Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever practice with a striped cue ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever practice with a striped cue ball?

As a way to understand how much spin you're putting on the cue ball and what effect this has, does anyone practice with a striped cue like you see in demos sometimes? I feel it would be quite instructive to see what action I've got on the ball, wondered if buying my own white is worthwhile.

Not striped but spotty white yes - whenever I put a new tip on or get used to a new cue I use it to help get used to the cue or tip - When practising the game I think it can be useful to get feedback on a shot to help a player understand the physics of the white.

The G1's did use to come this way with a spotty white as they where thinking to use them professionally at one point - did not happen though which I think is a shame.

here is a link - or two

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aramith-wh...-/180416140265

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aramith-Pro-.../dp/B001DME0KA

Not sure if there are different types for snooker n pool I would check first make sure you get the right one.
    Last edited by Byrom; 28 August 2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
      Not striped but spotty white yes - whenever I put a new tip on or get used to a new cue I use it to help get used to the cue or tip - When practising the game I think it can be useful to get feedback on a shot to help a player understand the physics of the white.

The G1's did use to come this way with a spotty white as they where thinking to use them professionally at one point - did not happen though which I think is a shame.

here is a link - or two

or

Not sure if there are different types for snooker n pool I would check first make sure you get the right one.
      Do'nt you g be distracted by this colors ( eyes )on the ball at The time of striking ??? if you do'nt mind me asking this. I've never used them. just curious !!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
        Do'nt you g be distracted by this colors ( eyes )on the ball at The time of striking ??? if you do'nt mind me asking this. I've never used them. just curious !!!!
        Well if your eyes are on the object ball, not the cue ball! then you won't see it?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Well if your eyes are on the object ball, not the cue ball! then you won't see it?
          Well, that is the point. just at the time of striking you may now be thinking, i have to hit this red eye on the CB, (and that's the moment you could infer and be distracted ). Woulde'nt you think ??????? Of course, as i said, I never played with this CB's . thats why I asked it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
            Well, that is the point. just at the time of striking you may now be thinking, i have to hit this red eye on the CB, (and that's the moment you could infer and be distracted ). Woulde'nt you think ??????? Of course, as i said, I never played with this CB's . thats why I asked it.
            I play WR pool with them and it's never bothered me one bit.
            Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
              +1

Once your always playing with them, you forget the spots are there.

Used in Billiards a lot too, which is great to see the action on the Cueball

for some of the more subtle shots. :snooker:

Comment

I remember the time when Aramith first introduced this spotty white ball, mid 2000's or so, maybe earlier even. It was supposed to differentiate clearly between cueball and ball number 9 on the table when on camera. Yes, it was for 9ball pool primarily, but I have seen snooker variants also. It was also supposed to increase the viewer's pleasure when players were putting side spin on...
                To me, it failed miserably. I have played plenty of pool with it, all 9ballers use that ball set nowadays. They serve no purpose whatsoever, those spots. One of the most gimmicky stupid inventions in the world of pocket billiards ever.

Comment

Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
                  oky than ,, I asked this , because one of the reasons a player miss The shot is ( as you already khnw ) : he gets his eyes from the OB f and looks at the pocket (he knows is not the right way) !!! is an unconscious reaction of his brain. with other words , he is distracted by the pocket. I thought maybe it is the same case with these red eyes on the CB. Anyway ,, I got my answer, Many thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post

here is a link - or two

or

Ah yes, silly me I meant spots not stripes

At the risk of displaying my ignorance, would those ones you linked be standard size/weight or would I have to try and find one which matches whatever my snooker hall uses?

Comment

Originally Posted by mr.boy View Post
                      Ah yes, silly me I meant spots not stripes

At the risk of displaying my ignorance, would those ones you linked be standard size/weight or would I have to try and find one which matches whatever my snooker hall uses?
                      Good question - The one I have matches G1's or tournament champions better as it came with the original G1's - generally ask the snooker hall if they have a match set - I have my own - most clubs will have a set of dark blue and gold TC's - or G1's that come in a crappy silver case.

All the other types are lighter generally - though you could still use it I suppose - I hate using a light white so try to avoid using these types of balls when possible.

As for the spots you don't really notice them when playing with it and forget they are there actually - as my eyes are on the object ball when striking - I prefer it than a normal white actually and would much prefer to use it all the time because of the feedback you get from using it.

Comment

Working...
                      X