Old cues valuations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old cues valuations?

I have got 3 old cues 1 of which could be very old. I'm after a bit of advice on their valuation if anyone can help, thanks in advance.
    Cue-1:-
    E A Clare & sons
    26/27 St Anne's
    Liverpool
    Cue is stamped with 16oz. The badge is faded but can just make it out. No ferrule. Maple

Cue-2:-
    J Ashcroft & co
    Victoria street
    Liverpool
    Stamped with 17oz, no ferrule. Maple

Cue-3
    E J Riley Ltd
    The Riley cue
    Stamped on cue-17, B, 2
    Tombstone shaped badge, Maple cue, there is a small bit of wood missing under to badge where it's been knocked on the floor.
    A ferrule has been fitted on this cue.

Originally Posted by Potmad View Post
    I have got 3 old cues 1 of which could be very old. I'm after a bit of advice on their valuation if anyone can help, thanks in advance.
    Cue-1:-
    E A Clare & sons
    26/27 St Anne's
    Liverpool
    Cue is stamped with 16oz. The badge is faded but can just make it out. No ferrule. Maple

Cue-2:-
    J Ashcroft & co
    Victoria street
    Liverpool
    Stamped with 17oz, no ferrule. Maple

Cue-3
    E J Riley Ltd
    The Riley cue
    Stamped on cue-17, B, 2
    Tombstone shaped badge, Maple cue, there is a small bit of wood missing under to badge where it's been knocked on the floor.
    A ferrule has been fitted on this cue.
    machine or handspliced

Comment

I think they are all hand spliced

Comment

Would need to see photos and need full specs ie length/tip size etc.
        Badge condition is important as is overall condition of the cue; the more it retains of its 'original condition' the better from a collecting perspective.
        I've started to upload short video clips of Andy Hunter discussing various cue-related topics. Most are concerning vintage cues.
        Andy has been collecting and making cues for 35 years and is keen to share the knowledge that he's gained in that time.
        See: www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVw9mC7b8cc (there will be more added over the next few weeks).

Comment

The Riley and the Ashcroft badges are very clear to see but the ea Clare is very faded as you'd expect for an old cue.

Comment

Can anyone give me some advice. When did machine spliced cues start being made? Were all cues years ago hand spliced. ??

Comment

interesting question, machine spliced cues have been around since early 1900s, not sure about into the 1800s though, look forward to the historians replies
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Potmad View Post
                Can anyone give me some advice. When did machine spliced cues start being made? Were all cues years ago hand spliced. ??
                The splicing of different woods to make a cue became popular from about 1830. Before this, cues tended to be a single piece of ash, sometimes weighted with lead. Descriptions of how they did the splicing are a bit difficult to understand due to the terminology they used, but essentially it seems to have been two methods, the "French" and "English" styles.

These techniques are described in some detail in Badminton Library "Billiards" (1896) but basically, the "French" system involved the ebony butt being sawn in two "V" shaped cuts, and the ash shaft cut away so that it fits. The "English" technique involved the use of two broad and two narrow pieces of ebony, being glued to the sides of the ash cue which is squared off to receive them.

I suspect that the earliest examples of these two techniques would both have been, technically speaking, hand-made.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                  The splicing of different woods to make a cue became popular from about 1830. Before this, cues tended to be a single piece of ash, sometimes weighted with lead. Descriptions of how they did the splicing are a bit difficult to understand due to the terminology they used, but essentially it seems to have been two methods, the "French" and "English" styles.

These techniques are described in some detail in Badminton Library "Billiards" (1896) but basically, the "French" system involved the ebony butt being sawn in two "V" shaped cuts, and the ash shaft cut away so that it fits. The "English" technique involved the use of two broad and two narrow pieces of ebony, being glued to the sides of the ash cue which is squared off to receive them.

I suspect that the earliest examples of these two techniques would both have been, technically speaking, hand-made.
                  I went looking for a copy of said "badmington library" book(s), but don't think I'll take it any farther. . .

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...p%3Byrl%3D1800

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                    I went looking for a copy of said "badmington library" book(s), but don't think I'll take it any farther. . .

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...p%3Byrl%3D1800
                    Try this one on eBay at the moment. It was relisted when it didn't get a bid at £25.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                      Try this one on eBay at the moment. It was relisted when it didn't get a bid at £25.
                      Thanks, better than buying the whole set then eh ?

Comment

Working...
                      X