Aim under dominant eye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ChrisKaba View Post
    Thanks Ramon. I got clearer view and better understanding of the line after that practice.
    my pleasure,!!!!! Many pros have done this. and still doing it !!!!! is a good practice. especially for the OB players. helps you to see en look ONLY at the target and forget about The pocket.

Comment

Aim under dominant eye.

this is a wonderful exercise for freeing up your stroke,,just listen to ball cracking the back of the pocket,

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
        this is a wonderful exercise for freeing up your stroke,,just listen to ball cracking the back of the pocket,
        well, as i said, some players find this useful and some not !!! Glad it helps u freeing up The Back off your stroke !!!!

Comment

After reading up on the dominant eye thing, I noticed today I unconsciously turn my head slightly to the left. As I am right-eye dominant, this would suggest to me that people unconsciously aim correctly, as others have said.

Comment

Originally Posted by ChrisKaba View Post
            Below is how I walk into the shot under my left eye. Please correct me if I am doing any mistake.
            First I put my right foot on the line.
            [1] Then I tilt my body to the right until my left eye is directly on the line.
            Then I move my right foot forward follow by left foot to the side.
            [2] Then I place the cue on the line (under left eye), as my grip hand aiming to the shot.
            Then I lower my body until my chest touches the cue.
            Thanks
            Well done ! As a new player you should do the routines step by step as you have outlined.
            Don't worry, after a few weeks or months it will mostly become second nature. You won't even think about it.

EXCEPT Above marked [1] and [2] : I would not "tilt my body to the right" to get eye-on-line. And therefore the [2] will have to change.

What I suggest you do [which I do and works for me very well]. Do the standard walk-in and cue down, chin-on-cue, which you seem to be aware of. Now, turn your face or chin rightwards so your left is "on or near-enough to the cue".

You could if you are good enough put your sighting eye straight on the cue.

BTW I did have neck pains in the beginning...but gone after a few days.

The best Pro example to watch is Neil Robertson. If you watch him very carefully, his whole head is tilted, amazing how he is comfortable with that? Not bad for a World No.1.
            Last edited by mg222; 4 September 2014, 10:51 PM.
            "I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." :snooker:

Success With Style : Muhammed Ali, Bjorn Borg, Magic Johnson, Mats Wilander, Michael Jackson, Stefan Edberg.

Comment

Almost agree with this but would like to add that it should be to keep your nose on the line of aim as you get down (or in other words, both eyes) as then when you drop the head straight down your body will be on the line of aim and then when you get the chin on the cue stage you can turn the head right or left a bit. But in order to keep the nose on the line of aim it will be necessary to lean slightly to the grip side while standing behind the shot. However, when you bend the left leg and swing the hips to the left this will bring the head onto the line of aim without any leaning and there is no problem with bending the left leg and swinging the hips while still standing up and before you assume the address position.

In addition, when a right-handed player is using his right eye to sight it means he either has to turn the head to the left or else move the cue over to the right of his chin (thereby changing his set-up a bit). Turning the head to the left will likely introduce some strain on the lower neck as the player ages a bit and becomes less flexible. To get a good set-up I would recommend if the vision is good in the left eye then turning the head a bit to the right will relieve the possible strain on the lower neck but I understand it if a player has always had his dominant right eye over the cue and doesn't want to change eyes.

I was forced to because of eye surgery. I used to cue centre-chin but with my head turned a bit left so the cue was a bit more under my dominant right eye but the surgeon made my left eye have better vision so I had to change to sighting with my left eye. When I think about it this changing eyes it happened naturally without me having to think about it plus I immediately got more comfortable in my set-up.

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Terry, Sorry, but IMHO your above write-up is nothing but a load of contradictory confusing hogwash!

You have to stop contradicting yourself otherwise as well. That is, as I recall you have maintained that dominant eye theory "is all crap" [your words]. And you also maintained, "one should always have centre of chin on the cue".

I respectfully ask that "alignment" of common sense be allowed to prevail here. Please, do not make it sound complicated, when it is quite straight forward. You will confuse newer players. No other alignment is needed here.

Please, don't confuse newer players by using words like "alignment", just so you can stay "aligned" / true to contradictions you have advocated before.

Sighting, walk-in, cue on bridge, chin to cue, eye to cue.
                Last edited by mg222; 1 September 2014, 11:29 PM.

Success With Style : Muhammed Ali, Bjorn Borg, Magic Johnson, Mats Wilander, Michael Jackson, Stefan Edberg.

Comment

Originally Posted by mg222 View Post
                  Terry, Sorry, but IMHO your above write-up is nothing but a load of contradictory confusing hogwash!

You have to stop contradicting yourself otherwise as well. That is, as I recall you have maintained that dominant eye theory "is all crap" [your words]. And you also maintained, "one should always have centre of chin on the cue".

I respectfully ask that "alignment" of common sense be allowed to prevail here. Please, do not make it sound complicated, when it is quite straight forward. You will confuse newer players. No other alignment is needed here.

Please, don't confuse newer players by using words like "alignment", just so you can stay "aligned" / true to contradictions you have advocated before.

Sighting, walk-in, cue on bridge, chin to cue, eye to cue.
                  No one was talking to you, so why do you feel you have to comment with words like 'contradictory confusing hogwash'. Let the person who my comments were directed to make up his own mind. Also, please point out where the contradiction is since I don't see it.

Terry
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    No one was talking to you, so why do you feel you have to comment ......
                    Terry
                    Mate, I'll allow you that "shout". However, this is a PUBLIC Forum and expecting to have 'exclusive private postings' would be akin to running a personal agenda here! No public forum will allow that.

Importantly, there are newer members of this fantastic forum who are beginners or have been playing snooker for long time and want to learn more to improve. This forum is a great learning place. If I feel something needs pointing out, I feel it is my duty to speak up. Strictly business, nothing personal, mate.

Comment

Originally Posted by mg222 View Post
                      Mate, I'll allow you that "shout". However, this is a PUBLIC Forum and expecting to have 'exclusive private postings' would be akin to running a personal agenda here! No public forum will allow that.

Importantly, there are newer members of this fantastic forum who are beginners or have been playing snooker for long time and want to learn more to improve. This forum is a great learning place. If I feel something needs pointing out, I feel it is my duty to speak up. Strictly business, nothing personal, mate.
                      It was the 'contradictory confusing HOGWASH' that bothered me. Surely the original poster would benefit from getting different ideas and trying them out to see what works best for him. You saying my advice is hogwash doesn't add much to the posting.

I never thought I was posting an 'exclusive private posting' but rather some sound advice from an experienced coach and player.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

Well got to say Terry I too think your advice is slightly flawed here - maybe its just the way you worded it but you say - Drop your head down on the cue then move your head right or left? That defeats the object of dropping straight down on the line of aim as you also correctly say you should do either if you are cueing under the centre of the chin or cueing under a dominant eye surely?

I would think it is a more consistent technique to find the line either if you are dominant eyed or centre of the chin drop down on the line either under a dominate eye or centre of the chin - stay true to it and keep the head still.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                          Well got to say Terry I too think your advice is slightly flawed here - maybe its just the way you worded it but you say - Drop your head down on the cue then move your head right or left? That defeats the object of dropping straight down on the line of aim as you also correctly say you should do either if you are cueing under the centre of the chin or cueing under a dominant eye surely?

I would think it is a more consistent technique to find the line either if you are dominant eyed or centre of the chin drop down on the line either under a dominate eye or centre of the chin - stay true to it and keep the head still.
                          Read my post again. I didn't say MOVE the head, I said TURN THE HEAD SLIGHTLY right or left. I don't think it is proper set-up to turn the head to the right or left while standing behind the shot and then dropping the head straight down.

I don't agree with having the cue on the side of the chin as I believe everything should be aligned on the line of aim and any alteration of that means an adjustment in the set-up to balance it out.

But all of that is beside the point...it really doesn't matter much what the eye alignment is or even if the cue is to the side of the chin as we've all seen great players using the side of the chin. What really matters is the player is comfortable and does the same thing CONSISTENTLY. If he does that he will soon train his brain to deliver the cue straight down the line of aim (barring any other faults he might have)

Terry
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

How can you turn the head without moving it?

If a person is a dominant eyed player or chin centre of the type of player then he should drop onto the cue and stay true to the line - any movement after this surely defeats your correct advice of dropping straight down on the line of aim - is what I am saying - whats the point of dropping straight down then turning the head slightly left or right. There is a certain pro player I notice that does this however so what do I know lol.
                            Last edited by Byrom; 5 September 2014, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              How can you turn the head without moving it?
                              by rotating it ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                                by rotating it ...
                                That's moving your head...
                                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X