Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: cue arm elbow not in staright line

This is DeanH's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Pull the cue into the chest when you get down into the address position and then relax it just a little so the cue is still just brushing the chest.
    hi TD, hope you are well
    question - is it not always "chest to cue" NOT "cue to chest"; so not to pull the cue off line?
    Up the TSF!

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    hi TD, hope you are well
    question - is it not always "chest to cue" NOT "cue to chest"; so not to pull the cue off line?
    Yes Dean, the correct 'book' instruction is to get the chest down to the cue however this player seems to be fixated on getting his elbow directly over the cue despite what we are telling him, i.e. - it doesn't really matter. So I'm trying to get him to get his elbow up as far as it will go which has the effect of locking the shoulder joint in place so he can use the elbow as the pivot point driving the grip hand like a piston. Even the best coach ever, Frank Callan says in his book he discovered the elbow position is not vitally important (within reason). Hendry in his prime had his elbow into his back a bit as does Higgins and Mark Williams being the other way.

Pulling the cue into the chest shouldn't take the cue off line IF he pulls the elbow up vertically but in addition this depends on just how far down his chest is. If the cue is 1in or less off the cushion and the elbow is up as high as possible he should be fine. I believe what's causing his problems is he is fixated on having the elbow directly over the cue. This is better with regards to the 'book' coaching method but is not vital.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

vCash

thanks for that Terry
    Up the TSF!

vCash

A few years ago I noticed (or a friend did) that I had a bit of a chicken-wing (elbow out) which I had not had before, not a problem as you say but I was not playing well with it (a lot of cueing across ). I think we did discuss this at the time.
    So to get the elbow in line with the cue I tried the following; as I go from address position to down on the shot I have the butt-hand touching my hip and the hand maintains contact with my body as I lower into the shot position; ie the hand comes up the body to bring the butt into position; until the last moment when it needs to stop touching the body and go to the natural position for cue delivery. This helped me with getting the elbow in line with the cue. I don’t need to do this anymore as "muscle-memory" is in place
    Last edited by DeanH; 24th June 2017 at 02:40 PM.
    Up the TSF!

vCash

but i was told chest should go to the cue not cue coming to the chest?

vCash

thanx a ton terry ,but as you say elbow not in the line of cue is not issue but still i think high elbow is a must coz all the pros are doing it i guess. i tried pulling my elbow up on address position as well but then the cue angle with the bed of table becomes more steeper and down on the shot doing this i loose feel of every thing

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aditya_143 View Post
    thanx a ton terry ,but as you say elbow not in the line of cue is not issue but still i think high elbow is a must coz all the pros are doing it i guess. i tried pulling my elbow up on address position as well but then the cue angle with the bed of table becomes more steeper and down on the shot doing this i loose feel of every thing
    You seem to be having a hard time understanding what we are all saying. First of all when assuming the address position GET THE CHEST DOWN TO THE CUE!!! The cue should only be 1" or less from the top of the cushion. Once you have that position and without moving the chest, pull the elbow up as high as it will go by pulling the cue into the chest. Now keep the elbow up as high as possible but relax the pulling pressure a bit until the cue is just brushing the chest however the cue remains 1in or less from the cushion.

If your chest lifts when you pull the cue up then you are doing it wrong. Get the chest down as far as you can and it should stay there throughout the backswing and delivery. If the angle of the cue becomes steeper (more steep?) then YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. Get the chest down to the cue FIRST.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    You seem to be having a hard time understanding what we are all saying. First of all when assuming the address position GET THE CHEST DOWN TO THE CUE!!! The cue should only be 1" or less from the top of the cushion. Once you have that position and without moving the chest, pull the elbow up as high as it will go by pulling the cue into the chest. Now keep the elbow up as high as possible but relax the pulling pressure a bit until the cue is just brushing the chest however the cue remains 1in or less from the cushion.

If your chest lifts when you pull the cue up then you are doing it wrong. Get the chest down as far as you can and it should stay there throughout the backswing and delivery. If the angle of the cue becomes steeper (more steep?) then YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. Get the chest down to the cue FIRST.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...UsxYlNacjA2QlU

vCash

vCash

please check the sharable link terry and see whether elbow is high or not thanx!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast