Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Which commentator do you find the most servile or fawning?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    This is trains's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,151
    vCash
    1000

    Default Which commentator do you find the most servile or fawning?

    Reason I ask is its one of my pet hates.
    I say Taylor and Doherty are the worst as I hardly remember when they've ever criticised anything,I remember Doherty criticising Ebdon's 5 minute break of 12 way back in 2005 lol.
    Disagree or divulge,shoot...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Nuneaton

    Posts
    2,551
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Phil Yates on Eurosport. Nothing wrong with his style, what he says or his critique/analysis... His voice just irritates the living fcuk out of me!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alma, Ontario, CANADA
    This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

    Posts
    7,471
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Virgo irritates me the most and I find the most accurate commentator is Hendry. Willie bothers me a bit as he is so biased for the Leicestershire players. Mark Selby can do no wrong in his eyes.

    I also find Hendry is quite honest when a player screws up

    Terry

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cumbernauld
    This is billabong's Country Flag

    Posts
    3,198
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    I like allan McManus as well. I think it's mainly the guys who've been commentating for years who now
    sound repetitive, wheras the new(er) guys seem to bring a better understanding of the current players mindset ( for me anyway ).

    Oh, and don't forget , ask Dennis nicely, and he'll tell you what every snooker player's pet hate is ( again ).

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    This is trains's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,151
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billabong View Post
    I like allan McManus as well. I think it's mainly the guys who've been commentating for years who now
    sound repetitive, wheras the new(er) guys seem to bring a better understanding of the current players mindset ( for me anyway ).
    Yes thats another thing,outside of Ray Edmonds in the early 00's and the obvious inclusion of Hendry I think its been the same bunch ever since,Mark Johnstone Allen would be a good addition for one.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Birmingham
    This is CueInAction's Country Flag

    Posts
    273
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Phil Yates on Eurosport. Nothing wrong with his style, what he says or his critique/analysis... His voice just irritates the living fcuk out of me!
    Totally agree with you on that, really grates me the way he ends every sentance on a high note!!

    Purely on the fact that he is the most negative, miserable git, Willie Thorne has to be the most irritating though...he seems to know better than anyone!! It would be more justifiable if he had a hugely successful career, yet his only claim to fame is being 'the best' break builder in "practice"...a claim which is completely unverifiable

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northampton
    This is Cyril's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,618
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    BEST
    Clive Everton
    Terry Griffiths
    Neal Foulds
    Stephen Hendry
    John Parrott
    Steve Davis

    WORST
    Mike Smith
    Mike Hallett
    Joe Johnson
    Willie Thorne
    John Virgo
    Dennis Taylor

    From yesteryear,

    Always enjoyed John Pulman (THE GREATEST), Rex Williams, Jack Karnehm, Jim Meadowcroft, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton and Ray Edmonds. Mark Wildman was pretty good on ITV as well. Dear old Ted Lowe had a lovely voice but did talk a lot of nonsense.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    This is trains's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,151
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    BEST
    Always enjoyed John Pulman (THE GREATEST), Rex Williams, Jack Karnehm, Jim Meadowcroft, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton and Ray Edmonds. Mark Wildman was pretty good on ITV as well. Dear old Ted Lowe had a lovely voice but did talk a lot of nonsense.
    Do you have any info as to why the BBC didn't hire John Pulman? I agree it's hard to fathom why they didn't hire Pulman over Lowe as he had it all and was a better player than Lowe too,thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Northampton
    This is Cyril's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,618
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trains View Post
    Do you have any info as to why the BBC didn't hire John Pulman? I agree it's hard to fathom why they didn't hire Pulman over Lowe as he had it all and was a better player than Lowe too,thanks.
    Pulman worked for the BBC between 1979 and 81 then moved to ITV, as did Dennis Taylor and later, Jim Meadowcroft and Rex Williams. Maybe they offered more money? Certainly the BBC had it's established commentary team in Lowe, Everton, Karnehm and Spencer. ITV televised at least 4 events each season then.

    Ted Lowe had been the only snooker commentator for the BBC since the early 1950's until 1977. He was first given the job as a replacement for the regular broadcaster Raymond Glendening, who had lost his voice. Lowe was at the time General Manager of Leicester Square Hall in London, which was the mecca of snooker.
    Last edited by Cyril; 30th April 2013 at 04:44 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    This is trains's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,151
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Thanks,I remember Mark Wildman doing a Dr Martens Premier League match between Steve Davis and John Higgins around 96,seemed to be a bit biased towards Davis but still a good commentator though as was Rex Williams.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •