Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing Cues from Thailand

This is ADR147's Country Flag

vCash
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
    That is just a logical progression. But plenty of people are importing Thai and Chinese cues without false advertising, so I'm inclined to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.
    Yes me for a start. But then i am not putting anybody else's reputation on the line.

This is eaoin11's Country Flag

vCash

Yep, when I asked a question recently you made it clear and that's enough for me. A few cue makers have done the same, where they've stated which ones are made by them and which are imported (if any) and if they say it straight then I don't question it. I don't even care about established cue makers who don't say anything about origin because at the end of the day they still have to stand by their product and it's up to customers to ask if that's important to them. But if I were buying from a new maker who used TSF to start their business it would have to be crystal clear.
    Last edited by eaoin11; 1st January 2017 at 07:43 AM.

This is Big Splash!'s Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
    Yep, when I asked a question recently you made it clear and that's enough for me. A few cue makers have done the same, where they've stated which ones are made by them and which are imported (if any) and if they say it straight then I don't question it. I don't even care about established cue makers who don't say anything about origin because at the end of the day they still have to stand by their product and it's up to customers to ask if that's important to them. But if I were buying from a new maker who used TSF to start their business it would have to be crystal clear.
    It's ok for an established cue maker charging you a grand to deceive you but it's not ok for a TSFer to do the same when he charges you 200? REALLY?! There's a lot of mugs in this world.

vCash

The way it's going I don't think there is any need to hide a Thai cue anymore, I have seen it said they are getting the best ash nowadays anyway. I haven't got a clue what the top boys are doing, their cues are way out my price range anyway and I will never understand why anyone would pay a thousand pound upwards for a pointy stick, but it's their money so good luck I suppose.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

This is Big Splash!'s Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    The way it's going I don't think there is any need to hide a Thai cue anymore, I have seen it said they are getting the best ash nowadays anyway. I haven't got a clue what the top boys are doing, their cues are way out my price range anyway and I will never understand why anyone would pay a thousand pound upwards for a pointy stick, but it's their money so good luck I suppose.
    There'd be even less demand for cues for a grand here if the cues weren't as good as 200 quid Thai cues. There's a solution the cue makers can rely on of course. Cue makers don't have to worry about the quality of ash if they never have to find any to buy. Some cue makers in this country never go to the UK's major timber yards, ask Neil the mod. They magic ash out of the ground, provided by the moles.

Not all big names are guilty, companies like Cue Craft, Peradon, etc are doing things honestly, I believe. And bespoke cue makers like Glover, J6, Adam, Crispian, Travis, are honest too. They deserve the custom and the credit.
    Last edited by Big Splash!; 1st January 2017 at 08:08 PM.

This is eaoin11's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
    It's ok for an established cue maker charging you a grand to deceive you but it's not ok for a TSFer to do the same when he charges you 200? REALLY?! There's a lot of mugs in this world.
    There are a lot of mugs out there I agree, but are there any left who aren't aware that just about everything is imported these days? There are quite a few makers who don't really state on their website that the cues are all made by them in the UK. It's just implied by photos etc. There are a number though who have at one stage or another stated it cearly and some do that on their website. If it's that important people can ask.

The relationship between price and origin is irrelevant to me because the origin gives no guarrantee in terms of quality or playability. People have been paying premium for that misconception for ages so who cares? The brand itself is more important. The seller still has to have a good product to earn and maintain a good reputation.

But if someone were to come on TSF, show a few photos of a workshop, say they've started making cues and then almost overnight is being declared as a new master craftsman by a number of members, but then wont say expressly that they make all of the cues they are selling? That would be a special kind of B.S in my opinion.
    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Yep that is what the bod from http://www.craftsmancues.com/index.html said, and why they have all but (ho ho) stopped making cues. Apparently the US supply has dried up and Russia is the new source, which Thailand has sown up.

This is Ruairibnk's Country Flag

vCash

There are a few reasons why Thai cues are very well made and cheaper than the top cue makers in the UK, firstly the labor costs, the cue makers here work for about 20k to 25k baht a month, which is top end £500... If you think there is a Mr Ton Praram or a Mr maximus etc making your cue you're wrong, it's the same way John Parris would be at his factory. These guys are a company with a lot of money for marketing and have a team of cue makers working to make lots of cues, very good cues.
    Secondly they make so many cues they become experts very quickly and can turn a few wood blanks into a beautiful cue very fast and very cheap.
    The attention to detail in most good English cues makers is excellent, the high price reflects the high cost of labor. If anyone would like a custom made cue from an excellent cue maker here in Thailand feel free to contact me for prices and shipping.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ruairibnk View Post
    If anyone would like a custom made cue from an excellent cue maker here in Thailand feel free to contact me for prices and shipping.
    Which cue maker/s do you work with?

This is Ruairibnk's Country Flag

vCash

I've used and seen the most famous cues from here, so I've teamed up with one who I think makes the best and also has a lot of shafts which is most important as they can all splice the cues very evenly. Probably in the next month the brand will be out, just organizing it at the moment! Watch this space lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast