Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Another sighting/dominant eye question

This is laverda's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ibogine View Post
    Excuse me, but why is there so much hype about eye dominance/head position?
    No hype here, I simply reported what I had found through my own experience without coaching (country New South Wales, Australia has a severe Snooker coaching lack) and have looked to overcome the issue which I can assure you is very real. Fortunately I managed to self diagnose and immediately see vast improvement in my game ie potting success and now hopefully through Steves advice I can continue this improvement without looking like a d1ck while playing I'm sure your coaching advice is absolutely valid and correct especially if its working for you. I personally just needed to understand why I was feeling the need to change my line of aim once I got down on the shot and wanted to stop the second guessing that was going on, again I'm hoping Steves very practical advice will see me clear...

Quote Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    Try approaching the shot from your dominant side, either turn your head or your body slightly to your dominant side and sight (look at the contact point on the object ball), step into the shot, get down into the stance and address the cue ball from there.
    I'm pretty sure I saw Mark Selby do exactly that last night in his game against Ian Burns, turning his head slightly to the right as he went down on the ball and I wondered if it was related to what we are talking about. Thanks heaps Steve, this is exactly the next step I have been looking for (sorry if I've hijacked the thread form the OP) and I'll give your suggestions a go today. Cheers
    Last edited by laverda; 9th July 2013 at 11:22 PM.

This is Sidd's Country Flag

vCash

Well i dont know what to comment on here really.. Throtts is right- you would never be able to sight correct with one eye closed unless you take the cue right under the eye that is open. I am sure you must have taken the chalk at the end of table test to find out your master eye. Also try Terry's test by placing yellow on spot and white behind it to make it a straight pot at some distance. Then aim for the middle of the pocket leather now go in to the address position and then close the eyes one by one and see if the allignment changes. If it changes just by a negligible margin really you can ignore the whole thing and continue without changing your set up. If it really changes then you have to align your set up to favour the master eye. try getting confirm information by increasing the white distance from yellow.

Other than that, as Vmax said, you can simply do this.

Right handed player with right eye master = square on stance
    Right handed player with left eye master = boxers

Left handed player with left eye master = square on
    Left handed player with right eye master = boxers

other than that there are three ways of favouring the master eye i.e. tilting, moving, turning of the head. You can either tilt your head by the neck or move it to one side or turn it to favour the master eye. However, please make sure first that this is something that really really is your problem and you want to do so. I have been on this road and after much experimentation and ruining my game I am back to my senses as a normal person

SOMETHING TO LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE
    What happened was this: I am a lefty and have left eye master, which I know. but what I also knew yet did not put heed to was the fact that I am a tall person and use snooker glasses as well. I tried moving, tilting turning but nothing seemed comfortable or natural given that my vision is through glasses and I wear cylindrical number for both far sightedness and near sightedness so its a compound number. due to this my vision goes out fo focus even if I move tilt or turn my head to a few degrees. This meant that I run the cue under my left side of the chin however that felt weird and clumsy so I gave up on that. Hence all I could do was to change from boxers to square on and not knowing that i am tall and square on meant that I had ot go down with an increased bent in my bridge arm and hence I started cueing from up top and not fully down on the table and hence I was making my cue lifted from the butt without having it noticed until i posted my video a few weeks back.

So mate, consider everything before attempting anything in snooker. Hey now this is a good quote yeah Consider everything before Attempting anything in snooker hahahhaa. Anyway, hope this helps!
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

vCash

Not sure if something is getting lost in translation here but at no point have I said that playing with only one eye open is the solution. I did say that it did initially reveal the degree of the problem which in my case was quite significant. I have also said that I have been steadily coming to terms with this issue and after spending several hours today putting Steves advice into practise I can happily say that its working. My stance is indeed naturally square (left foot almost parallel with right) and with the slight turn of my head to the right I am potting very consistently with both eyes open... and because I did originally identify the degree of difference being caused by my right eye dominance, I can now see immediately that as I address the ball with my new head position that the correction is spot on therefore increasing my confidence in the pot... its like falling in love with game all over again
    Cheers,
    Mick

This is Sidd's Country Flag

vCash

WOW ... CONGRATS ... KEEP IT UP DUDE ! good luck
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

vCash

Can anybody answer this question in the first post of this thread:
    When you are down cueing a straight shot, when you close your NON-dominant eye (i.e. you are only seeing with your dominant eye), does the shot look straight to you?

