Snakewood EJR signature cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakewood EJR signature cues

I'm looking to sell my 2 x Beautiful Riley signature snakewood cues.

Don't know if I should sell them as a pair, as they look stunning side by side, or as 2 individual lots.

Specs are :-

cue 1 , 56" long, 8.6mm tip, 31.4mm butt, stamped 17oz and grade 1 shaft (actual 15.5oz ).
    cue 2 , 56.25" long, 10.7mm tip, 30.2mm butt, stamped 16.5oz and grade 1 shaft ( actual 15.3oz ).

Cues have been refurbished by Dave at Craftsman cues to a high standard. Pics attached.

I spoke to Mike Fearnley who bought the cues at auction , and it is thought they are at their original length "as ordered",

and can supply more details by P.M. as required.

If anyone's interested in the pair, or either individual cue, please send a pm for more details.

Last edited by billabong; 28 August 2014, 02:23 PM. Reason: typo

How does Mike Fearnley know they are "at their original length "as ordered""?
    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
      He doesn't "know" they are. He "thinks" they are, based ( I "think" ) on the collection of cues they were bought together with

( all being the same length ).

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
        He "thinks" they are, based ( I "think" ) on the collection of cues they were bought together with

( all being the same length ).
        LOL - good luck on the sale.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

LOL - good luck on the sale.

cheers sir.

Comment

could the possibility they have been reduced in length account for the difference in the actual cue weight and that which is stamped on them? Over an ounce on each cue!
            "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
              could the possibility they have been reduced in length account for the difference in the actual cue weight and that which is stamped on them? Over an ounce on each cue!
              It's not impossible. They were in a job lot of 12 riley cues from an old house up in the lakes,

all of which were around the same length, and age. This is where the thinking came from that they were perhaps

ordered at this length ?

Comment

It's not impossible. They were in a job lot of 12 riley cues from an old house up in the lakes,

all of which were around the same length, and age. This is where the thinking came from that they were perhaps

ordered at this length ?
                Maybe a batch of stock cues that were altered for a boys club perhaps.
                "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally Posted by Maverick54 View Post
                  Maybe a batch of stock cues that were altered for a boys club perhaps.
                  What are you saying ? I only need a 56-57" cue, and I'm 53. LOL

Comment

What are you saying ? I only need a 56-57" cue, and I'm 53. LOL
                    Ha ha but you dont need 12 of them Bill.

Ive been watching my Sherlock Holmes dvds. Ive deduced a batch of 12 came from a house in the lakes. Cues made between 30s and 50s I think. Scout movement and outdoor pursuit centres sprung to mind and hey presto..... Riley supplied and installed a table to a boys/girls club in the lakes and reduced the length of a dozen stock cues and retapered them to better suit the kids needs. Hence the discrepency in the weight stamped on the cues and the actual weight. Elementry my dear Watson

Comment

Yes there were ~12 cues in all, all at the same specs with the catalogues they were ordered from... but if you'd like to disagree feel free?
                      It obviously would make much more sense for him to order them all at 58" then pay someone to shorten and referrule... *roll eyes*
                      Last edited by perpetualboredom; 28 August 2014, 04:40 PM.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Old cue collector --
                      Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                      (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                        Yes there were ~12 cues in all, all at the same specs with the catalogues they were ordered from... but if you'd like to disagree feel free?
                        It obviously would make much more sense for him to order them all at 58" then pay someone to shorten and referrule... *roll eyes*
                        I wasn't disagreeing. I simply wanted to know how someone can tell they are "at their original length "as ordered"".

I didn't know there were more than two of them in the original post. 12 cues of similar length is different to two cues.

It was possible that two cues with slightly different specs were originally longer cues.

cue 1 , 56" long, 8.6mm tip, 31.4mm butt, stamped 17oz and grade 1 shaft (actual 15.5oz ).
                        cue 2 , 56.25" long, 10.7mm tip, 30.2mm butt, stamped 16.5oz and grade 1 shaft ( actual 15.3oz ).

Anyway, as I already said. Good luck with the sale!

Comment

there is a stupid urban myth created by dave smith that cues should be 58" long but it is complete nonsense, for most antique cues 55-57 inches is much more common.
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                            there is a stupid urban myth created by dave smith that cues should be 58" long but it is complete nonsense, for most antique cues 55-57 inches is much more common.
                            I'm not sure it's Dave's fault, but yes I agree - Just because someone writes something on a website doesn't make it fact.
                            Cues 30/50/70 years ago were available in any specs you choose, much like today. So no, not every cue that is short, or has a small tip has been “messed with” as some may have you believe.
                            Even the phrase 'trade catalogue' comes from what we see on some websites - but when you look at these 'trade' catalogues they often show price breaks for 1 unit 10 units etc - I'm sure Andrew can confirm that people in the trade don’t order in units of 1, so 'trade catalogue' is a misnomer in itself, these are just plain company sales catalogues.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Old cue collector --
                            Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                            (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                              I'm not sure it's Dave's fault, but yes I agree - Just because someone writes something on a website doesn't make it fact.
                              Cues 30/50/70 years ago were available in any specs you choose, much like today. So no, not every cue that is short, or has a small tip has been “messed with” as some may have you believe.
                              Even the phrase 'trade catalogue' comes from what we see on some websites - but when you look at these 'trade' catalogues they often show price breaks for 1 unit 10 units etc - I'm sure Andrew can confirm that people in the trade don’t order in units of 1, so 'trade catalogue' is a misnomer in itself, these are just plain company sales catalogues.
                              agreed one unit you would not bother to order but as to cue length the standard for many years was based on a players name i have forgotton i imagine andy hunter will remember and it was 56.25 i think!
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X