My head has gone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
    Well then we need to figure out what that reason is. Either you don't have experience with the shot (even it's the right shot), or you DO have experience but are just missing under pressure. What's the answer?

I occasionally have this debate with a friend: either pick the right shot, or pick the right shot for you. So maybe you are picking the right shot as what you think you are supposed to play, but since you can't execute, that small doubt always creeps in and you end up missing. It's the same as if you were going into the blue from the 3/4 position and smashed all the reds, and yet, you can't make a big break (not saying you can't just using this example for contrast).

The question then is, "Should a snooker player play the way they are SUPPOSED to play (by watching pros and trying to duplicate their approach), or should a player play the game the way THEY CAN play? If you play WITHIN your limits, the problem then occurs about EXPANDING your limits. It seems like a difficult debate but actually the answer is quite simple:

Play YOUR game in match play, and then learn to EXPAND your game (to wherever you want it to go) on the practice table. If you are missing shots that you BELIEVE are correct, where is that belief coming from? From watching pros, or from knowing what you are capable of? If you are trying to play at a level ABOVE your current ability, then you may need to revise your approach to match play. You shouldn't be trying to duplicate a pro's approach to the game when you are in a match. You should play WITHIN your current abilities, keeping the RISK/REWARD of shot selection in your favor (so you win), and then work on expanding your capabilities on the practice table.

I wrote on this more in depth here: http://snookerdelight.com/snooker-ar...ection-part-1/
    I'm playing shots that I am experienced in but missing under pressure I think. I play them all the time when I'm playing friends in a practice game and the majority of the time they work. I'm not sure if it's a confidence thing or a pressure thing? I assume if it's a confidence thing then practice is the answer? But I'm not convinced it is the problem.
    Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
      I'm playing shots that I am experienced in but missing under pressure I think. I play them all the time when I'm playing friends in a practice game and the majority of the time they work. I'm not sure if it's a confidence thing or a pressure thing? I assume if it's a confidence thing then practice is the answer? But I'm not convinced it is the problem.
      how often do you practice? hrs per week/month

Comment

Originally Posted by Stupree View Post
        Danny,

Tell me about a particular player you come up against in match situations who is of similar standard to you.

Habits, attitude, shot selection, technique?
        Hi Stupree,
        If you mean MY habits, attitude etc, then I think shot selection and technique are ok and even habits BUT as far as attitude is concerned it might be that? When I'm playing someone who is of similar or lesser ability my head is all over the place from the time I leave home but when I'm playing someone better I seem to be more focused (maybe my expectations are lower?)
        Last edited by danam1; 12 July 2014, 09:49 PM.
        Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          how often do you practice? hrs per week/month
          Not enough j6! Maybe 2 hours tops.
          But I'm building this!!

Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

well i wouldn't look too deep into your form at the moment, just enjoy it as a wind down and not a wind-up.
            i take it that will be the snooker or pool cave, looking forwards to seeing some pics of it when its finished

Comment

Not enough j6! Maybe 2 hours tops.
              But I'm building this!!

Well that will certainly not hurt your game. I also have my own table but this game can still be so frustrating. I agree with a lot of the posts above. Playing the correct shot for you is really the answer. Getting the mental side of this game correct is so important. J6 has asked me in the past what did I do when I played professional golf and I really had no answer I just did it. Not true I have just recently got my passion back for golf and have been practicing and playing very well and I now realize that every shot I hit I play it in my mind and then execute the shot you can not let your mind wander for a second. I know when I am on the table there is no pre shot routine and forsure I do not play it in my mind and my mind wanders all over the place. I was down on my table a couple nights ago for the first time in a couple weeks and I through 15 reds on the table and made 12 of them before I missed. I found myself with a totally different mindset then normal. I played in a golf tournament yesterday with a lot of the Snooker Stars from the past and had a chat with Cliff after we finished and we spoke about this exact thing. Play Snooker the same way as you play golf. The difference between being good and being great is all in your head. Cliff played right behind us and he grinds out every shot on the course the same as he does on the table. I only do it on the course.
              " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
              " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
              http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Try playing for something danam. A pint, the table fees the next lap dance, anything but not anything crazy. You will find as I did, when there is something more than just the game (excluding pride, i put that in my cue case as i take out the cue) you will focus more even when its for silly amounts. After a while you'll get fed up paying for the lights and get used to nerves at winning post and turn defeats into victories. Play different people so that you get used to playing and winning against differing opponents. Playing for something focuses the mind imo. Goodluck mate.

Comment

One area that can help is to create a routine for yourself. If you develop a routine for all aspects of your game, then under pressure, the routine will save you. Military understand this very well. Everything they do has steps and procedure so that under the pressure of a live gun fight, the routines they have imprinted in their head saves them. The challenge with snooker is that there is no "base" template that works for everyone. So the next best thing is to assimilate some stuff off pros. Watch how they approach the table, get down, and execute their shots and then try to find some consistent actions you can develop into your own game. This will relieve pressure because you will be focused on your shot execution, and not your opponent, the game, the frame, or the score.
                  Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                  My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                    well i wouldn't look too deep into your form at the moment, just enjoy it as a wind down and not a wind-up.
                    i take it that will be the snooker or pool cave, looking forwards to seeing some pics of it when its finished
                    Thanks j6 I hope when I start to put more hours in it will start to pay off.
                    It's a pool cave, the snooker cave is the one you can just about see next door. I'm there every Sunday!
                    Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.
                      I nearly asked my mate to play for a fiver the other night, perhaps I will next time.
                      Justf, can you elaborate on the pride thing?
                      Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Thanks j6 I hope when I start to put more hours in it will start to pay off.
                        It's a pool cave, the snooker cave is the one you can just about see next door. I'm there every Sunday!
                        i was gonna say that! don't forget to stick in a back door so you can get up and down the back ally for some fun and escape from the misses

Comment

Lol, she's now a snooker widow! It's great just sliding out a fence panel to get to the snooker hall!
                          Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Lol, she's now a snooker widow! It's great just sliding out a fence panel to get to the snooker hall!
                            your living the dream man

Comment

Working...
                            X