Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: aiming tips

This is davipp's Country Flag

vCash

Thanks Terry, In regards to the potting aid, I was considering it for players who are new to the game as it would be easier to show them than to explain the concept. You are so right about the delivery of the cue and yes I need to work on that myself, especially on the long shots where I believe the movement is more apparent. I'll try the video, thanks for the tip. Paul

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

Mr P:

I just can't believe anyone these days believes in using the lights above the table for aiming a pot. If that were the case then the pros when playing on TV would never pot a ball, or else they use some other and more consistent method (which I believe is the fact).

Another point would be are all lights in clubs in Britain at a uniform height so the shiny spots would be the same from club to club? When the blue is on spot and cueball just off straight and there's 3 light spots there, which one do you use? I would say none of them

Terry

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Mr P:

I just can't believe anyone these days believes in using the lights above the table for aiming a pot. If that were the case then the pros when playing on TV would never pot a ball, or else they use some other and more consistent method (which I believe is the fact).

Another point would be are all lights in clubs in Britain at a uniform height so the shiny spots would be the same from club to club? When the blue is on spot and cueball just off straight and there's 3 light spots there, which one do you use? I would say none of them

Terry

You did realise I was being sarcastic in my previous post, don't you Terry?

This is Quackers's Country Flag

vCash

Neon strip lights!!! There weren't any of those then! Of course it refers to a time when all table lighting had bulbs, lol. It was a common teaching aid a "few" years ago :-)

vCash

Mr. P:

Nope...when using very subtle sarcasm try using emoticons since they were invented for email where there's no body language or voice to help out

Terry

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Mr. P:

Nope...when using very subtle sarcasm try using emoticons since they were invented for email where there's no body language or voice to help out

Terry

Are you old enough to remember that?

vCash

Mr P:

Believe me, at 65 I'm definitely old enuff to remember working without computers and using typewriters or pen and paper! I learned my first trade (Navy Communications) using Morse Code and a typewriter.

I'm still a little suspicious of these new-fangled computer thingys and have had enough hard drive crashes to treat them with the respect I don't totally believe they warrant.

Terry

This is peebz's Country Flag

vCash

is it true our eyes get down on the line through the middle of the ghost ball off set from the object ball contact point first before our eyes look at the cue ball , is this the correct way to aim while in the standing position ie when we get down are the eyes looking at fresh air , (the cue line ) or are we looking at the actual contact point we wish to strike but making sure the head nose and eyes are on the ghost ball line thanks

This is Acrowot's Country Flag

vCash

I have never, ever, heard of this method of potting by using the lights. Certainly nobody ever mentioned it when I first started to play. There is no way that method can work, in my humble opinion. It was always a matter of learning by trying and time. Eventually it will come ...... hopefully.

After my long lay off of over 36 years, I am trying again, but must agree with Terry on this - one of the problems is delivering the cue in a straight line and am wondering if it will ever come back. Then there are all the probs of old age, too .... lol.

But still I am trying and wondering if I will ever get just a little of it back.

vCash

acrowot:

Try one of these 2 solutions to your problem of not being able to deliver the cue straight.

First and foremost, go see a good coach!

If that's too expensive or inconvenient then get a good video camera and video yourself and especially watch your body on those pots you miss. If you have a lot of experience and knowledge you might be able to coach yourself using video analysis.

You will need good lighting and make sure the camera captures your whole body and then watch it in slow motion or even better, frame-by-frame as that's when you really see the problems.

Terry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast