Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What makes a great snooker player?

vCash

mental toughness?

or - same as vuckoo, the old Davis phrase... 'being able to play like it means nothing, when it means everything'.

This is Nugget's Country Flag

vCash

Touch.....

This is seppo147's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bkpaul View Post
    Ok this should be an interesting topic,

shall we limit it to 1 answer per post so everyone gets a go?

I'll start out by saying:

Solid comfortable stance

For a right hander, left foot in line of the shot, right toe 45 degree's to the right, feet parallel, weight balanced.

Opposite for a left lander

Left foot in line? sorry thats like snake if you make that. Right foot to right hander on line of the shot.

This is bkpaul's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by seppo147 View Post
    Left foot in line? sorry thats like snake if you make that. Right foot to right hander on line of the shot.
    Seppo what I said was feet like this l../ sorry can't draw (dropped art in 3rd year )

This is how most play, some play with the left toe slightly to the left some with the right toe a little further right or both toes straight...

There is no perfect solution that covers everyone but the "norm" is as described.
    All smelling pistakes (c) my keyboard, I can spell but it can't type

This is bongo's Country Flag

vCash

There are so many things which make a great snooker player and even if you have one or more of those things doesn't guarantee a player being a great one. One of the most important 'things' is enjoyment. Even though you need more than enjoyment to be a 'great' player (whatever that is defined as) such as skill in potting for example, you can have all the skill in the world but without enjoyment you won't get anywhere.

This is Rane's Country Flag

vCash

Having the letters s t and e in their firstname.

This is Rane's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jonnylovessn8ker View Post
    Charisma, Quick Strategic Mind, Extremely all-rounded skills with an attacking, aggressive game.
    To be honest. I like Stephen Hendry a lot and think heīs far ahead of any other snookerplayer, but charisma isnīt a word I would use about him. Itīs a good thing for the game as such, but not needed. Another player that comes to my mind is Jamie Cope, a great player when on song, but he really looks like a very shy and somehow uncharismatic person to me.

This is adrift's Country Flag

vCash

Good safety and srategy,especially when you are not potting well. ROS didn't used to have this so much but he has this now and it has helped him win those awkward frames when his potting isn't working. John Higgins and Murphy are great at this too. Steve Davis is probably the best and it's kept him high up the rankings for many more years than his current potting ability would suggest possible. Players like Wenbo and Cope need to get this in their game if they are to become great.

This is jonnylovessn8ker's Country Flag

vCash

im not exactly sure if the word is charisma. thats the closest word i can think of. but what im trying to express is that aoura, that dashing feeling that only champions have. they need that "champion" face, whilst a true gentleman, but also a hungry competitor who doesnt take things like talent for granted, and strives for perfection. (not trying to refer to any one at the moment). meanwhile, highly respected on the green baize

im disappointed at times in that i cant find my "great" player.
    paul hunter's so called charisma as referred above. but still lacks that champion face, that intensity and ambition. alex higgins has that champion face, if we put his personality issues aside.
    likewise, both players play with flair and all rounded attacking style.

so my great player would be a hypbrid of paul hunter and alex higgins. is this hard to follow?

the problem with champs these days is that they look so dull, so little ambition, as if someone in the family had died.
    peter ebdon, graeme dott, mark williams, mark selby, ryan day and ding junhui always look like they are in severe depression. seriously, they look like nerdy students coming out of the university library, and always look like they didnt eat or sleep enough or at all.
    joe perry, maguire and king look like they are working for the mafia.

in spite of their snooker skills, they lack "something" and its certainly not lacking practice table time. i sincerely think they all put a crap load of effort into their passion and career.
    Last edited by jonnylovessn8ker; 26th September 2009 at 01:51 AM.

This is jonnylovessn8ker's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rane View Post
    Having the letters s t and e in their firstname.
    GREAT POINT. looks like the new born talents Judd trump and luca bracel will never be 7 times or more world champions. hahahha

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast