wrong, but are you saying anything under a half ball pot he played as a straight shot?
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                Sorry if I have got this wrong, but are you saying anything under a half ball pot he played as a straight shot?
                I didn't understand it at all.

Comment

Hard to grasp your meaning, but obviously witchcraft involved

Comment

Sound like he is using a pivot system that pool players use. They aim at the edge of OB then pivot the cue back to Center of CB and aim at at Center of OB. It's the pivot that gives him the potting angle, have to say when a player has this system down to a tea it looks effortless.

Plenty of videos on YouTube about these techniques mostly used by pool player and very rarely snooker players.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

not sure but what i been explain and prove his correct is he do like this.. allingn 5 red on blue spot tightly, place your playing hand foot allign with white straight to pocket hole.. then aim each one of it with full ball.. seem not logic but when i pot it all of it actually a full ball.. he do that way.. and what ever angle that more then 5 ball to the left or right its actually a 3/4 ball.. but the guy calling it half ball...

Comment

This is getting harder not easier lol. So you have one red on the blue spot and two either side(touching) running across the table , line the white up directly with the red on the blue spot and the bottom pocket so you have a perfectly straight shot Is that correct? Then you are saying the two balls either side are also full ball pots, again sorry if I'm not getting this but I'm struggling a wee bit to understand. I have re read your post, I think you said one ball on the blue spot then four others (basically touching) on one side(not as I first thought two either side of the blue spot) and these are all full ball pots, is that it?
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                          hi josh,
                          i like to look at my cue coming back straight and then switch to ob just before my back pause. that way i feel iv truly seen the whole shot, especially on long to mid range balls
                          enjoy
                          i do this and it helps keep the cue straight and on line, when i don't which sometimes i find my self doing it feels un-natural to me and messes up my timing all together

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                            I didn't understand it at all.
                            SNAP , I didn't get it either

Comment

Originally Posted by Fairuz View Post
                              place your playing hand foot
                              what do you mean by this

allign with white straight to pocket hole..
                              Which pocket

aim each one of it with full ball..
                              so you aim every ball full ball? doesn't make sense

Comment

Working...
                              X