Kamui original laminated tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamui original laminated tip

I have just put an Kamui 11mm tip on my 10mm cue what is the best way to shape these do I do the same as elks etc I will also be using a cuetec bowtie cue tool any advise guys and are these tips any good.

I'm using the KAMUI MH, well... I just use a sand paper...

Comment

Originally Posted by ardvark66 View Post
      I have just put an Kamui 11mm tip on my 10mm cue what is the best way to shape these do I do the same as elks etc I will also be using a cuetec bowtie cue tool any advise guys and are these tips any good.
      Dear god don't use that cuetec tool! That will tear the tip to shreds and pull the laminations apart. You need to be much more gentle with your tip. It's not as unbreakable as you think. Use medium grit sandpaper to shape the tip, and then finer sandpaper to remove the rough spots. Laminated tips are a little sturdier than pressed, but you need to have patience with them.
      Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
      My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
        Dear god don't use that cuetec tool! That will tear the tip to shreds and pull the laminations apart. You need to be much more gentle with your tip. It's not as unbreakable as you think. Use medium grit sandpaper to shape the tip, and then finer sandpaper to remove the rough spots. Laminated tips are a little sturdier than pressed, but you need to have patience with them.
        Don't like the use of sandpaper although I know a lot of players use it. I have one of those fingernail files you get at your local Shoppers Drug Mart (Boots in the UK) which have a very fine side and one a little more rough. They are perfect for shaping and removing any of the Irish pennants that stick out and they will last forever.

I have read somewhere sandpaper can leave little bits of glass in the tip which will chew through and also scratch the cueball.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Agree with Terry. sandpaper can leave little bits of glass in the tip whichwill chew through and usefull scratch the cueball and BAD Contact !!!! I followed the advice of some members here on the forum, and bought a Kamui Gator Grip. is perfect. as I mentioned in another thrt, they are not cheap but worth the money.!!!!! in my opinion is much better than sandpaper !!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Don't like the use of sandpaper although I know a lot of players use it. I have one of those fingernail files you get at your local Shoppers Drug Mart (Boots in the UK) which have a very fine side and one a little more rough. They are perfect for shaping and removing any of the Irish pennants that stick out and they will last forever.

I have read somewhere sandpaper can leave little bits of glass in the tip which will chew through and also scratch the cueball.

Terry
            Noted. I like using sandpaper cause I can curve the paper in my hand and get just the right shape. I don't use the coarse brown stuff, I use sandpaper meant for car finishing. I haven't seen the issue of small glass particles left in the tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post

Terry
              Just found this info:http://home.howstuffworks.com/differ...-sandpaper.htm

There are four main types of sandpaper grits: aluminum oxide, garnet, silicon carbide and ceramic. Aluminum oxide lasts longer than the other kinds of grits since it contains a self-renewing property; because it's the most delicate, it crumbles easily, forming new soft edges. Garnet wears out the fastest but produces the smoothest surface. Silicon carbide is ideal for sanding harder materials such as metals and plastic. Finally, ceramic, the most expensive and roughest grit, is used for shaping wood.

Comment

Good read for the sandpaper junkies out there: http://manna-in-the-wild.hubpages.co...-sandpaper-use

Comment

I use a hard skin file, this one is perfect and lasts very long:
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scholl-Footc...ds=Scholl+file

71Q7uWBw7fL._SL1500_.jpg

Comment

I like using sandpaper cause I can curve the paper in my hand and get just the right shape.
                    For the rough shaping process right after fitting a new tip I use a tool called Sandman Tip Tool. I'd say the best way to describe it would be a curved nail file with permanent/built in, coarse sandpaper. All that in stainless steel, so no need to replace the sandpaper. Available here in the US from this merchant:

http://www.seyberts.com/products/San...ool-58-24.html

I usually gently "spin" the cue (with a thick towel or rug underneath the butt on the floor), and apply light pressure on the tip with the sandman tool using a ~45 degree angle until the tip is close to the desired shape & height. For the fine tuning process towards the end I switch to my Gator Grip tool (and burnish the sides in a way similar you have described before, LongBomber).

There is now a hybrid version of the Sandman tool and GatorGrip available. See on ebay right here:
                    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-J-J-Du...item35c4e73122

This is a sandman tool but instead of the coarse grit it's a thin film like the GatorGrip tool. Very nice gadget.

Comment

Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
                      For the rough shaping process right after fitting a new tip I use a tool called Sandman Tip Tool. I'd say the best way to describe it would be a curved nail file with permanent/built in, coarse sandpaper. All that in stainless steel, so no need to replace the sandpaper. Available here in the US from this merchant:

http://www.seyberts.com/products/San...ool-58-24.html

I usually gently "spin" the cue (with a thick towel or rug underneath the butt on the floor), and apply light pressure on the tip with the sandman tool using a ~45 degree angle until the tip is close to the desired shape & height. For the fine tuning process towards the end I switch to my Gator Grip tool (and burnish the sides in a way similar you have described before, LongBomber).

There is now a hybrid version of the Sandman tool and GatorGrip available. See on ebay right here:
                      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-J-J-Du...item35c4e73122

This is a sandman tool but instead of the coarse grit it's a thin film like the GatorGrip tool. Very nice gadget.
                      Very cool. I think I will have to graduate from my old school sandpaper. I will put this up for my next purchase and try it out.

Comment

I use one of these on my kamui tips

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUNGSTEN-C...item3cb898834d

Comment

Very cool. I think I will have to graduate from my old school sandpaper. I will put this up for my next purchase and try it out.
                          Absolutely nothing wrong with old school sandpaper, but if technology exists we'd be fool not to take advantage of it. Especially as we get older, whatever time I'm not wasting sanding down my cue tips I can spend it on the practice table or with my kids (or taking a nap...).

One piece of advice if you are using the sandman tool on laminated tips: probably OK to apply a lot of pressure early on but as you get closer to the desired shape & height you should definitely slow down and apply more gentle pressure in order not to delaminate the tip. I've been doing this on kamui tips (both regular and clear types) and never had any issues with delamination.

Comment

Kamui original laminated tip

As were talking Kamui im thinking to try one out, but not quite sure which one? s m mh or h? looking for crystal clear solid contact with lots of response. Just become sick of elks again unfortunately. Quick thought though heard phoenix black meant to be nice and responsive so any opinions much appreciated?

Comment

Originally Posted by screw View Post
                              As were talking Kamui im thinking to try one out, but not quite sure which one? s m mh or h? looking for crystal clear solid contact with lots of response. Just become sick of elks again unfortunately. Quick thought though heard phoenix black meant to be nice and responsive so any opinions much appreciated?
                              I've used them both. in my opinion, Phoenix 11 mm medium, is much better than kamui.!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X