Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

This is Csmith's Country Flag

vCash

I find his stuff to be a mixed bag. There is the odd good idea or nugget, but I still watch his videos since at this point I think I have enough knoweledge about the game to sort the good from the bad. There were a few safety shots he demonstrated that I liked and used in tournament play.

This is Catch 22's Country Flag

vCash

About a year and a half ago I happened to have the pleasure of being in the company of a current top 16 player. I was watching him play some shots .

He potted a 3/4 ball yellow into its own pocket (the yellow was not on its spot , it was closer to the brown ) to run maybe 6inches across for the green . He played the shot with about a tip of left hand side (which would be running side for that shot ) . Cue ball was nowhere near the cushion

I asked him why he played it with side and he just said "everyone would " . There was an ex pro there aswell and he said it just makes the shot easier and most pros or top amatures would play it with side .

Found that quite interesting ......I still don't play with side though lol

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
    I asked him why he played it with side and he just said "everyone would " . There was an ex pro there aswell and he said it just makes the shot easier and most pros or top amatures would play it with side .

Barry Stark says something similar in one of his vids. I think it is due to hitting the OB a bit more centrally.......

This is chrisg's Country Flag

vCash

Everything he has said in the book/video has worked for me - so I have no complaints.

I agree with Roy that you can't hit the centre of the white 100% of the time. You may think you are and you may try to but IMO it is not possible. So why bother trying every time? - And he is only talking about using a mere trace of left or right (half a tip) and not extreme side.

As for the walk in - he is right, if you can sort out the approach that's 90% of the shot done!

Like anything you have to practice it, and hone it....

Some people don't like it when someone comes up with a technique that goes against the "textbook" theory - we are not robots, it should be about what suits the individual, and you shouldn't say to someone you have to do it like this just because the textbook says "do it this way." There is no right or wrong IMO.
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

vCash

So he is saying that his Idiosyncracy ie not being able to deliver the cue online from an online approach will help us all?

Old timer1 year ago
    Hi Roy, am I right in saying you are pointing your cue outside the line because when you get down on the shot and move your hips out the way that pulls your cue across onto the correct line?
    Snooker Secrets
    Snooker Secrets1 year ago
    Hello old timer, yes when you approach out side the line, when your foot goes out when you get down on the shot you will find you are EXACTLY on the line you want. All the best Roy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdnje5W1NZQ

I'm all for "there being no right or wrong way, just what works for each individual player" but this advice could well screw (pun intended) a fair few players, imho.

This is neil taperell's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
    About a year and a half ago I happened to have the pleasure of being in the company of a current top 16 player. I was watching him play some shots .

He potted a 3/4 ball yellow into its own pocket (the yellow was not on its spot , it was closer to the brown ) to run maybe 6inches across for the green . He played the shot with about a tip of left hand side (which would be running side for that shot ) . Cue ball was nowhere near the cushion

That's exactly what my mate showed me [ also an Ex-Pro ranked in the 30's ] , made a marked improvement in my game .
    Neil

This is chrisg's Country Flag

vCash

I'm afraid I disagree with you.

I have struggled with the textbook theory on walk in and approach, (I have coaching by someone else) and it's all down to the coordination of my feet on step in and I end up on the wrong line.

With this technique I have noticed when I am down on the shot I am hitting the ball in the same line that I saw when I stood up and back from the table to first see the line.

The textbook way of doing it is designed for the 90% of people who can get on with that way of doing it. It doesn't mean it's the right way, it just means it's the popular way! For those 10% of people who just cant get their heads around the textbook way they need to find some other way and this was the way that seems to have cured my issue with approach and walk in.

Like I said before, IMHO there is no right or wrong way, just the way it suits the individual!
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

vCash

I am agreeing with you in that you have the same idiosyncracy....

I'm not sure where you get the 90% of people from: but I agree (with the above) 90% of the shot being done if the Prep is right, although 90% may be an underestimation.

vCash

Roy is like the grandfather of my dreams..

Can you imagine having someone that keen on snooker helping you as a kid. Don't discount someone just because of age he does know a few things.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
    That's exactly what my mate showed me [ also an Ex-Pro ranked in the 30's ] , made a marked improvement in my game .
    I take it this is helping side? I do often notice that a lot of pros seem to be lining up to the left or right of the cue ball, but I thought it was maybe just the camera angle making it look like that. Do you use it on every pot?

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast