long game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
    One thing I used to do is put a ball under my Bridge arm, you will be surprised how many times your get in shots are in front of yellow or green
    Sorry G, I can't picture what you saying,please tells us more.
    " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Its the same as the perfect lie at golf ie you don't allways get to form the ideal stance and bridge arm,you could be partially hampered,long digs in a game from baulk intraduce the baulk colours into it ie in the way

Comment

Before matches I play 3 long blues into every corner pocket to get my timing right... Two minutes, job done... game on.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy
          My long game like the rest of my game is very up and down, and that's not from day to day but ten minute spell to ten minute spell, so I could knock seven to ten shots in with object ball between blue and below pink spot, then miss three or four or five, then pot another clutch then over think what I'm doing and start missing again, I do my own head in.
          I must confess I am also a home cuer lol.

SNAP yeah i seem the same when practicing long blues. i once potted 7 in a row, so you would think i had the technique down to a tea then missed the next 6 didn't make sense, i find when i miss one shot i miss a few in a row after that.

some interesting practice routines from home some have , i might start doing some as i don't really do much at home, just the odd cueing on the dining table from time to time

Comment

Have you had a chance to try the blue ball up and back to hit the white to send it back over the brown spot yet?, I tried it today came close two or three times just half a ball wide of the brown spot, but that was in so many try's I lost count lol.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Have you had a chance to try the blue ball up and back to hit the white to send it back over the brown spot yet?, I tried it today came close two or three times just half a ball wide of the brown spot, but that was in so many try's I lost count lol.

not yet, i'm going to the club tomorrow so hopefully i give it a go then

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                not yet, i'm going to the club tomorrow so hopefully i give it a go then
                This exercise is not only REALLY difficult but the placement of the spots can come into it too. I tried it and kept hitting the cueball on the right so I got out some string and checked my spots to make sure the blue and brown spots were centered but also the mark in the centre of the top cushion. I found out the mark on the top cushion was just a hair to the right.

I tried the exercise again but the results weren't that much better. Over those distances and with even a perfect cue action along with perfect sighting (not claiming I have either) just a millimeter out on either of the spots or the centre of the top cushion will have a major effect on the results.

I guess I'm saying don't get too disheartened if you can't hit the cueball dead center back to the brown spot.

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Tell you what's really strange Terry, I can try this shot,miss the white on the way back up on what is basically a straight shot. Set the same balls up as a long straight blue and stick it in cleanly on the very next shot, which to me either means you don't have to be that accurate to pot a ball, or is the blue taking different bounces off the Cush maybe?
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

well i will be trying this on the tables at the Star Snooker Academy up here in Sheffield, theses tables are pro tables so i am guessing they are spot on, the cloths are slick and undamaged so i won't have any excuses.

at least it will give me a fair indication how straight i am cueing

Comment

My long potting is poo! I should practice it really.
                      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I have only recently began to practise some long pots. No particular setup, just random long shots. So far I have shot only about 100, The plan is to shoot at least ten thousand of those to completely lose fear (hopefully). Not sure when will I complete this mission, as my vacation time is very near the end...

My opinion is that practise must to be fun. That's why I don't like drills which are very sensitive to exact ball placement...etc. Far too tedious for me. Oh, and that difficult double kiss blue cueing routine that I suggested in another thread...please guys don't frustrate yourself with it...that is just pure masochism...

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                          ive been doing some cueing work in the kitchen over the last week and feel im cueing quite nice.
                          I hear ya.. I'm ok with toasters, but i always over cut the tea mugs? ( The microwave needs work, I hit it too thick 9/10 ).

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
                            I hear ya.. I'm ok with toasters, but i always over cut the tea mugs? ( The microwave needs work, I hit it too thick 9/10 ).
                            Damn! Would you like some coaching help with the tea mugs and microwave?

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              Tell you what's really strange Terry, I can try this shot,miss the white on the way back up on what is basically a straight shot. Set the same balls up as a long straight blue and stick it in cleanly on the very next shot, which to me either means you don't have to be that accurate to pot a ball, or is the blue taking different bounces off the Cush maybe?
                              You don't always need dead accuracy to pot balls. As distance from the OB to the pocket increases, more accuracy is required. As distance between CB and OB increases, more accuracy is required. In the short game, accuracy is a relative term. All standard pockets have at least some margin of error. Assuming you pot balls with pocket-correct and contact-correct weight, a small inaccuracy with the potting angle will be OK. Consider how many times Ronnie potted blacks/reds off far/near jaw and still made the pot? And then others that had the same inaccuracy were jawing the pots and missing? Ask yourself why that is. There is an answer.

These up/down spots exercises should be used to highlight imperfections in grip and alignment and nothing more. The long blues are great for building breaks when you get out of position and are worth practicing. Dead straight in blue screwing back to the corner is a pretty pointless exercise as you will never use that in match play. But its good for grip and alignment testing.
                              Last edited by thelongbomber; 30 July 2014, 02:06 AM.
                              Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                              My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                                You don't always need dead accuracy to pot balls. As distance from the OB to the pocket increases, more accuracy is required. As distance between CB and OB increases, more accuracy is required. In the short game, accuracy is a relative term. All standard pockets have at least some margin of error. Assuming you pot balls with pocket-correct and contact-correct weight, a small inaccuracy with the potting angle will be OK. Consider how many times Ronnie potted blacks/reds off far/near jaw and still made the pot? And then others that had the same inaccuracy were jawing the pots and missing? Ask yourself why that is. There is an answer.

These up/down spots exercises should be used to highlight imperfections in grip and alignment and nothing more. The long blues are great for building breaks when you get out of position and are worth practicing. Dead straight in blue screwing back to the corner is a pretty pointless exercise as you will never use that in match play. But its good for grip and alignment testing.
                                it's true. Ronnie and other pros pots sometimes blacks / reds off far / near to The jaw!! but that's no coincidence!! they do that sometimes to keep inch perfect position for the next shot. That is NOT because their cue action is not accurate Or less accuracy is required with this shots !!!!!(( just my opinion))......

Comment

Working...
                                X