New ferrule: thoughts, suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Stainless steel might increase the defection of the cue(depending on wall thickness) as its heavier than brass.
    Titanium would work but not easy to machine and it isn't a very shiny metal.
    In my experience, a lightweight material(like nylon) is a better option for reducing reflection.
    There is another material that can be used. It is very similar to brass but a lot stronger and doesn't tarnish as much.
    Can't really say what it is as I'm hoping to get these made by an engineering company.
    I've got one on my cue at the moment and it plays very nice and has a little less defection than brass.
    The material is used on machinery in submarines and is a bit more expensive.
    LG2,?
    LG4?
    monel?

Comment

Andy Hunter has his own thoughts on which are the best kind of ferrules to put on a cue
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfKmEDDRbU

Comment

Aluminium bronze?
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by tofushop193 View Post
          LG2,?
          LG4?
          monel?
          I was also thinking along the line of Copper alloys also, due to them having similar properties to brass

Comment

Btw how to change a ferrule? Do you chop away the old one and then fit a new one?

How to prevent the oxidiation of the ferrule?

Comment

Btw how to change a ferrule? Do you chop away the old one and then fit a new one?

How to prevent the oxidiation of the ferrule?
              Iv'e seen Stu at Greenbaize use a lighter on the old ferrule, presumably to loosen the old glue, then twist it off gently with pliers, clean up the tenon then glue a new ferrule on. I use wire wool on my ferrules

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                Iv'e seen Stu at Greenbaize use a lighter on the old ferrule, presumably to loosen the old glue, then twist it off gently with pliers, clean up the tenon then glue a new ferrule on. I use wire wool on my ferrules
                Does wire wool remove the material?

Comment

Wire wool polishes the brass ferrules, to remove the old one heat it up then twist it off.

Comment

Well yes it must do, only use 0000 grade, and as long as you only do it now and then it's not going to make much difference

Comment

i went to bought some autosol and polish the joints and ferrule. i dont know if it will have any negative effect in the long run.

Comment

To keep the ferrule clean but a bit of the finest grade micro-mesh works a treat and it isn't as harsh as wire wool.

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
                          To keep the ferrule clean but a bit of the finest grade micro-mesh works a treat and it isn't as harsh as wire wool.
                          What grade do you get Luke, I have seen it up to 12,000.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            What grade do you get Luke, I have seen it up to 12,000.

For the polishing of the ferrules i have 12,000 and it works a treat, bare in mind the R.A.F use it to polish their cockpits and stuff, it will take about 1 micron off and the finish is pretty much flawless.

EDIT I also got it off an ebay seller who does small 12 inch square for cheap, you may want to have a look on there

Comment

Cheers Luke, I'm on the case.

Comment

So is the pigeon ring type ferrule just the same as you would put on the racing pigeons ?

Comment

Working...
                                X