X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisting cue

Greetings All,
    Request your feed back on this please.
    When feathering I can see my cue rotating to the right ( I am right handed ) has any one else dealt with this ?
    " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Yes - either a grip problem or you are twisting the wrist towards the body as you follow through - common problem - hard to break the habit too particularly comes in under pressure situations or power shots when your brain is telling you you must grip harder to hit it harder. - this is wrong.

Hard to see without a video - Maybe you are perhaps twisting the wrist or over griping relax the grip and try not to close until after the strike - try other methods - lock the wrist maybe if you like to grip and cant break this habit - or better still practice better timing opening an releasing the back fingers on the back swing - Power comes from timing not gripping the cue harder which your head is telling you to do now and this causes this problem. Relax the grip on screw backs - power shots let the cue do the work close the grip after the cue goes through the white - not before. Once happy - try and stay consistent with it - most problems are caused by the grip - hardest thing to change too.

Imagine you are holding a small bird in your hard rather than a cue butt - don't strangle the poor thing.

Comment

I found having the thumb pointing vertically down to the floor (instead of curling round the butt) stopped me from twisting the cue on delivery.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        I found having the thumb pointing vertically down to the floor (instead of curling round the butt) stopped me from twisting the cue on delivery.
        oops forgot that one yes - that'll work I do it occasionally too - Might a larger butt size on the cue help or slightly heavier cue maybe too I wonder maybe dunno
        Last edited by Byrom; 23 August 2014, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I've only just recently managed to cure this, I have to basically cock my wrist in to make it firmer. Still feels unnatural almost like starting again, as i had a very loose grip before which gave me a lot of control of the cue ball, although more often that not it was unintentional!
          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

I do this and i find playing badge down reduces it some what .

Comment

I have also tried more pronounced cocked wrist grip like Steve Davis, and indeed it does stop the cue from turning even slightly. But I'm not Steve, nor do I have his arms. It introduces additional tension in the arm for me...doesn't feel right, can't play like that.
              Changing grip for the sake of change would make me lose almost every single match for years to come, no qustion. I think it is the most delicate part of technique to change...no thanks.

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                I do this and i find playing badge down reduces it some what .
                I agree I did this too at one point

Comment

As Byrom already mentioned it ,,, Butt size is very important.imo. many players think 30 mm butt feels the same as 29.5 mm button. But even that 0.5 mm can make a huge difference in how the cue feels in your grip hand.

Comment

in my case the rotation of the cue is predominantly caused by the thumb (counterclockwise) and what helps me is delivering the cue using the forefinger only. It feels very strange though but it does help prevent the twist for me.

Comment

I had this problem and I can say it is almost always the wrist. I corrected it by cocking my wrist facing away from my body... I'd imagine u could fix it by cocking your wrist towards your body though. Hope this helps.

Comment

I too have problem. My wrist is turning to the inside. It is hard to correct it

Comment

Originally Posted by tofushop193 View Post
                          I too have problem. My wrist is turning to the inside. It is hard to correct it
                          The ONLY way to have the cue twist is with the wrist joint (although some disagree and say it can be done by allowing the cue to roll on the fingers, but I disagree). The way to correct it has already been posted above ^^ and that is to cock the wrist joint outwards while allowing the cue to lay in the middle pad of the 2nd and 3rd fingers (although all 4 fingers should be touching the cue along with the back-inside of the palm).

Then if the player keeps his thumb straight it should be pointed straight down to the floor and he should keep it that way. Cueing slowly back and forth on the baulkline with full backswing and full delivery (but SLOWLY) should allow the player to develop the correct feeling and muscle memory to achieve this).

Terry
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Sometimes I wear a wrist band, those solid wrist band from hospital. LOL I got it last time due to a wrist joint injury. It helps you to lock your wrist from twisting during the delivery... Once you find comfortable, take it off... and if you still wear on, people may give you some handicap points too haha

Comment

Cocking the wrist may reduce the problem but it may also throw your elbow inwards aswell

Comment

Working...
                              X