Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiming Issues

Hey all,

Having some issues aiming and really not sure what I'm doing wrong. It's affecting all shots, from very easy ones like black off the spot with a slight angle to full length of table shots. I'm fairly sure I'm simply aiming for the wrong point on the object ball (I begin every practise session by white up and down the spots and can hit my cue tip 10-in-a-row pretty consistently, so I don't think it's a problem with my cue action/delivery).

What practise exercises/things can I do that are focused solely on aiming? It's really frustrating missing simple shots I know I can (and really should) get just from aiming it off (and sometimes it's off by a good 2-3 inches, not even jawing, shocks me at times!) Even some kind of diagnostic exercise to confirm 100% it's an aiming problem would be a good start (pretty sure since my cueing up/down the spots is very solid, but nice to be certain).

Thanks in advance!

need to see you in action to properly diagnose your problems.

Comment

It's usually cue delivery that's the problem but if you think you always deliver the cue straight then try this:

Black on spot, place the yellow ball in the plant position to one of the top pockets, place the cueball for 1/2-ball black or so. Take your cue and place it on top of the cueball in the centre and through the centre of the yellow ball and to the cushion. Now place another ball on the cushion exactly centered on the cue and take away the yellow ball. Now get down into the address position and aim the cue directly at the centre of the ball on the cushion...do not even look at the black ball.

Now try and hit the ball on the cushion centre-ball and you should pot the black centre of the pocket. Use any power you want but try soft, medium and hard and if you miss the black then it isn't your aiming or sighting rather it's because you either delivered the cue off-line or else put some unintentional side on the cueball.

Try exactly the same exercise with pink, yellow, green and brown and see if you pot every ball at every power. Do not ever look at the actual object ball, just the centre of the ball on the cushion. Now if you pot every ball then you don't have any problems at all.

If you are truly delivering the cue straight then I believe it's got to be a problem with your sighting but not your aiming. When standing behind the shot everyone chooses the correct line of AIM but the problems come when they get into the address position and have lost the line of aim when SIGHTING along the cue. The body could be moving during feathering, the backswing or the delivery.

Shooting the spots is not really a true test of straight cueing. Try long blues from the baulkline with top spin and if you can pot both balls into the same pocket 10 times in a row then you have a cue action as good as Steve Davis' when he was in his prime (according to him, I'm just the messenger here). If you have trouble potting either ball then you just aren't delivering the cue straight and that's a whole other issue.

You might think (if you're having trouble) that potting both blue and cueball into the same top pocket is impossible but believe me it isn't and anyone with a straight cue action should be able to pot both balls 6 or 7 times out of 10..

Terry

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Terry says its usually a cue delivery problem, but actually I have to disagree with that in your particular case. I would say that some cueing issues are present in nearly all players, but I would say that on average, problems like yours are more often misdiagnosed, and actually an addressing and alignment problem.

You see, when you don't stand behind the CB in the correct position, then you won't cue properly by the very nature of your hand wanting to correct the cue mid-flight. Your eyes are saying "its too thick" or "its too thin", but you keep feathering and you don't stand back up, and so your cue hand swerves in or out of natural position during feathering. But because final cue delivery is nearly unconscious, it goes back "out" of alignment on strike. So whats looks like a cueing issue because your hand and body are swerving and your wrist opening/closing/etc is actually a mis-diagnosed alignment problem.

Because of the nature of our body mechanics, we will start to develop mechanical patterns on how our body and cue comes into shots. It will become more specific and consistent the more you play. It's very hard to correct these built in patterns, and so it's better to actually work on your initial standing position. Where you stand will ultimately determine where your cue ends up. So stand in the right place first.

From my point of view, it's almost always an alignment issue but that's where we start running into problems. Firstly, and most importantly, you have to understand that you should be standing behind the CB directly behind IT'S path. This is easy to understand for full ball shots because you simply line up CB, OB, and pocket. The moment, you are slicing the ball in any way (anything other than full ball), however, figuring out the CB path isn't as straightforward. You need to be able to imagine where the cue ball is supposed to go (the ghost ball).

To determine where you should be standing before you get into your shot, think of aiming in a different way. Realize that you only have direct control over one ball: the cue ball. You don't actually control the object ball at all. You THINK you control the object ball, but actually you don't (at least not with your cue). How the object ball behaves is directly determined by how you control the CUE ball. If you can control the cue ball then, by deduction, you will also control the object ball (barring kicks of course).

So the little "secret" is that you should focus your efforts on making the cue ball go from it's present location, to some future spot on the table. That future spot is the "ghost ball". And so in the art of aiming, as you feather, you are moving the cue ball from it's present location, to a future location. I actually do this in feathering: present..future..present..future.. I use my eyes and hands (thus hand/eye coordination) to determine if what I feel is what I see. The added benefit of this thought process is that I also develop better and better hand/eye coordination each time I play. Once you understand that this is all you need to do, then you will start standing in the right place, will start your bring your cue into its correct position, and will start cueing more specifically and accurately, thus greatly reducing cue delivery problems. I have actually seen this with students. The moment they "got" what I just said in this paragraph, the suddenly realized they could make the cue ball dance and still make the shot.

Get it out of your head that you are supposed to aim at the object ball. It's actually incorrect advice based on a misunderstanding of aiming. Aim instead, at the ghost ball. Realize that the ghost ball is actually the cue ball at some future point in time. So send the CB from its present location to a future location. If you can do that accurately and consistently, you can then start to diagnose cueing issues like accelerating through, pauses, etc.

In regards to where you should be looking on strike, you should be looking at the ghost ball (which is the cue ball at some future point in time).
        Last edited by thelongbomber; 18 July 2014, 11:38 PM.
        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
          Get it out of your head that you are supposed to aim at the object ball. It's actually incorrect advice based on a misunderstanding of aiming. Aim instead, at the ghost ball. Realize that the ghost ball is actually the cue ball at some future point in time. So send the CB from its present location to a future location. If you can do that accurately and consistently, you can then start to diagnose cueing issues like accelerating through, pauses, etc.

In regards to where you should be looking on strike, you should be looking at the ghost ball (which is the cue ball at some future point in time).
          Pretty good advice there longbomber apart from the H G Wellsian bollocks above. The past is gone, the future is not set, there is only now. Now is where we all exist and when playing snooker the contact point on the object ball is the only 'now' you should be interested in and looking at.

If your slant on the ghost ball as the future of the cue ball is a metaphor for finding the contact point then fine, but it can cause confusion if you keep referring to a point in future time as a ghost.

If one of your ancestors was a billiards/snooker player and you're accessing his physical prowess through genetic memory in lucid dreamstates and seeing ghosts as a result, then by all means bring your experiences to the coaching table.

Apart from that there is no such things as ghosts.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
            Pretty good advice there longbomber apart from the H G Wellsian bollocks above. The past is gone, the future is not set, there is only now. Now is where we all exist and when playing snooker the contact point on the object ball is the only 'now' you should be interested in and looking at.
            You are describing the contact point on the object ball, which by the way, so you know, hasn't actually happened until the cue ball makes contact. But yet you call it "now" and even use quotes to describe that future point in time.

Now is where we all exist and when playing snooker the contact point on the object ball is the only 'now' you should be interested in and looking at.
            Right OK, so then explain exactly how one is supposed to make finer cuts? So the cue is supposed to aim to .. what exactly? Can you aim with your cue, or do you aim with your eyes? So some future representation of where the cue ball is meant to be, or perhaps by your definition, the contact point the cue ball is meant to make on the object ball MINUS 1/2 of the perceived width of the cue ball to compensate accordingly? The concept I explain is not meant to provide a different way of aiming, but is instead meant to provide an alternate level of awareness that most players haven't thought about it. If what I suggest makes aiming more concise and deliberate, then so be it. If it's understood that the ghost ball is the cue ball, then finding the contact point, can in some cases, suddenly become much easier. Especially when the OP said he wasn't sure where the problem was.

