Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Cue action or cue actions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Posts
    1,651
    vCash
    1000

    Default Cue action or cue actions

    I think I have developed a cue action that works for me, it's straight, compact and simple and it puts balls in pockets most of the time. But there's no power in it, if I want some serious fizz on the cue ball I have to change it a little, to a much less consistent method which is longer with more hand movement on the backswing.

    Anyone here do the same? I always thought it was best to keep your action the same on every shot, but it's also best to avoid power shots so I'm pretty happy with it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alma, Ontario, CANADA
    This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

    Posts
    6,578
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    The only good way to get more power into a shot is to increase the backswing length. The unreliable way is to keep the backswing the same and increase the speed of the forward delivery, however this has the unfortunate side effect of jerking the upper body and leads to missing a lot more shots.

    If you can increase the length of the backswing and still stay smooth then that is definitely the way to go for ALL shots, even the ones that don't require a lot of power. It means the player is using less acceleration at the start of the delivery and if he keeps everything smooth he has many more choices when playing a shot but keeps the body jerking out of it.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Tavistock
    This is tomperty's Country Flag

    Posts
    88
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    The correct way to increase power is to lengthen your backswing. You may be finding this method inconsistent as you haven't practiced it as much as your more compact one and also because you're applying more power which always leads to inaccuracies. If I could give a suggestion that may help it would be to focus on smooth acceleration. The first 1cm of your delivery should be snail speed and then accelerate the cue up to speed.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDXX8inUNn0
    Here's a video of Martin Gould, someone praised for his compact cue action, having some fun on the table. You can see how he starts off dropping balls in with a very short backswing. When he decides to smash that yellow in with heaps of bottom-right side spin, his backswing becomes enlarged to allow for the greater power used.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Posts
    4,316
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomperty View Post
    The correct way to increase power is to lengthen your backswing. You may be finding this method inconsistent as you haven't practiced it as much as your more compact one and also because you're applying more power which always leads to inaccuracies. If I could give a suggestion that may help it would be to focus on smooth acceleration. The first 1cm of your delivery should be snail speed and then accelerate the cue up to speed.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDXX8inUNn0
    Here's a video of Martin Gould, someone praised for his compact cue action, having some fun on the table. You can see how he starts off dropping balls in with a very short backswing. When he decides to smash that yellow in with heaps of bottom-right side spin, his backswing becomes enlarged to allow for the greater power used.
    To be fair that was a bit of an easy clearance... is that the best you could find?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Tavistock
    This is tomperty's Country Flag

    Posts
    88
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
    To be fair that was a bit of an easy clearance... is that the best you could find?
    I'm confused... Have you not linked the same video that I did previously?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012

    Posts
    1,436
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    I think I have developed a cue action that works for me, it's straight, compact and simple and it puts balls in pockets most of the time. But there's no power in it, if I want some serious fizz on the cue ball I have to change it a little, to a much less consistent method which is longer with more hand movement on the backswing.

    Anyone here do the same? I always thought it was best to keep your action the same on every shot, but it's also best to avoid power shots so I'm pretty happy with it.
    Just had a session of watching the Ronnie O'Sullivan masterclass videos on YouTube. In the first episode he shows his preferred basics of having cue held so grip arm is vertical, then he says if he wants to add power he just allows the cue to overhang the bridge a bit more which gets you the longer backswing. It's the simplest explanation I've seen and like Ronnie says, he's not done to bad on it lol

    https://youtu.be/puD4Lv_m7w0
    "It's like a nightmare, isn't it? It just keeps getting worse and worse."

    Quote from Color of Money, reminds me of the forum.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Posts
    1,651
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Thanks for the replies, gives me something to think about

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Posts
    209
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, gives me something to think about
    "patience is a virtue" (it seems like Quote day

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pthXRHxj18A has some good views of his right hand.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Posts
    6,937
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markz View Post
    Just had a session of watching the Ronnie O'Sullivan masterclass videos on YouTube. In the first episode he shows his preferred basics of having cue held so grip arm is vertical, then he says if he wants to add power he just allows the cue to overhang the bridge a bit more which gets you the longer backswing. It's the simplest explanation I've seen and like Ronnie says, he's not done to bad on it lol

    https://youtu.be/puD4Lv_m7w0
    I take it he must pull back to the bridge most shots, it's the only reason I can think to push more cue out for more power as he can't lengthen his swing otherwise.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Posts
    6,937
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    "patience is a virtue" (it seems like Quote day

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pthXRHxj18A has some good views of his right hand.....
    It just really annoys me how he times that ball, why can't I do that?
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •