Peradon ebonex maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peradon ebonex maintenance

Just bought a one piece peradon lazer cue on ebay for a relatively cheap price but it arrived today a bit worse for wear so gonna give it a sand down and oiling but was wondering if any1 has worked with ebonex, does it sand down ok just like ebony or does it leave scratches when sanding. Does it take oil ? also think it has a varnish finish to the butt what's the best way to take it off any help or advise will be greatly appreciated. cheers

Not sure if you mean it is ebonised but if it is no way would I touch it as you will rub through to the wood below.

Comment

I think ebonex is just a fancy word for painted, as Andy says don't touch it unless you want to completely strip everything down to the bare wood. I wouldn't advise that though!!! I have before been asked to do this for someone on their one piece, and it turned out not to be made in one pice. Had a fixed join around 14" from the base which was made of some cheap wood and then covered with all the paint

Comment

No it's definatly ebonex here's the description off peradon website : This full size, 58 inch, ¾ jointed cue is crafted by Peradon in England from the highest grade, kiln dried, North American Ash and spliced with Ebonex. Ebonex was developed by Peradon to be the perfect rigidity for play and to be more consistent in density than any traditional timber butt to create superior playing characteristics. The ash is carefully selected is for strength and straightness before the Ebonex composition is spliced to the cue by hand and the cue is shaped to produce the distinctive four round point pattern of a hand spliced cue. The cue is then turned to its final tapered finish before the numerous sanding and finishing processes are undertaken to achieve a 'silk smooth' finish. To eliminate joint problems the two sections of the 'quick action' joint are each precision turned from a single piece of solid brass and precisely fitted 14” from the butt end to give the shaft length of 44”. The butt is finished with a distinctive Peradon Lazer diamond shaped name plate and 'quick action' butt end joint to accept the optional extensions on the 'related products' section of this page. Extensions may be fitted into either the ¾ joint in the cue or into the butt end joint This cue features a solid brass ferrule and 9 ½ to 10mm Elkmaster tip

Comment

Regardless of peradon sales spin, its still ebonised / painted to me.

Read this

http://www.abcsnooker.co.uk/Peradon-...ed-Snooker-Cue

Comment

What is it then if it's not wood?
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              What is it then if it's not wood?
              Don't know but hopefully find out soon enough I've emailed peradon. But to me it sound like they've made this composition out of whatever and HAND SPLICED it onto the cue not painted as other people have mentioned. I could be wrong and if I am I'll hold my hands up and admit i was wrong.

Comment

That's the way I read it as well Dave, whatever it is, I don't think it's painted on.

Comment

Perhaps some kind of laminate? Sound very much to me like it, never liked laminated cues, but as butt wood spliced in may be ok.
                  Last edited by justf; 26 August 2014, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                    Regardless of peradon sales spin, its still ebonised / painted to me.

Read this

http://www.abcsnooker.co.uk/Peradon-...ed-Snooker-Cue
                    LOL, the picture has 2 x different cues in it. One has the joint halfway through the hand "splices", but the close up of the joint

when split, looks machine spliced, with the joint in the "ebony" only.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                      LOL, the picture has 2 x different cues in it. One has the joint halfway through the hand "splices", but the close up of the joint

when split, looks machine spliced, with the joint in the "ebony" only.
                      Ha! Good spot, I take it that's just to show the joint, it will be the same joint on all their cues. I did notice in the description it says hand spliced ebonex butt.

Comment

I recieved an email back of peradon advising not to sand the butt down and that the butt is a composition resin.

Comment

Originally Posted by dave121260 View Post
                          I recieved an email back of peradon advising not to sand the butt down and that the butt is a composition resin.
                          Joe Davis must be turning in his grave.
                          "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by dave121260 View Post
                            I would like to see the process of hand splicing resin, maybe turned on a lathe.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              I would like to see the process of hand splicing resin, maybe turned on a lathe.
                              Why ......... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X