No announcement yet.

Aiming Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something that isn't mentioned about playing with side that I have found is distance from the object ball, pace, how much side, etc all affect the cue balls path, but distance from the object ball affects the amount of time the cue ball has to do it's stuff(poor explanation), just thought it was worth mentioning for someone starting out with playing side, like me.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

i can't remember the last time i played with side

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
        i can't remember the last time i played with side
        Is this a serious comment?
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
          Is this a serious comment?
          well yes in a way. barring safety shots if im playing a bo5 or 9, i can count the amount of times i use it and even then its hardly noticeable with little flicks here and there

Comment

its very hard to without seeing you in action :snooker:

Comment

Everyone uses side on the break shot. Everyone will use side on SIMPLE pots like an easy red into the top pocket and coming off the side cushion with a bit of running side for the blue or baulk colour.

But here's something to think about. Let's say you have an off-straight red into the top pocket and you can either use a ton of check siding to stay on the black or else just a touch of running side to get on the blue. From what I've seen of the pros and better players unless they are forced to get on the black for some reason and if they have a free choice they will ALWAYS elect to use the running side for the blue rather than a lot of check siding for the black.

And it's not because they don't know how to use the check side it's just that the more side you have to use then the more difficult the pot becomes.

I agree with j6 (god help me) on barely using side at all and then only in small amounts.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Potting half ball blacks off the spot, and playing for reds into the same pocket, you need side on these every single time. It's just not possible to play this shot any other way. You could try a stun shot, but judge that slightly wrong and you're out of position.

Comment

Potting half ball blacks off the spot, and playing for reds into the same pocket, you need side on these every single time. It's just not possible to play this shot any other way. You could try a stun shot, but judge that slightly wrong and you're out of position.
                  If the white isn't hitting a cushion then the side is not helping you at all

Terry
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post

Terry
                    Half ball black, bounce off the top cushion and back for the reds into the same pocket.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom
                      that's not what he says or means really and I don't agree with you on this point either - Yes the side reacts of a cushion more but I think it does impart on contact with the ball slightly - where as you don't think so - if I am hearing you right?

use of stun and side or bottom and stun with a bit of side might help the pot and plain ball stun or stun run with a tad of side just a fraction but in this game a fraction may be the difference between finishing straight and end of break or creating a slight angle and continuing the break - and I do know what teddy means on that type of shot -

I think Terry on this we disagree on this point and I think you are just plain ball wrong.

Have you never straightened up a pot using side?
                      No, I don't straighten a pot by using side. I will use side if the object ball is partially hidden behind another ball though.

If a player has learned to play using 'helping side' (like Willie Thorne) and it gives him more confidence then helping side is right for them. But telling everyone helping side is the best thing since sliced bread is not the way to go. Just take a look at the pros as none of them use helping side. When they need more angle on the cueball to get where they want they will cheat the pocket if they can and I'm certain you've even heard the commentators say that like I have.

Because side involves some guesswork in aiming to judge for initial throw and then return on the cueball it makes every pot where you use it a little more difficult than it has to be and the pot is the most important objective.

I'm not 'plain ball wrong' as I've seen the very small contribution helping side makes to the cueball path but then again as I said if a player has learned to pot with helping side then he should continue using it (like you have but what's right for you may not be right for the majority of players). Willie Thorne did win one ranking tournament in his career after all whereas Davis and Hendry were centre-ball strikers and didn't use helping side and they won how many tournaments between them and you could add ROS and Higgins and Murphy and Williams and a host of other top pros to that list.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

judge the side wrong and you've missed or you've lost the white or both. i think i know the shot you mean coming off the top cush, and you can play this with stun or screw. depends what you want from the white

Comment

Half ball black, bounce off the top cushion and back for the reds into the same pocket.
                          Yes, I will use side on that shot when I have to but generally I can use different amounts of top spin to achieve the same results unless my angle is too sharp on the black then I will use top right or left in small amounts. I will also use side to try and correct a mistake I've made in my position to get to the ideal spot I wanted the cueball to be in.

My statement was meant to address 'helping side' which Byrom advocates and which Willie Thorne also advocated. However most pros don't use side if there's no cushion involved.

Terry
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post

Terry
                            not really. if you wanna get a thicker contact for better position, you can flick a bit on to turn it in

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                              judge the side wrong and you've missed or you've lost the white or both. i think i know the shot you mean coming off the top cush, and you can play this with stun or screw. depends what you want from the white
                              It's when the angle is just slightly too much. The only way to stay on the reds and control the white, is to float the black in with a trace of side.

Comment

It's when the angle is just slightly too much. The only way to stay on the reds and control the white, is to float the black in with a trace of side.
                                yes but if your not to far away from the black you can play low on the white and stay amongst it

Comment

Working...
                                X