[Video] Could this affect my game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Video] Could this affect my game?

Hi, I've attached a video of just a few practice shots being played from me at home, as you can see, especially on the first few practice shots, when feathering, my cue just wobbles off straight ever so slightly, will this mean my cueing will not be as straight as a result? and could it be caused by me feathering too quickly? Cheers

Josh

The hand follows the eye and as you're not really looking at anything I wouldn't take this video as proof that your cue action has a wobble in it.

Practise on a snooker table not a dining table as you need to see a line of aim, put your cue on that line and keep your eyes on the target (object ball) in order to keep the cue on the line.

Comment

Looks like your alignment is out to me.
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Record yourself playing on a snooker table and then stick a short video on.

Comment

Looks to me like the elbow is hanging in towards the back. However, as has been said you need to get on a snooker table and have a defined target like an object ball or even the edge of the leather on a top pocket as your cue is moving sideways a bit too.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I also have that problem (the wiggle) but i thought of the possible reasons of in consistency of cueing, constantly changeing the wrist angle of the grip hand (flicking the wrist backwards and forwards on delivery)

Comment

yes. its a fine art to being a cuist.
              whatever table your on and whatever your looking at, if you got a wobble you got a wobble and it will translate to the snooker table. i know because ive been there. doing what your doing is good practice, i can't tell you how many thousands of time ive done what your doing, but i practiced my cueing on the kitchen work top through a hole in a matchbox.
              i can't really make out your contact points but apart for the wobble 'that is common even with inconsistent good players' your cue is not coming through straight.
              if your doing it in the club, practice on the baulk line for 15mins first before you hit some balls

Originally Posted by JoshDyson147 View Post
              Hi, I've attached a video of just a few practice shots being played from me at home, as you can see, especially on the first few practice shots, when feathering, my cue just wobbles off straight ever so slightly, will this mean my cueing will not be as straight as a result? and could it be caused by me feathering too quickly? Cheers

Last edited by j6uk; 17 July 2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I used to have a wobble in my cue action Josh, to fix it I got a good chest contact and made sure my grip was relaxed and opened when I pulled the cue back. A worry for me would be your grip hand elbow seems to migrate from your left to right as you feather, most noticeably on the second shot, to be honest I don't know what causes this, movement in the shoulder? Or not using the elbow as a pivot? Or even not opening the grip,I'm just guessing really, but I don't see how you can cue consistently while this is going on.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                  Looks like your alignment is out to me.
                  What he said - I would look to correct this by working on your line from the stance as you find the line away from the table - on the inside of the right foot or heel - and work on dropping straight down as you appear to be swaying away from the line as you walk in not getting down in a straight line - I would try planting the foot placing the cue on line first - place your cue down try and keep straight as you then move your body to the cue in a more positive less hesitant manner - not both at the same time as when you are getting down you are moving out of alignment at the back slightly - also you are losing the line as you walk in and get down hard to explain easy to show - There are various stances and ways of doing this - some people eliminate it by not walking in as much - just standing behind the shot with less movement - one step on line and down and into stance - or taller players my just bend at the knees - Jack here swivels on his hips locking into place - this is not comfy for everyone and you can adapt it to what feels comfy for you but the principle of dropping straight down on the cue and being aware of keeping the line of the shot and the cue straight on the line at the back and front can I suggest be good tips to promote consistency.

Last edited by Byrom; 17 July 2014, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Ps made me laff that you chalked your cue

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                      Ps made me laff that you chalked your cue
                      me2. also giving the table his back to psych himself for the next shot. good stuff. if he keeps it up he'll only gets better..
                      i'd do 100 a day

Comment

Thanks very much for your comments, i'll try to upload a video on an actual snooker table but I just like to practice at home if i'm trying to amend something in my technique and as for the chalking the cue and psyching myself up, just natural habits hahaha

Comment

I had a league match tonight and tried getting down on the shot quicker and stepping into the line of the shot with my right foot, which seemed to make me play a little better, however I will try other suggestions on here too

Comment

Always makes me smile when some advice helps someone a bit Josh but results are not usually instant and it takes a lot of time to address your issue actually and make it feel natural to you - this is quite a common problem with a number of players I notice - I do think technical things like this are better addressed in person by proper coach or good player who is aware of the problem on a real snooker table but the video thing does give you some good feedback and I agree with other posters that say work on this in a club using the baulk line as a guide. I still practice keeping the line all the time.

Good luck n keep knockin em in

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              Always makes me smile when some advice helps someone a bit Josh but results are not usually instant and it takes a lot of time to address your issue actually and make it feel natural to you - this is quite a common problem with a number of players I notice - I do think technical things like this are better addressed in person by proper coach or good player who is aware of the problem on a real snooker table but the video thing does give you some good feedback and I agree with other posters that say work on this in a club using the baulk line as a guide. I still practice keeping the line all the time.

Good luck n keep knockin em in
                              Cheers Byrom, i'm only 17 so hopefully with a lot of practice and willingness I can make my cueing a lot smoother and more natural, thanks again for the comments!

Comment

Working...
                              X