Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which commentator do you find the most servile or fawning?

This is Cyril's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by trains View Post
    Thanks,I remember Mark Wildman doing a Dr Martens Premier League match between Steve Davis and John Higgins around 96,seemed to be a bit biased towards Davis but still a good commentator though as was Rex Williams.
    Did you know Mark Wildman was the first man to make a televised century break? It was actually before Joe Davis made his in 1962 but unfortunately Mark's wasn't recorded on tape. He lives abroad now. Spain or Portugal, I think.
    Last edited by Cyril; 30th April 2013 at 05:01 PM.

This is trains's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Did you know Mark Wildman was the first man to make a televised century break? It was actually before Joe Davis made his in 1962 but unfortunately Mark's wasn't recorded on tape. He lives abroad now. Spain or Portugal, I think.
    No but totally ot who wouldn't give a nice toasted teacake for the Beeb to rerun that show with Chris Serle in his hopeless attempt at vaguely looking like a decent player in the early 80's with Terry Griffiths etc ha ha ha.

This is Stevie's Country Flag

vCash

Well for me there are 2 great commentators, Neal Foulds and Stephen Hendry. My least fav is John Parrot, though he is great at the studio bits and interviewing etc. Courtesy mention for Virgo who is great and terrible depending on who he is sat next to.
    "It might not be on stats or titles but in terms of talent and the ability to play snooker erm......he's the best" Hendry's humbled words on Ronnie O'Sullivan.

vCash

IMHO the commentator I find irritating is John Virgo. I'm from Lancashire I hate my accent he's accent is a mix between Salford and Surrey, he just drones on.

I like all the others, I've just become a convert to Eurosport and I love listening to Joe Johnson and Phil Yates.

This is cox orange pippin's Country Flag

vCash

Hendry is very good. I like Joe Johnson and Terry Griffiths too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Phil Yates on Eurosport. Nothing wrong with his style, what he says or his critique/analysis... His voice just irritates the living fcuk out of me!
    Agree - Phil Yates is the worst by a huge margin, knows nothing about the game and his analogies are just useless comments, the rest of the others are pretty good, I get a laugh out of Willie Thorne who coaches everyone and has advise for everyone on how they should be playing their shots, sounds like Willie is a former 12 times world champion when in fact he has won nothing and that includes his betting at the races. Clive Everton sounds old and tired but at least he knows what he is talking about.

This is armstm's Country Flag

vCash

willie is briliant and one of my favourite commentators. i like it when he criticises the players. i accept he didn't win much but he acknowledges this sometimes so he's able to laugh at himself.

i like terry griffiths in small doses with his dry wit. i sometimes feel both willie and dennis are slightly wary of him, they don't know if he's going to rip into them!

JV is one of the best for excitement and as is consensus hendry has tremendous authority when he commentates.

JP and davis are slightly annoying in the commentators box but are pretty good in the studio.

I can't stand Clive's habit of stating the obvious and with perfect hindsight.

The worst by far is on eurosport is the one that sounds like an upbeat regional dj. terrible
    Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

This is Redphex's Country Flag

vCash

Worst by a long margin is Rolf Kalb on german Eurosport. Should get a lifetime achievement award for resisting to learn how to do proper commentary. Virgo is pretty annoying, as is Yates. Taylor and Thorne just seem to babble all the time. Mike and Mike also do this but not that annoying in my opinion.
    I do like McManus and Hendry, and Hendon does a proper job as well. Only heard Everton once on a streamed qualifier match, wasn't too impressed, though.

This is shmeeko69's Country Flag

vCash

I find Joe Johnson on Eurosport quite irritating, as he seems to predict the wrong shot selection for players and it makes you wonder how he ever won the world championships or even be a professional snooker player.
    John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

vCash

John Virgo has some silly quotes, such as "the dreaded mobile phone" when a phone rings in the arena. Its like he's never been out and Lives in a parallel universe.

Another quote is" he's elected to take the yellow. did he put it to a vote and the yellow got elected?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast