Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My head has gone!

I'm in need of some help desperately!
    I knew that when I started playing seriously that if anything was going to let me down it would be my head. That's exactly what has happened.
    I'm practicing with players who are better than me and I'm holding my own against them and sometimes beating them.
    The problem comes when I'm in proper match games, I'm losing to just about everyone I play and I can't put my finger on why? If I'm playing a game against a player who I know is much better than me I tend to play much better. I don't think it is a lack of respect for the players I'm playing against who I think I should beat (maybe it is?) or whether it's a concentration issue? I'm suffering large defeats against players who are of a similar standard to me so it's not as if I'm going into these games expecting to stuff them.
    Any help at all would be much appreciated.
    Danny
    Did you put my "1" up ?

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
    I'm in need of some help desperately!
    I knew that when I started playing seriously that if anything was going to let me down it would be my head. That's exactly what has happened.
    I'm practicing with players who are better than me and I'm holding my own against them and sometimes beating them.
    The problem comes when I'm in proper match games, I'm losing to just about everyone I play and I can't put my finger on why? If I'm playing a game against a player who I know is much better than me I tend to play much better. I don't think it is a lack of respect for the players I'm playing against who I think I should beat (maybe it is?) or whether it's a concentration issue? I'm suffering large defeats against players who are of a similar standard to me so it's not as if I'm going into these games expecting to stuff them.
    Any help at all would be much appreciated.
    Danny
    Play the match games like you're playing for fun or against one of your pals,it's a mind thing where you play in matches you tend to concentrate more thus going away from your normal flowing game.

Comment

All in the head and correct shot choices. When you play someone you consider is better, you knuckle down and generally play the correct shot. If you play someone you think you should beat, you tend to play that 1 risky shot too many. They pick up the pieces, picking off 16s and 20s and before you know it you are 40 down and losing the head.

I used to suffer badly from this but found that if you treat everyone you play like a top player, even if it looks like they can't hold a cue, these shocks don't happen so much.

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
        All in the head and correct shot choices. When you play someone you consider is better, you knuckle down and generally play the correct shot. If you play someone you think you should beat, you tend to play that 1 risky shot too many. They pick up the pieces, picking off 16s and 20s and before you know it you are 40 down and losing the head.

I used to suffer badly from this but found that if you treat everyone you play like a top player, even if it looks like they can't hold a cue, these shocks don't happen so much.
        Correct advice. You need to have a very consistent shot choice and execution system regardless of who you play. Snooker is a game within a game. There is the game you play against the opponent, and then there is the game you play against yourself - each time trying to better than before. Reading your OP, all you were talking about was "them" and not "myself". Instead of focusing outwards, turn your eyes inwards and focus on your own game. Select shots based on risk/reward and what the correct shot should be. Perhaps this will also help: http://snookerdelight.com/snooker-ar...ection-part-1/

If you look at the top pros, you will see that they all have a very very regular and predictable pre-shot routine. Almost robotic. That disciplined approach to shot execution doesn't just influence the shot they play, it also influences their own mindset on how to approach each frame. Regardless of who they play, they have a "system" that guides them. Develop your own that includes shot selection and execution. Look at your opponent as someone that is helping you setup a practice routine you haven't seen before. Follow your own principles on shot making with diligence and discipline.
        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

My head has gone!

Aim to TRY your best rather than PLAYING your best. There is a massive difference. trying your best is in your control and won't lead to frustration and putting pressure on yourself. Try your best in every game and if you play bad or good you know you can do no more. Playing your best is what your attempting to do but it's not within your control. There are table conditions, outside factors and your opponent all to consider and so when you inevitably don't play your best your be left frustrated and annoyed. Concentrate on TRYING your best and you will play much more relaxed.
          coaching is not just for the pros
          www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

The head is usually found at the top of your neck -

Don't take anyone for granted play the right shots keep patient and pick em off.

This game can drive a sane man nuts if you let it -the frustration and disappointment never ever goes away completely for anyone who plays snooker - even at a higher level - some people have just learned to deal with it better. So the answer is learn to deal with it better brush off the bad runs quickly move on - stay positive try to stay focused in the present - trust in your technique and the results will improve.

Comment

I am from a darts background and there is a saying in darts and that is play the board not your opponent , so play the table situation , the right shot ,is the right shot , the care taken should always be the same,doesn't matter who you play(wish I took my own advice)
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                I am from a darts background and there is a saying in darts and that is play the board not your opponent , so play the table situation , the right shot ,is the right shot , the care taken should always be the same,doesn't matter who you play(wish I took my own advice)
                Me too, but I got dartitis (says it all really!)
                Last edited by danam1; 11 July 2014, 10:05 PM.
                Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

I think most of the time I am picking the right shot, it's just that I can't execute it properly for some reason?
                  Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Me too, but I got dartitis (says it all really!)
                    I have a friend who is ok in almost every way used to be a quality pool player, play for drinks and sometimes small amounts of cash and now can hardly execute a shot. Seems to jab at the ball, actively "throw" his elbow into every shot. Hard to watch as he gets so frustrated and angry that he cant play properly. Went to docs, said nothing wrong with joints, muscles etc must be mental. At first we all thought he having us on, playing around but its real. Dont know if poolitis or sniikeritis exists, but if it does I think he may have it. Anyone else have anything like this? Did patsy fagan have something similar?

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
                      I have a friend who is ok in almost every way used to be a quality pool player, play for drinks and sometimes small amounts of cash and now can hardly execute a shot. Seems to jab at the ball, actively "throw" his elbow into every shot. Hard to watch as he gets so frustrated and angry that he cant play properly. Went to docs, said nothing wrong with joints, muscles etc must be mental. At first we all thought he having us on, playing around but its real. Dont know if poolitis or sniikeritis exists, but if it does I think he may have it. Anyone else have anything like this? Did patsy fagan have something similar?
                      I hope not.... I got Dartitis at 21 (44 now..) I've managed to keep healthy in cuesports until the last few weeks, I'm getting pins n needles down my left arm and pain in my left hand.. Hoping it's just a trapped nerve but cueing is agony......

Comment

Originally Posted by walt jabsco View Post
                        I hope not.... I got Dartitis at 21 (44 now..) I've managed to keep healthy in cuesports until the last few weeks, I'm getting pins n needles down my left arm and pain in my left hand.. Hoping it's just a trapped nerve but cueing is agony......
                        My friend doesnt complain of any pain. Sounds loke a trapped nerve as you say walt. I hope its not serious mate, get it checked out. When you got dartitis was any pain involved? Was that the end for darts with you forever?

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
                          My friend doesnt complain of any pain. Sounds loke a trapped nerve as you say walt. I hope its not serious mate, get it checked out. When you got dartitis was any pain involved? Was that the end for darts with you forever?
                          The darts was defo a mental block as no pain involved... I went from regular 15/20 dart finishes to over 50+ just couldn't release, i do still play but so frustrating at times... As for cuesports, I play pool at county level but haven't lifted my cue in 5 weeks painkillers/anti-inflammatories are doing nothing, I feel like chopping my arm off....

Comment

My head has gone!

Danny,

Tell me about a particular player you come up against in match situations who is of similar standard to you.

Habits, attitude, shot selection, technique?
                            On Cue Facebook Page
                            Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                            Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

I think most of the time I am picking the right shot, it's just that I can't execute it properly for some reason?
                              Well then we need to figure out what that reason is. Either you don't have experience with the shot (even it's the right shot), or you DO have experience but are just missing under pressure. What's the answer?

I occasionally have this debate with a friend: either pick the right shot, or pick the right shot for you. So maybe you are picking the right shot as what you think you are supposed to play, but since you can't execute, that small doubt always creeps in and you end up missing. It's the same as if you were going into the blue from the 3/4 position and smashed all the reds, and yet, you can't make a big break (not saying you can't just using this example for contrast).

The question then is, "Should a snooker player play the way they are SUPPOSED to play (by watching pros and trying to duplicate their approach), or should a player play the game the way THEY CAN play? If you play WITHIN your limits, the problem then occurs about EXPANDING your limits. It seems like a difficult debate but actually the answer is quite simple:

Play YOUR game in match play, and then learn to EXPAND your game (to wherever you want it to go) on the practice table. If you are missing shots that you BELIEVE are correct, where is that belief coming from? From watching pros, or from knowing what you are capable of? If you are trying to play at a level ABOVE your current ability, then you may need to revise your approach to match play. You shouldn't be trying to duplicate a pro's approach to the game when you are in a match. You should play WITHIN your current abilities, keeping the RISK/REWARD of shot selection in your favor (so you win), and then work on expanding your capabilities on the practice table.

I wrote on this more in depth here: http://snookerdelight.com/snooker-ar...ection-part-1/
                              Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                              My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Working...
                              X