Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ferrule: thoughts, suggestions...

Hi.

I'm planning to get a new ferrule for my cue, my old brass one is pretty much worn off (I'm quite obsessive with re-tipping and shiny ferrules...).
    Would like to try something more durable like stainless steel or even titan. Any experience anyone? Where to order? Threaded oder non-threaded? Costs?

Thx.
    "That pocket moved!"

Stainless steel might increase the defection of the cue(depending on wall thickness) as its heavier than brass.
    Titanium would work but not easy to machine and it isn't a very shiny metal.
    In my experience, a lightweight material(like nylon) is a better option for reducing reflection.
    There is another material that can be used. It is very similar to brass but a lot stronger and doesn't tarnish as much.
    Can't really say what it is as I'm hoping to get these made by an engineering company.
    I've got one on my cue at the moment and it plays very nice and has a little less defection than brass.
    The material is used on machinery in submarines and is a bit more expensive.
    "Don't think, feel"

Comment

If I find some metalworking company that is able/willing to deliver what I'm looking for, I'm gonna go titan, same specs as my old brass ferrule which is very thin walled... just sent some requests.

Threaded or non-threaded? :dejection:
      "That pocket moved!"

Comment

non threaded!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by stejohn View Post
          non threaded!!!
          explain pls
          "That pocket moved!"

Comment

I prefer non threaded as the ferrules tend to be lighter without the thread. Also i prefer fitting the plain non threaded ferrules as its a flush fit you just make the tenon v.slightly smaller than the ferrule decent adhesive (devcon works well) and tap the ferrule down and leave for a good few hours before messing with the tip etc. Never had one come loose yet and i've fitted loads - i do have a tenon cutter which helps without this it would be more difficult.

Comment

Originally Posted by neuronic View Post
              Hi.

I'm planning to get a new ferrule for my cue, my old brass one is pretty much worn off (I'm quite obsessive with re-tipping and shiny ferrules...).
              Would like to try something more durable like stainless steel or even titan. Any experience anyone? Where to order? Threaded oder non-threaded? Costs?

Thx.
              I have aircraft grade aluminum on mine fitted by Slasher (thats his nick here). Its light and super strong. Its not as soft as brass so when I'm changing tips, it's much more durable to my blade and doesn't chip out like soft brass.
              Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
              My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                I have aircraft grade aluminum on mine fitted by Slasher (thats his nick here). Its light and super strong. Its not as soft as brass so when I'm changing tips, it's much more durable to my blade and doesn't chip out like soft brass.
                Stop using a machete and cut down the amount of run up you take, then you can switch back to brass.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Stop using a machete and cut down the amount of run up you take, then you can switch back to brass.
                  great imagery
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
                    Stainless steel might increase the defection of the cue(depending on wall thickness) as its heavier than brass.
                    In my experience, a lightweight material(like nylon) is a better option for reducing reflection.
                    There is another material that can be used. It is very similar to brass but a lot stronger and doesn't tarnish as much.
                    Can't really say what it is as I'm hoping to get these made by an engineering company.
                    I've got one on my cue at the moment and it plays very nice and has a little less defection than brass.
                    Sounds very james bond!!! Be good when cue gives you permission to tell us more. Do pay attention!!

Comment

Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
                      Is it a thermo plastic?
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        Is it a thermo plastic?
                        Thermoplastics in general won't have any advantageous properties over other plastics in this context. I would assume the material in question is probably an alloy

Comment

Could even be ceramic.

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
                            Could even be ceramic.
                            Possibly, but the ones that come to mind are either too brittle or too expensive to be viable (I would think)

Comment

There's a Canadian chap in here with user name Tiger800 who does a very, VERY nice line in ferrules. Sent me one and I've never had a better ferrule, or a better machined one, very fine bit of engineering.

Comment

Working...
                              X