Or does the shot look perfectly straight only when both eyes are open, and not with only either eye open.

Thanks!

vCash

I am right handed/ right eye dominant. If I cue with centre chin and nose facing straight ahead along the cue, then the shot doesn't look straight when I close either eye. (Which is similar to what you have described I suppose)

To solve this I have to tilt my head to the right. I have tried moving the cue to the right of my chin but the change in the setup is so big that I decided that it's not worth it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ethanat View Post
    I am right handed/ right eye dominant. If I cue with centre chin and nose facing straight ahead along the cue, then the shot doesn't look straight when I close either eye. (Which is similar to what you have described I suppose)

To solve this I have to tilt my head to the right. I have tried moving the cue to the right of my chin but the change in the setup is so big that I decided that it's not worth it.
    Same... only I am turning slightly to the right (as opposed to tilting)
    Last edited by laverda; 10th July 2013 at 10:20 AM.

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

The dominant eye thing is not as important as a lot of people think it is. If a player uses just one method, no matter what it is, and keeps his head down at the end of the shot the brain will soon learn how to play using that method as it will be getting the feedback it needs.

The real danger here is players start changing the head position or else the cue position on the chin and now they have to learn a whole new method of sighting plus they have to sometimes change their set-up to balance out the new set-up position.

It's just not necessary to cue under the dominant eye UNLESS when you get down to sight along the cue you feel you are not on the correct line of aim.

To answer the original question, I am right-handed and now left eye dominant (I was right eye domiant my whole life until eye surgery changed that). I have 20/10 (slightly far sighted) vision in my left eye with contacts and about 20/40 in my right eye (although my new contact has changed that to 20/10 now).

If I aim my cue at the edge of the leather on one of the top pockets using both eyes as I normally would to sight, then when I close my right eye (the non dominant one) and use just the left the cue looks to be aimed correctly. When I close the left eye I seem to be looking from the side and can't tell if I'm aimed correctly or not.

Terry

This is vmax4steve's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    The dominant eye thing is not as important as a lot of people think it is.

If I aim my cue at the edge of the leather on one of the top pockets using both eyes as I normally would to sight, then when I close my right eye (the non dominant one) and use just the left the cue looks to be aimed correctly. When I close the left eye I seem to be looking from the side and can't tell if I'm aimed correctly or not.

Terry
    I disagree there Terry, it's very important for those who do not have a naturally good hand/eye co-ordination and who, for some inexplicable reason, don't use their dominant eye naturally.
    As I said in my earlier post the brain uses only one eye to address the cue ball even though both eyes are open, the rest test proves this, and those who somehow address the cue ball without using their dominant eye the shot will look and feel wrong either everytime, and sometimes from one side of the table and not the other, and from certain cut pots and not others.
    A simple slight turn of the head or body to favour the dominant side is sometimes all that is needed to sight the shot correctly and address the cue ball with the dominant eye.

In your last paragraph you state that you seem to be looking from the side using your submissive eye, that's entirely normal, and you will also find the same is true when using the rest, for the brain has to take information from two eyes, so the brain sees two cues but chooses one to address the cue ball and that is the dominant one and to address the cue ball correctly the cue has to be nearer to or under the dominant eye. Just how much depends on just how dominant it is and I think that depends on the difference in clarity of vision between the two eyes as well as which eye the brain naturally chooses.
    Last edited by vmax4steve; 10th July 2013 at 04:43 PM.

This is vmax4steve's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by horriefic View Post
    Can anybody answer this question in the first post of this thread:
    When you are down cueing a straight shot, when you close your NON-dominant eye (i.e. you are only seeing with your dominant eye), does the shot look straight to you?

Or does the shot look perfectly straight only when both eyes are open, and not with only either eye open.

Thanks!
    You have read the advice given to find out which is your dominant eye and how it's used, so it's up to you now.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast