Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Choosing the line of aim before going down on the shot

This is Samcheung001's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Yes

The idea of the action is that you can replicate it... To borrow a term from Nic Barrow 'set it and forget it'

If your head position at the pre shot stage is something that you can fold into your technique... Then why wouldn't you?
    After all, you're trying to get everything to a point that can be repeated no matter the shot type.

Everyone who has ever picked up a cue makes similar mistakes, no matter the level they are at... The discipline comes in when you recognise this, forcing yourself to stand up on the shot and reset...

We are human though and most of the time, we get in our own way at giving ourselves the very best chance to succeed.
    Thank you pottr for your advice.

vCash

Yes

The idea of the action is that you can replicate it... To borrow a term from Nic Barrow 'set it and forget it'

If your head position at the pre shot stage is something that you can fold into your technique... Then why wouldn't you?
    After all, you're trying to get everything to a point that can be repeated no matter the shot type.

Everyone who has ever picked up a cue makes similar mistakes, no matter the level they are at... The discipline comes in when you recognise this, forcing yourself to stand up on the shot and reset...

We are human though and most of the time, we get in our own way at giving ourselves the very best chance to succeed.
    Thanks, I think where I have been going wrong is looking at the cue ball as I address the shot. I've been looking at the object ball, judging the line of aim then looking at the cue ball as I address the shot.

vCash

You will find that you don't even need to look at the cue ball until you start cueing.

vCash

Great thread btw.

I've just been experiencing similar situation to jamesg and have also started stopping the small adjustments I used to make on a shot once I was down on it and do appear to be potting more balls.

Hendry made a very interesting point in commentary towards the end of the U.K. which I picked up on, where he said something like 'changing the type of shot i was playing once I was down on the shot made me miss more balls than any other thing.'

vCash

You will find that you don't even need to look at the cue ball until you start cueing.
    Recently I just found it is TRUE. And it makes a lot difference....

vCash

Stand behind the shot - select the line - fix your head on the OB - walk in with no sideways movement - drop cue down from above with bridge - put chin and chest on the cue.

If it looks like you're on the line, start your cueing arm...

If not, get up and begin the pre shot routine all over again.

The hard part is... once you're down, it's all too easy to stay down even if it's wrong... Be vigilant
    Totally concur.

I'm a tad fed up, and wary of being boring by keeping on posting this clip: but it makes a lot of sense and also try it with potting balls, not just the "spot" thing!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQ8AOLGFxE

This is Shockerz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    Totally concur.

I'm a tad fed up, and wary of being boring by keeping on posting this clip: but it makes a lot of sense and also try it with potting balls, not just the "spot" thing!!

Liked this clip. Interesting points. I might watch some of the other videos in the series.

This is Shockerz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    Totally concur.

The game drives you mad doesn't it. You think you are going down on the line of the shot and then use a video only to find out your foot is on the line but your head come from the side.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    Liked this clip. Interesting points. I might watch some of the other videos in the series.
    He is a good coach and a great guy but he makes me laugh .... sounds quite well spoken and articulate for a few sentences then says.... Wot he did worrrr - just the local Yorkshire twag.

I don't know why but it cracks me up like your mum putting on her best telephone voice.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    The game drives you mad doesn't it. You think you are going down on the line of the shot and then use a video only to find out your foot is on the line but your head come from the side.
    Don't let anyone know: but I've just started getting on what I think is the line then taking a half step to my left so that when I Approach and get online, my right (Dominant) eye is online - oh and playing with a lil bit of "Helping Side"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2