No announcement yet.

Stephen Maguires latest cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't agree entirely it is conditioning or improved standards although late nights and drinking play a part for Higgins and Maguire perhaps? - Mark Allen just won the last event and he looks like he has been married to the owner of a KFC for a few years. The standard at the very top of the game is not as high as it was but the overall depth in quality lower down has improved dramatically.

for me Age and focus - concentration and the key words - desire and dedication play a massive part -

What I think it comes down to is ambition and practice - these three Higgins Williams and Maguire have won things and they don't have the hunger inside like they used to - therefore they don't dedicate themselves to practice as they should or as they used to - Williams and recently Ronnie is guilty of this too.
    Murphy played more on the golf course and I don't think dedicated himself properly either - although he has tried improving this recently.

The players that practice properly and dedicate themselves win more - simple as that - Used to be Higgins, Hendry, Ronnie and Williams.

The players that dedicate now are Ding, Selby and Robertson.

Looking for cues and blaming cues for poor form is them just finding an easy excuse to blame something other than themselves - and finding a way to try and motivate themselves to practice more to get used to it perhaps.

just think it comes down to mindset - motivation - determination - desire.

I have seen a lot of pro's that don't have this - they kid themselves that they do - and try to get by on natural talent which only goes so far - you only get out what you put in.
    Last edited by Byrom; 27 August 2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
      Think his back gives him a few problems.
      Having a chronic back problem affects the concentration and makes you want to reduce the time on the practice table.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ockmonix View Post
        I've seen him in China playing with a Mastercue M7 Pyragon 3/4 cue. In Riga and at the PHC he was using a one piece cue again. Does anyone know what cue he's actually using?
        Another Mastercue of his is a 1pc so it could be that one.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
          Having a chronic back problem affects the concentration and makes you want to reduce the time on the practice table.
          Very true, he has had more problems than people know about. Some time ago he gave Mark Allen a loan of his cue which he recently got returned so he is now using the cue he used years ago, I have the Mastercue he used in China and Australia to sell for him.

Comment

Very true, he has had more problems than people know about. Some time ago he gave Mark Allen a loan of his cue which he recently got returned so he is now using the cue he used years ago, I have the Mastercue he used in China and Australia to sell for him.
            hi Andy
            which one has he gone back to?
            Craftsman?
            JPU?
            RC?
            Exquisite?
            GBL?
            JO?

Comment

Maguire is one of those top players that doesn't get a good the run of the balls as often as other top players do. To blame his cue for this is wrong, he just needs to accept it, not let it get to him, and then when he's in a more relaxed frame of mind the run of the balls will start to favour him more often because he will play better because of a better mindset.

I posted a couple of years ago my thoughts on possible winners for the 2012 WSC and stated my favourites based only on their size. Higgins, too fat, Murphy, too fat, etc etc.
              Sounds like a p1ss take, but the fact remains that body size will alter a players stance and therefore affect his game. Maguire is one of those who has gained weight over the last few years, doesn't help those with a bad back having to carry around extra weight and have moobs in the way of the cue, a big gut hanging beneath your back when bent over and getting in the way when there are balls near the cushions and you're cueing over them.

As for switching cues all the time, apart from a cue breaking, I don't see why players switch cues all the time when their game has been learned and honed around a particular one. It's definately elitism in the case of those who aren't very good at the game and want to show off something other than their skills, but for those who are very good players then surely it's what you're used to and can play best with that matters, even if it's an old bent racker or a cheap ramin two piece from Argos.

Comment

interesting thoughts there vmax
                Murphy has lost weight and seems to be playing better now
                Allen seems to be putting weight on, and seems to be playing better now

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  hi Andy
                  Craftsman?
                  JPU?
                  RC?
                  Exquisite?
                  GBL?
                  JO?

If only he had those to choose from, he also has cues from maximus and Ton praram too! I guess if he can't find one amongst all those he feels comfortable with he may as well give up!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                    If only he had those to choose from, he also has cues from maximus and Ton praram too! I guess if he can't find one amongst all those he feels comfortable with he may as well give up!
                    I ran out of ink with the long list

Comment

hi Andy
                      Craftsman?
                      JPU?
                      RC?
                      Exquisite?
                      GBL?
                      JO?

Back to his old one piece Robin Cook.

Comment

interesting thoughts there vmax
                        Murphy has lost weight and seems to be playing better now
                        Allen seems to be putting weight on, and seems to be playing better now
                        I thought Allen looked a little thinner last week than he was last year. Not bumping up my prognosis, just an observation.

Comment

This is not True!

I agree with what Ronnie said many years ago... "Everybody Calls me Lucky when i get the odd flick or Run" the reason i get more luck than Others is im at the Table more than them so Obviously im gonna have a chance of having abit more luck as im potting alot more than them and at the table alot more than them when they are sitting down! .... 100% True Ronnie.

I used to have people saying Exactly the same to me when i was a good player, jesus gareth your lucky when i had nice flick or into the pack!......I said yes and that lucky to be potting most of the balls aswell yeah...ha ha

Gaz.

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                          Maguire is one of those top players that doesn't get a good the run of the balls as often as other top players do.

Comment

Last year or so maguire seems to have a slight flaw in his stroke,he's a chest thumper and if you look closely the tip goes to the left,which is typical of chest thumpers and sometimes it creeps in early

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
                              This is not True!

I agree with what Ronnie said many years ago... "Everybody Calls me Lucky when i get the odd flick or Run" the reason i get more luck than Others is im at the Table more than them so Obviously im gonna have a chance of having abit more luck as im potting alot more than them and at the table alot more than them when they are sitting down! .... 100% True Ronnie.

I used to have people saying Exactly the same to me when i was a good player, jesus gareth your lucky when i had nice flick or into the pack!......I said yes and that lucky to be potting most of the balls aswell yeah...ha ha

Gaz.
                              Totally agree with you Gazza, it reminds me of Steve Davis (I think) replying to someone who said he got more luck than others, Steve replied , yes and the more I practice the luckier I get, which I took to mean he was just better than everyone and worked harder as well.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Back to his old one piece Robin Cook.
                                thanks for that

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                                I thought Allen looked a little thinner last week than he was last year. Not bumping up my prognosis, just an observation.
                                as I said, to me he seems to be chunkier than before maybe just baggier clothes

Comment

Working...
                                X