crystalate snooker plus balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crystalate snooker plus balls

Recently acquired these beauty's stupidly cheap off of eBay, and was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is the
    original box, and how old they are?
    2014-07-19 18.19.59.jpg2014-07-19 18.20.30.jpg

Cheers
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Joe Davis introduced this game to the public in 1959, but it didn't catch on, and the last reference I have to Peradon's supplying the extra balls is in their catalogue for 1968-69. I'd say that any sets you find will therefore date to the 1960's or slightly later. The box looks like it should be earlier than this, but this retro look was right for the period.

They used to sell for good money, but maybe people have twigged that they can't actually be used unless you also have a full set of the old crystalate (bone) snooker balls.

Comment

Cheers, was trying to date them by the price on the box which says 2 1/16, then realised it was the size, doh!

Comment

Hey i have some of these, no fancy box tho but it did come with a charming letter

Comment

This must be the equivalent of trying to introduce that power snooker but back in the day - out of curiosity - what points are they worth and where on the table did they go?

Comment

"Snooker Plus was a variation on the game of snooker and it was created by Joe Davis, the reigning World snooker champion of the time.

He attempted to reinvigorate the declining popularity of the sport by adding an orange ball (8 points) and a purple ball (10 points) to the set: The idea was that this would increase the maximum break from 147 to 210, and so help to attract a greater audience.

It was introduced to the public on 26 October 1959 during a major snooker tournament, but failed to catch on"

Edit, found this "He decided to add an orange ball between the pink and blue valued at 8 points, and a purple ball between the brown and blue valued at 10 points"
            Last edited by jrc750; 19 July 2014, 10:46 PM.

Comment

A challenge to all you snooker buffs, was there ever any tournaments ever played, and if so what was the highest break ever achieved?

Comment

sounds like fun actually - you tried em out?

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                  sounds like fun actually - you tried em out?
                  I meant to give them a go but havn't yet, balls are 52.7 mm dia and weigh around 151g so slightly heavier

Comment

RonaldsBigPurpleIdea.jpg

made me laugh

By the way Culraven I give up - cant find any info - what is the highest recorded break at this game - anyone done the 210?
                    Last edited by Byrom; 19 July 2014, 11:54 PM.

Comment

We have a set we use in the handicaps at christmas with a googly ball, 1 red all the colours, makes it anyones game and it's a really good laugh. We've used them for killer a few times as well, but never seen anyone use them as intended, and can't even find a single record of a match being played, might be an easy in to the Guinness book for a half decent player!

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                        ...old crystalate (bone) snooker balls.
                        sorry, can I ask why you say that crystalate is bone?
                        Crystalate is a plastic, a formulation of nitrocellulose, camphor, and alcohol?
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          sorry, can I ask why you say that crystalate is bone?
                          Crystalate is a plastic, a formulation of nitrocellulose, camphor, and alcohol?
                          Prior to 1972 Crystalate made their balls from powdered cow's shinbone bound together with cellulose nitrate. This is the type you can still see today which usually appear to have a fine pattern of dense "cracking" on the surface. This is caused by the effect over the years of the different coefficent of expansion between these two components. Still the best ball that was ever made (IMO). Due to these dates, the all the Snooker Plus balls were made from this material, which do not mix with modern snooker sets.
                          Last edited by 100-uper; 20 July 2014, 07:47 PM.

Comment

thanks for the reply
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Anyone know how much there going for these days, with and without box?

Comment

Working...
                              X