Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Which commentator do you find the most servile or fawning?

This is trains's Country Flag

vCash

Default Which commentator do you find the most servile or fawning?

Reason I ask is its one of my pet hates.
    I say Taylor and Doherty are the worst as I hardly remember when they've ever criticised anything,I remember Doherty criticising Ebdon's 5 minute break of 12 way back in 2005 lol.
    Disagree or divulge,shoot...

vCash

Phil Yates on Eurosport. Nothing wrong with his style, what he says or his critique/analysis... His voice just irritates the living fcuk out of me!

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

Virgo irritates me the most and I find the most accurate commentator is Hendry. Willie bothers me a bit as he is so biased for the Leicestershire players. Mark Selby can do no wrong in his eyes.

I also find Hendry is quite honest when a player screws up

Terry

This is billabong's Country Flag

vCash

I like allan McManus as well. I think it's mainly the guys who've been commentating for years who now
    sound repetitive, wheras the new(er) guys seem to bring a better understanding of the current players mindset ( for me anyway ).

Oh, and don't forget , ask Dennis nicely, and he'll tell you what every snooker player's pet hate is ( again ).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by billabong View Post
    I like allan McManus as well. I think it's mainly the guys who've been commentating for years who now
    sound repetitive, wheras the new(er) guys seem to bring a better understanding of the current players mindset ( for me anyway ).
    Yes thats another thing,outside of Ray Edmonds in the early 00's and the obvious inclusion of Hendry I think its been the same bunch ever since,Mark Johnstone Allen would be a good addition for one.

This is CueInAction's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Phil Yates on Eurosport. Nothing wrong with his style, what he says or his critique/analysis... His voice just irritates the living fcuk out of me!
    Totally agree with you on that, really grates me the way he ends every sentance on a high note!!

Purely on the fact that he is the most negative, miserable git, Willie Thorne has to be the most irritating though...he seems to know better than anyone!! It would be more justifiable if he had a hugely successful career, yet his only claim to fame is being 'the best' break builder in "practice"...a claim which is completely unverifiable

This is Cyril's Country Flag

vCash

BEST
    Clive Everton
    Terry Griffiths
    Neal Foulds
    Stephen Hendry
    John Parrott
    Steve Davis

WORST
    Mike Smith
    Mike Hallett
    Joe Johnson
    Willie Thorne
    John Virgo
    Dennis Taylor

From yesteryear,

Always enjoyed John Pulman (THE GREATEST), Rex Williams, Jack Karnehm, Jim Meadowcroft, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton and Ray Edmonds. Mark Wildman was pretty good on ITV as well. Dear old Ted Lowe had a lovely voice but did talk a lot of nonsense.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    BEST
    Always enjoyed John Pulman (THE GREATEST), Rex Williams, Jack Karnehm, Jim Meadowcroft, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton and Ray Edmonds. Mark Wildman was pretty good on ITV as well. Dear old Ted Lowe had a lovely voice but did talk a lot of nonsense.
    Do you have any info as to why the BBC didn't hire John Pulman? I agree it's hard to fathom why they didn't hire Pulman over Lowe as he had it all and was a better player than Lowe too,thanks.

This is Cyril's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by trains View Post
    Do you have any info as to why the BBC didn't hire John Pulman? I agree it's hard to fathom why they didn't hire Pulman over Lowe as he had it all and was a better player than Lowe too,thanks.
    Pulman worked for the BBC between 1979 and 81 then moved to ITV, as did Dennis Taylor and later, Jim Meadowcroft and Rex Williams. Maybe they offered more money? Certainly the BBC had it's established commentary team in Lowe, Everton, Karnehm and Spencer. ITV televised at least 4 events each season then.

Ted Lowe had been the only snooker commentator for the BBC since the early 1950's until 1977. He was first given the job as a replacement for the regular broadcaster Raymond Glendening, who had lost his voice. Lowe was at the time General Manager of Leicester Square Hall in London, which was the mecca of snooker.
    Last edited by Cyril; 30th April 2013 at 04:44 PM.

vCash

Thanks,I remember Mark Wildman doing a Dr Martens Premier League match between Steve Davis and John Higgins around 96,seemed to be a bit biased towards Davis but still a good commentator though as was Rex Williams.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast