<

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The best Snooker tip/advice

This is pcb's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    pcb: (what jrc said)

Obviously you must not have thought about it a lot. Unless the cue ball and object ball are less than 6inches apart you try and hit the OBJECT ball with the tip of your cue. If you do this correctly you will accelerate through the CUE BALL and all the way to the end of the delivery which is exactly what you want to do.

I don't know if any pros think about this but they ALL accelerate through the cueball, watch Ronnie, Murphy, Hendry, Maguire, etc etc and the list goes on. My god, even j6uk does it and there's a video on here somewhere with him playing one shot.

Terry
    thanks , so are you saying aim the tip at the contact point on the object ball furthest from the pocket to pot it.

vCash

Default The best Snooker tip/advice

Chest on the cue as a contact point...

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    thanks , so are you saying aim the tip at the contact point on the object ball furthest from the pocket to pot it.
    Jesus! You are making this ultra difficult!

NO, NO, NO...ABSOLUTELY DO NOT AIM YOUR TIP AT THE CONTACT POINT ON THE OBJECT BALL (unless it's a dead-in pot). Because you are trying to make contact between 2 spheres there is ALWAYS and off-set (this means the cue is NEVER aimed at the contact point with the exception of a dead-in pot).

Just try and hit the object ball with the tip of the cue. Of course you can't hit the object ball and don't want to as it's a foul anyway. The point is to try and accelerate through and beyond the cueball.

Now that you're completely confused I can offer to show you this in a one-on-one coaching session @ $50hr or else you can check out youtube for aiming/sighting videos. Remember your eyes should always be on the object ball at the time you strike the cueball. Some say focused on the point of contact (BOB) but I have never been able to do that so I attempt to imagine a ghost cueball in the plant position AND I DO AIM THE TIP OF MY CUE AT THE CENTRE OF THE GHOST CUEBALL.

See, simples!

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

vCash

i like this new grab the pupil by the rough of the neck style of coaching tel, it really suits you

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    i like this new grab the pupil by the rough of the neck style of coaching tel, it really suits you
    Well, it ain't like that is a new question which will enlighten all and sundry. I've found when talking about the off-set in sighting/aiming I get quite a lot of blank looks because no one really thinks about it and really the point is no one should have to think about it as it all comes naturally through practice.

But I'm forced to say something when a player thinks he should always aim at the contact point.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

vCash

There is some great advice on this thread.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olboy View Post
    What's the best tip you've been given to help your game? I was told to slow my game down and stop knocking seven bells out of the balls and saw an immediate improvement. It would be interesting to collate all the advice we've been given to help others.
    forget about the last shot you just played!! and keep calm !!!

vCash

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin
    Last edited by Byrom; 23rd December 2014 at 03:25 AM.

This is JLiang91's Country Flag

vCash

Oh my god! I did a 60+ break and two 40s today! (all in practice). I normally struggle to hit 20s.. Read this thread and had a go at the "cue through and try to hit the object ball" and also slowing down my game and not whacking the balls as hard.. I realize I was cueing so well!

vCash

Using the chest as a contact point.

When I worked that out, I started scoring with much greater consistency.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast