Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of pro standard table practice

This is trains's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
    I woud love to see Higgins and Maguire help the one ones in Glasgow and do stuff like that but they wount and they forget how much help they got to get table time and stuff
    I drove to Rayleigh Lanes club in Essex a few weeks ago to play on the Star there but wasn't allowed to play on it because it's Stuart Bingham's own table and he only allows members to play on it at weekends.

He lives somewhere around there with the table he won the 2015 world final in his house with an additional table to boot in this club yet there's no thought for anyone else even if they're willing to pay like 15 for an hours play.

Granted I could have phoned up before hand to ask but you wonder what they're giving back to the game and why should anyone give a hoot about them,I don't do twitter but Shaun Murphy at least has voiced his concerns about the amateur game and kudos to him for that.

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

Well, here in Canada as far as I know there are NO Star tables at all. There might be some in Montreal but I'm not sure. We do have Schender tables at the Corner Bank in Toronto which are in good shape with Hainsworth Match cloth. This is a 2hr drive from me which is the main reason I decided to build my house so it would take a snooker table in the basement and that has worked out good for me.

I just ca't understand how the club owners can charge 12.50 or even 15gbp for table time as here it's usually around $12hr which works out to around 8GBP.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Well, here in Canada as far as I know there are NO Star tables at all. There might be some in Montreal but I'm not sure. We do have Schender tables at the Corner Bank in Toronto which are in good shape with Hainsworth Match cloth. This is a 2hr drive from me which is the main reason I decided to build my house so it would take a snooker table in the basement and that has worked out good for me.

I just ca't understand how the club owners can charge 12.50 or even 15gbp for table time as here it's usually around $12hr which works out to around 8GBP.
    Yeah I can play on a decent table not too far from me I think the make is London Billiards for 9 per hour but the cloth's and cushions aren't as fast,I wouldn't mind that price if the characteristics were closer to a pro table.

When weighing in the cost to keep clubs afloat I wouldn't have a problem with 9 for a proper Star Riley Aristocrat or v similar spec table but 12.50 + grates a little when going into 3 and 4 hours.

This is frazz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
    I woud love to see Higgins and Maguire help the one ones in Glasgow and do stuff like that but they wount and they forget how much help they got to get table time and stuff
    Why should they spend their money for others? They maybe got free time when they were younger but they would of brushed tables or generally helped out in the club for this, they wouldn't of been given it for nothing

This is Erwan_BZH's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by trains View Post
    Granted I could have phoned up before hand to ask but you wonder what they're giving back to the game and why should anyone give a hoot about them,I don't do twitter but Shaun Murphy at least has voiced his concerns about the amateur game and kudos to him for that.
    Well, at some point, it is Stuart's own table so he's free to allow who he wants to. As a pro, he needs a table in mint conditions so I understand him to be picky regarding who plays on it. Doesn't shock me one bit.
    Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by frazz View Post
    Why should they spend their money for others? They maybe got free time when they were younger but they would of brushed tables or generally helped out in the club for this, they wouldn't of been given it for nothing
    Personally if I made a lot from the game and loved the game I'd know it would be apparent anyone keen on making it would need table time on a proper table.

Do any pro's actually invest in clubs allowing the public to play on proper tables ? Doesn't Ronnie practice at the exclusive Grove Academy ? Keeps that quite doesn't he lol

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
    Well, at some point, it is Stuart's own table so he's free to allow who he wants to. As a pro, he needs a table in mint conditions so I understand him to be picky regarding who plays on it. Doesn't shock me one bit.
    He already has a tip - top table in his home not far from there yet has a section of a public club cordoned off for his personal fancy,even if someone is prepared to play near extortionate rates for access they're still apparently not allowed,doesn't shock me one bit either sadly lol

This is narl's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by trains View Post
    I drove to Rayleigh Lanes club in Essex a few weeks ago to play on the Star there but wasn't allowed to play on it because it's Stuart Bingham's own table and he only allows members to play on it at weekends.

He lives somewhere around there with the table he won the 2015 world final in his house with an additional table to boot in this club yet there's no thought for anyone else even if they're willing to pay like 15 for an hours play.

Not really sure why he would need 2 tables. Presumably the one at his house as its the one he won his final on is still set to WSA specs for pockets etc, so why have a second one that probably doesn't have that setup?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Not really sure why he would need 2 tables. Presumably the one at his house as its the one he won his final on is still set to WSA specs for pockets etc, so why have a second one that probably doesn't have that setup?
    Yeah the barman said he owns the two,bit strange when the club's giving up a bit of real estate when I'd be willing to go up to 15.

This is Stevie1's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by frazz View Post
    Yes i mean that they could get young ones in to do stuff like that to get table time open some doors for kids

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast