Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which commentator do you find the most servile or fawning?

vCash

John Virgo has some silly quotes, such as "the dreaded mobile phone" when a phone rings in the arena. Its like he's never been out and Lives in a parallel universe.

Another quote is" he's elected to take the yellow. did he put it to a vote and the yellow got elected?

This is Steve748's Country Flag

vCash

Phil Yates without doubt is the worst commentator with the most annoying voice and Australian/Californian way of speaking.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Phil Yates without doubt is the worst commentator with the most annoying voice and Australian/Californian way of speaking.
    Agreed, how anybody in tv thought he has a good commentators voice is beyond me

Donít like Dennis either, doesnít offer anything insightful imo

This is narl's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by zimrahil View Post
    Agreed, how anybody in tv thought he has a good commentators voice is beyond me

Don’t like Dennis either, doesn’t offer anything insightful imo
    He can tell us all about Selby's Missus and talk about Michaela for days on end...along with his "famous world final". Besides that he's not got much to gibber about.

This is Ronnie's tip's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by narl View Post
    He can tell us all about Selby's Missus and talk about Michaela for days on end...along with his "famous world final". Besides that he's not got much to gibber about.
    "Great crowd all week", "the beautiful trophy", a story about 'Big Bill Warbaneck' (however you spell that). There's quite a few more that have escaped me as well. He always comes across as a really nice guy, so it's a shame.

This is Mark187187's Country Flag

vCash

I think with the BBC commentators, some work better in different pairings. Dennis is usually worse when he's with JV, but can provide a few laughs. I used to like it when Terry Griffiths and Dennis were together as they would be a bit more serious, but that's going back a few years. I know some people don't rate Clive Everton, but he was always a good partner on the BBC even if he was quite dry himself. And, he fell off his chair more than once, which for me made him worth his slice of the license fee. Also his knowledge is incredible, it is a shame he doesn't pull from this knowledge as much as he used to, but maybe he's not as sharp since the BBC gave him the elbow.

This is Billy's Country Flag

vCash

For me, I feel most at home (snooker wise) when a number of factors come together. Those are: The BBC, Hazel Irving, SD and JP in the pundits chair, and DT & JV commentating (not necessarily together - so long as they're both present). And Rob Walker as MC.

Other bonuses are/would be Alan McManus and Neil Foulds commentating. It also helps things feel complete when SH and KD are on the scene too.
    Last edited by Billy; 27th March 2019 at 02:00 AM.
    "Hermann Goering would have been more of a laugh than Rimmer. I mean okay he was a drug-crazed transvestite but at least we could have gone dancing!"

This is Tim65's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CueInAction View Post
    Totally agree with you on that, really grates me the way he ends every sentance on a high note!!

Purely on the fact that he is the most negative, miserable git, Willie Thorne has to be the most irritating though...he seems to know better than anyone!! It would be more justifiable if he had a hugely successful career, yet his only claim to fame is being 'the best' break builder in "practice"...a claim which is completely unverifiable
    I vaguely remember a TV studio discussion featuring Thorne & Hendry. Thorne was asked about his Mr Maximum nickname & how many he'd made in practice.Thorne said it was 189.The interviewer then asked Hendry the same question."I don't know",he replied."You don't know how many maximums you've made?" he was asked. "No" he replied, "I stopped counting when I got to 300".

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

This is screw-back's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    BEST
    Clive Everton
    Terry Griffiths
    Neal Foulds
    Stephen Hendry
    John Parrott
    Steve Davis

WORST
    Mike Smith
    Mike Hallett
    Joe Johnson
    Willie Thorne
    John Virgo
    Dennis Taylor

From yesteryear,

Always enjoyed John Pulman (THE GREATEST), Rex Williams, Jack Karnehm, Jim Meadowcroft, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton and Ray Edmonds. Mark Wildman was pretty good on ITV as well. Dear old Ted Lowe had a lovely voice but did talk a lot of nonsense.
    Agree with you except for the inclusion of Davis in the 'Best' group. IMHO he's awful.

This is narl's Country Flag

vCash

One thing that really grates about commentators (and this one applies to Taylor quite a bit) something vaguely funny happens and they totally overblow it like it's the funniest thing since comedy began. That really gets irritating, "oh he dropped his extension, pass the needle and thread so i can stitch up my sides".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast