No announcement yet.

Stephen Maguires latest cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Mark Allen can get away with it because he's younger. Steve Davis could produce brilliant form occasionally well into his 50's...he was always thin.
    Also, about the time put at the table...I'm afraid older players as good as they are would need to put more hours than younger players to stay competitive. Not sure if they still have passion and/or desire for that...

Comment

Well - you can excuse players for lack of desire more when they have won things or been right up there or ones with medical conditions that hamper their progress-

Ronnie Higgins Williams Hendry Higgins Maguire Murphy White Allen Trump and others have won stuff - they have the talent to bump along without to much effort - maybe this makes them lazy but at least they have been there.

My prognosis - for any player lower down the rankings who wants to make it - or for anyone trying to make it or a former top player trying to regain former glories - is be truthful with yourself. Are you giving yourself the best chance to succeed? How would you change this?

Dedicate yourself harder - not in spurts but 'all the time' - organise proper routines - mind and matter 'focused' table time on your own - work harder on improving weak areas in your game or give up now or get a job or another occupation stop wasting your time doing your own head in and your sponsors money.

How many professional player practice things on the table all week and go out and get hammered at the weekend>? Hands up if you are reading this - this is one step forward two steps back - Ok when young but it will catch up with you and you only get one chance in life to be the best you can be - so don't be one of those that say they could have or should have - listen to yourself and do it - make yourself proud - and that pride in effort is there if you know you have tried your utmost. Snooker at the top level is a proper sport now yet some still treat it as a game - Too many hangers on blowing smoke up their ass - telling them they are great or - will be the next big thing - I would tell them straight and some need telling.

Some might be making a living and are content to plod along doing that - some don't have the game or the belief or desire-hunger - these things can be worked on but if you are a professional snooker player I think there is no excuse for just being lazy.

For the rest of us who just enjoy snooker as a hobby its totally different - just be the best you can be in the short amount of time you can dedicate to playing the game and enjoy it for what it is to us - a game - is not that big a deal for us if you think about it although many still do put themselves under pressure which makes me laugh now when I think about it - different for the pro's or want to be's - it is their job.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        Totally agree with you Gazza, it reminds me of Steve Davis (I think) replying to someone who said he got more luck than others, Steve replied , yes and the more I practice the luckier I get, which I took to mean he was just better than everyone and worked harder as well.
        . . an oldie, but a goodie that quote. I always thought Gary player was the originator, but apparently not :-

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/07/14/luck/

Comment

Correct with Gary Player saying it Bill but you are showing your age remembering that.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
            Correct with Gary Player saying it Bill but you are showing your age remembering that.
            i thought it was gary player as well.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

In my defence I didn't say it was an original quote from Steve, (although it was the first time I had heard it)but I like Gary Player and can easily hear him saying that.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                interesting thoughts there vmax
                Murphy has lost weight and seems to be playing better now
                Allen seems to be putting weight on, and seems to be playing better now
                Murphy specifically went on a deliberate fitness regime to become trim and lost two stone. But he was playing good before 2 1/2 yrs when not trim?

Allen lucky enough did not put on weight for "the usual negative" reasons [if they can be called that]. Allen I believe put on weight for a Happy-to-be-Married reason. Hence, playing well.
                "I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." :snooker:

Success With Style : Muhammed Ali, Bjorn Borg, Magic Johnson, Mats Wilander, Michael Jackson, Stefan Edberg.

Comment

Originally Posted by mg222 View Post
                  Murphy specifically went on a deliberate fitness regime to become trim and lost two stone. But he was playing good before 2 1/2 yrs when not trim?
                  yep I read somewhere (an interview?) that he did a regime to get fitter/trimmer
                  The loss of the old cue was a blow to his performance, maybe the fitness enabled a quicker return than maybe not?

Originally Posted by mg222 View Post
                  Allen lucky enough did not put on weight for "the usual negative" reasons [if they can be called that]. Allen I believe put on weight for a Happy-to-be-Married reason. Hence, playing well.
                  ah yes, question when does this weight increase stop? I have been married a few yes now and.... ?
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Good post Byrom.

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    How many professional player practice things on the table all week and go out and get hammered at the weekend>?
                    That reminds me of the recent broadcast with Ronnie interviewing Jimmy White and Jimmy said that during tournaments, Alex Higgins would send his guys out to find a decent working mans club table so that Alex could practice as much as possible.

I have a feeling in his heyday, Alex would practice a lot.

I think if you want to be a pro these days you basically have to live the game, be extremely talented and have a fair bit of luck.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      hi Andy
                      which one has he gone back to?
                      Craftsman? JPU? RC? Exquisite? GBL? JO?
                      All interesting comments, good for some fun.

However, these Pros wake up to, breathe, eat, sleep, discuss, practice, practice, practice, and dream Snooker every moment of their life for many years. I believe they are fully aware.

One question comes to mind: Ronnie says, "it makes sense [changing cues] heck John Parris has to make fifty for me before I find the right one"! BTW I don't sell Cues and I've no connection with anyone who does.

And Most Importantly : A new Cue "Forces" you to hit the old practice table most 'deligently'. i.e. You are most focused and equally concentrating......

Heck, if I did not mind losing hundreds of pounds on resale, I'd get a new Parris cue every six months, same specs. And then, if unsuitable, sell them off.
                      Last edited by mg222; 28 August 2014, 08:19 PM.

Success With Style : Muhammed Ali, Bjorn Borg, Magic Johnson, Mats Wilander, Michael Jackson, Stefan Edberg.

Comment

[QUOTE=[B]DeanH[/B];797026] yep I read somewhere (an interview?) that he did a regime to get fitter/trimmer
                        The loss of the old cue was a blow to his performance, maybe the fitness enabled a quicker return than maybe not?

Agree with you there. And maybe he also got angry with himself and the fitness regime helped him focus on the goal.
                        Last edited by mg222; 28 August 2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by [B
                          DeanH[/B];797026] ah yes, question when does this weight increase stop? I have been married a few yes now and.... ?
                          Again, with you. However, personally I hope his Happy-to-be-Married period lasts a lot, really a lot longer than mine....
                          Last edited by mg222; 28 August 2014, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X