If your slant on the ghost ball as the future of the cue ball is a metaphor for finding the contact point then fine,
            Yes, of course. What else would I be describing? I thought that would be obvious. There are only two balls involved in any potting. The cue ball and the object ball. Is the cue ball and the ghost ball not the same thing? I didn't invent the term ghost ball, i'm simply re-purposing it for my own use.

but it can cause confusion if you keep referring to a point in future time as a ghost.
            Sorry, it's not halloween and I have no intention to create a new ball apart from the two mentioned, or to imply that ghosts are real. Rather than creating confusion, I'm trying to remove it. Is the ghost ball not the cue ball?

If one of your ancestors was a billiards/snooker player and you're accessing his physical prowess through genetic memory in lucid dreamstates and seeing ghosts as a result, then by all means bring your experiences to the coaching table.
            Yes, that's it. You have found me out. I'm reviving the powers given to me by my uncle george. He is far right with the funky pants. So now that that's cleared up, I suppose I'm allowed to provide free advice on this free forum? Or wait, shall I get permission from you first, or win your approval since I'm trying to teach something different from the accepted norm?

Apart from that there is no such things as ghosts.
            What do you mean? I found one!!

Last edited by thelongbomber; 19 July 2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I love that photo LB, look at the little fella in the flat cap in the middle his cue is nearly bigger than him lol and the big fella on the left, he's saying I have a magnificent beard, look at it in awe! He's well chuffed with himself.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

how did they remember who's turn it s?

Comment

longbomber please don't take this personal but I think your advice is far to deep,remember the people you are aiming at are not accomplished players
                  so they need simple steering not such out of the box thinking.when they can play this game to a reasonable standard the methods you state can be discussed amongst their peers over a beer not as a teaching method.

Comment

I thought I said it was an alignment problem between aiming and sighting. For certain the long blue with top spin and trying to pot both balls will show where it's going wrong because generally even if you pot the blue (by compensating for any unintentional side or whatever) the cueball will consistently go to one side or the other. This method is the surest way I know to show there's something wrong in the delivery because from a purely ideal point of view a player with an absolutely straight cue delivery should not have a problem potting both balls.

A player who can pot all 10 of the blues but none of the whites has learned how to compensate for (generally) unintentional side or a slightly off-line cue delivery. This type of player can compensate and coordinate his way but as he gets older and loses his good coordination the long potting will become more erratic.

I've found with right-handed players quite a lot of them will cue right-to-left and the reverse for left-handed players even though Chris Henry says Ronnie cues left-to-right so what do I know?

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

i get where your coming from in your first post Mayur, the ghost ball is the future of the white. I think you was a bit harshly shot down there but defensive much! lol

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post

Right OK, so then explain exactly how one is supposed to make finer cuts? So the cue is supposed to aim to .. what exactly? Can you aim with your cue, or do you aim with your eyes?
                        i have asked this question a lot and every coach i have had has just told me to look at the contact point and don't worry where the cue is aiming as the brain will take care of it

Comment

I think there is a bit of confusion over what the line of aim is, it's not a line drawn from your cue, it's the path the cue ball takes.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            I think there is a bit of confusion over what the line of aim is, it's not a line drawn from your cue, it's the path the cue ball takes.
                            exactly! if you intend to use the cue as a sight line then when you applied side where would it be aimed?

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                              exactly! if you intend to use the cue as a sight line then when you applied side where would it be aimed?
                              With side, you would need to visualize the (possible) non-straight path you imagine the cue ball would take before striking the object ball. If you don't get your tip well through the white, the white will deflect more, and curve less. If you can impart better cue timing, the cue ball will swerve more, and deflect less. Stiffer shafts tend to deflect the white more, while less stiff shafts tend to deflect the white less. All too complicated so best to just rely on feel when all the mathematics fails. I doubt you could aim your cue in a specific manner - better off just feeling for how the white will respond and cueing accordingly.

Thus why commentators say that side is "dangerous".

Comment

Working...
                              X