Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: aiming tips

This is sextolik's Country Flag

vCash

Default aiming tips

Hello guys!

I'd like to ask you for some tips for finding the correct line of aim for a shot, except "feeling" the shot.

Mostly, I rely on my feeling when I play. Sometimes my feeling is correct, and sometimes it's not.

When I stand for the shot, I don't know if I am aiming correct or not.

I wonder if there's some kind of technique you generally use in your game to know if you are in the correct line and are going to pot the ball or not.

Thanks

This is Luke Hooper's Country Flag

vCash

i know a lot of people use the 1/4 ball 1/2 ball 3/4 ball method...personally, i dont think that works for me...i just go by my feeling like you, i look at the potting angle and keep my eye on that point..aim and fire.
    what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

As far as the 'ideal' technique goes, here is the advice I offer to students:

Draw a mental line from the part of the pocket you want the object ball to hit, usually far into the inside jaw (like black off spot) or else centre-pocket (like blue off spot) to the back of the object ball (side nearest the cueball and furthest from pocket).

From that point on the object ball (or imagine another cueball covering an arc of the object ball so the 2 balls make contact right at that point - 'ghost ball') draw another mental line through the centre of the cueball.

The second line will be the line of aim for your cue.

Do all of this while STANDING UP BEHIND THE SHOT. (For a right-hander) - Now place the right foot arch right on that same second line and the left foot a comfortable distance away. The left foot can be level with the right or ahead of it, whatever is most comfortable but NEVER behind it.

Now be sure to keep your eyes on that spot on the object ball and drop your head STRAIGHT DOWN with no sideways movement and place your bridge hand on the table with the cue in the address position about 1/8" away from the centre of the cueball. This is called the 'first pause'.

If you drop your head straight down on the line of aim with your eyes on the object ball you will have to be on the correct line of aim. Ensure the arch of your right foot is directly under the cue and especially the grip hand in the address position and then start your feathering.

This method is just a written version of what most players unconciously do to aim a pot, especially the 2 mental lines but a lot of players do not ensure the right foot is also on the line of aim along with the grip hand over the arch of the foot and the forearm hanging perpendicular at the address position.

Hope this helps.

Terry

This is sextolik's Country Flag

vCash

thank you all!

I'll give it a try!

This is cantpotforshíte's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post

Draw a mental line from the part of the pocket you want the object ball to hit, usually far into the inside jaw (like black off spot) or else centre-pocket (like blue off spot) to the back of the object ball (side nearest the cueball and furthest from pocket).

From that point on the object ball (or imagine another cueball covering an arc of the object ball so the 2 balls make contact right at that point - 'ghost ball') draw another mental line through the centre of the cueball.

The second line will be the line of aim for your cue.

Terry
    Just to clear up: the line of aim for your cue is certainly not the line from the back-of-object-ball point through the centre of the cue-ball, except for straight pots.
    Only the line visualised from the centre of the ghost ball through the centre of the cueball is the correct line of aim for your cue.

vCash

cantpot is correct...I should have said once you imagine another cueball touching the object ball (in a plant directly to the pocket) and this is called the 'ghost ball' method or if you use the Steve Davis method of some derivative between full-ball, 1/2-ball, 1/4-ball, etc. the DRAW A MENTAL LINE FROM THE CENTRE OF THIS GHOST BALL TO THE CENTRE OF THE CUEBALL and this will be your line of aim for the cue.

However...most pots at any level of the game from the beginner who has only played for a little while to the professional are missed because the player has not delivered the cue straight. Players get really obsessive over trying to exactly determine the 'off-set' between BOB (Back of Object Ball) and the line of aim for the cue which can be anywhere from zero (for a straight in pot) to 1in off the object ball altogether for a very fine cut, with a thousand or so different points in between. This variable is too difficult to exactly define for any and all types of pot but players will learn this easily through expereince and if your brain is given the proper feedback obtained through staying down on the shot and observing the path of the object ball it will soon correctly analyse the potting angle and aiming line for any pot.

Terry

This is davipp's Country Flag

vCash

G'day Terry, just wondering have you used and if you have, what do you think of the "True Pot" potting aid. Have been thinking of purchasing one but would like some feedback from yourself or anyone out there who maybe using it at present.
    For those who are using it do you see improvement (consistency) in your potting?
    Cheers Paul

This is Quackers's Country Flag

vCash

The coaches in my day used to say that there is a light on the object ball for every pot available to that ball. Just aim for that light with the centre of the white.

vCash

Oh my GOD!! (quackers) I hope you are saying this as a joke! Using the lights for aiming is just wrong. (How about in Canada where they use neon tubes with defractors (sp?) there are no light spots anyway).

For davipp - I have the device and use it for my students but only those that are brand new to the game as any student with experience knows the correct potting angle as decribed earlier in this string and can get down on that correct aiming line.

The biggest problem then is they fail to deliver the cue straight down the aiming line and miss the pot. If you are making 50 breaks then you do not need any training on selecting the proper aiming line but you might need coaching on delivering the cue consistently straight.

Video yourself from directly in front or direcly behind to check and see how the cue delivery is. Too many players (including pros) believe they deliver the cue 100% but on video it soon becomes apparent they they are not.

Terry

vCash

I always hit the light and pot them more times than I miss.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast